Re: Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Post by amber66 »

Thats good news Henpen )like(
Amber.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Ah, it's definitely a Woo thing. Dory Grey has just started her Moult 2.0 and is chucking feathers everywhere with abandon. It's obviously a new tactic - moult a bit, lul into false sense of security, moult a bit more, have another couple of weeks rest, moult a bit more, string it out as long as chickenly posibly for sympathy treats... Clever these Woos.

Now you should know that us GodHenMothers DEMAND regular poopdates about our favourite GodHen )loo(
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Wonderful for news on my godhen, thankyou HP, i do hope your doggie is not suffering too much, so lucky to have such a caring mummy {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Thank you Sandy, she isn't suffering, just very old and a bit batty!

Ok Karen, you asked for it: poop update - hen poo virtually normal with occasional perfect poos. What a clever girl. Bloody cats next door poop update: frequently in her dustbathing spot and very smelly. }hairout{

Wiggy has a special wing feather that seems to get more special every time it regrows. Properly corkscrewed this time round. Still trying to remember how to post a photo >coc<
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Ha ha! Marley does the same in the girls favourite dustbathing spot in the greenhouse. Small acts of petty revenge must be very fulfilling :-D

Excellent to have the detailed poopdate, thankyouverymuch. Do let me know if you'd like me to return the favour re: Dory. Very happy to oblige.

I hope your lovely dog isn't finding things too difficult at the moment, and is having a good quality of life. Bless her, I know you'll be taking very good care of her {hug}
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

KarenE wrote:Ha ha! Marley does the same in the girls favourite dustbathing spot in the greenhouse. Small acts of petty revenge must be very fulfilling :-D

Excellent to have the detailed poopdate, thankyouverymuch. Do let me know if you'd like me to return the favour re: Dory. Very happy to oblige.

I hope your lovely dog isn't finding things too difficult at the moment, and is having a good quality of life. Bless her, I know you'll be taking very good care of her {hug}

Yep Karen, that would be fascinating {rofwl}
And NO, cats around the world, pooping where someone is trying to bathe is NOT OK!

Well, this was very nearly an awful, distressing final Wiggy update... yike*
Now I have ramped up the tension...

We have the garden separated off so Wiggy has a nice large area of her own, but the wire fencing is becoming a bit knackered and in places it had become so squished down that Wiggy could hop over it if she wanted. But, being a cautious hen by nature, she never does. Well, I say never...

Yesterday, Wiggy was free ranging, I was pulling the wheelbarrow out of its storage place, and Maisie was with me, minding her own business, having a sniff about on the opposite side of the wire fence. But the thing about Wiggy is that she isn't often particularly interested in free ranging. What she wants is treats. And seeing me nearby but not supplying her with food, she started pacing up and down the fence. Then, she clearly thought to herself, "Well, I will go and remind the food dispenser that she is not doing her job". The path she took meant her going past Maisie, who lunged at her. Wiggy did a flappy running step out of the way and turned round to berate Maisie from a mere 3ft away, in the way only a chicken can - "buk-buk-buk buk buk-buk.

This doesn't seem ideal, but actually THANK GOODNESS she didn't run properly because - despite being a geriatric - Maisie has never been able to resist a chase. However, it was not Wiggy's angry telling-off that stopped Maisie in her tracks, but me sprinting (not something I am known for doing) towards her whilst screaming "NOOOOOO!!!"

So disgruntled dog was dragged unceremoniously and unwillingly back indoors and Wiggy was tempted back around the fence and into her run - radiating relief to be safely home. It isn't a high fence. She could easily flap over it, but she hasn't worked that out. I don't expect she ever wants to see the opposite side of that fence up close again!

And I have learned a valuable lesson about being complacent {warn} - I spent the next hour sorting out that fencing
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I expect Wiggy is well aware she can cover that fence but that is. secret she is keeping to herself until she realy wants something over it {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Meant to reply to this when I first read it yike* And yike* for what nearly happened to Wiggy too!!

Hope the stately old dame is well recovered and back behind her mended fence, and looking forward to a fab Christmas )x5(
Karen
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Hooray, we have finally (mostly) overcome the leaky roof. It's almost certainly temporary but it was a blooming nightmare all last winter and every time it rained throughout the year. I finally found a large enough tarpaulin and some really long bungees and despite being very simple, it is better than our previous Heath Robinson roofing attempts. Finally, it's reasonably dry inside the run, which is nice because it is so cold out there that I think the floor would have completely frozen if it had been at all damp, and then Wiggy would have got ickle frostbitten tootsies.

The Grande Dame herself is in fine fettle just now, and no furry boots are safe from an exploratory peck. Well, I say exploratory but mostly it's Wiggy Turpin - "Stand and deliver - hand over the treats and you will be allowed to leave with all your extremities!"

(OK how many of you are now thinking of Adam Ant?
Right, now how many are thinking of Diana Dors in that Prince Charming video?
Just me? Showing my age a bit? Well, I'm unrepentant and off to listen to all of his songs on Youtube...
"The Devil take your stereo and your record collection...")
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Did you end up in an Adam Ant YouTube rabbithole? I do that with Abba videos. :-D

Good to hear the Grande Dame is doing well. Dory Grey, my own Grandish Dame, ended up on my knee today for a snuggle and a warm. Most unusual but just goes to show how cold and discombobulated she was!
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Did you know Diana Dors had a rice krispie on her cheek to look like a wart?
I am older, stand and deliver is more your lupins or your life :-D
All hail the wonderful Wiggy....my favourite gold hen :-D :-D :-D

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I didn’t know that, Sandy!

Wiggy has got a bumble on the side of her toe. It’s been lovely having her bumble-free for so long, so I’m pretty sad about it.

I have decided on hibiscrub soaks, bandaging and the antibiotics I had left over from Miranda, which I had also previously had the same type for Wiggles’ foot. It has been four days on the a/bs and probably too soon to expect an improvement. But it is no better.

In herself she seems robustly healthy, is laying pretty much every day, and stands up after the bandaging andbimmediately nags me for treats.

I do the bandaging on the tiled floor in my hall and have a window in my door, so gave the postman quite a shock the other day, as I knelt there with a chicken between my legs, tea towel thrown over her head, bandage in one hand, scissors in the other - and the noise of the letterbox made her shake her head free and glare at him! Talk about a double-take!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

HP i bet you were the talk of the mail sorting office {rofwl} aw poor Wigs, last thing the old girl needs, lots of >fi< to my godhen .

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh what a pain! I soaked Dory's bumble for 2/3 weeks in the end, practically every night. Some people swear by epsom salts too although my vet recommended hibi. I was half tempted to get some drawing ointment on it too, help the callus off and get the pus out but I didn't in then end, although having seen what it can do to my finger I could be tempted to give it a go. Drawing ointment is the old fashioned name for it I think it has a proper clinical name. Just googled it - magnesium sulphate! (Don't think this is what they used on my finger but it worked a treat!"

Dory's black scab is still there but the bumble didn't get any bigger so I think it's done. In fact I think she had several pop up one after the other. Just as well really as I couldn't have coontinued bathing her with my hand out of action.

If Wigs is good at getting bandaged, perhaps pop a cotton wool pad with hibi on it and some drawing ointment on it under the wrap?
Karen
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Thanks Karen. I have been using something that the vet gave me the first time round - it's a type of gel that is both antibiotic and also draws out the pus (apparently he thinks it will still be fine - despite being five years old).

The treatment hasn't gone particularly smoothly. I really thought I had got on top of it at one point, as the scab on her toe was getting slightly lighter in colour and smaller, and then one day Wiggy managed to get the flipping bandage off and the next day it looked very black again and started to get bigger no matter what I did.

I had pretty much decided a visit to the vet was the only option and then a few days ago I noticed her toe was getting hot. So I rushed her in and (if you are of a squeamish disposition, look away now) the vet said that he could pop a bit of local anaesthetic cream on it and scrape it out there and then.

I had taken my daughter, who is home from uni, along and we both held Wiggy during the procedure. Having applied the cream, he got out a pair of tweezer scissor things and started pulling the nasty stuff out from the centre of the bumble. Wiggy was very calm but unfortunately, once he had got about half of the bumble removed, the wound really started to bleed. The vet (who was lovely) said, "Ah well, it's a good sign that there is a good blood supply" - but also, "Ohh... that is quite a lot of blood" and, "Oh dear, it doesn't seem to be stopping, does it?" And the blood just kept on coming, soaking the pad thing he had put down to catch it, and then my daughter went green and began to faint...

The vet was quite shaken, not so much about the bleeding but seemingly about the gory scene he had unwittingly put us through, because he kept apologising. He eventually used something very strange, which looked like a piece of spaghetti with a brown nobble on the end, and poked it into the wound to staunch the flow. I wondered if it was a bit like one of those styptic things you can get for shaving cuts.

Anyway, it is all sorted and we went away with antibiotics, and by the time we were home, Wiggy was back to her usual self and was obnoxiously harassing us for treats - and by the next afternoon she had laid an egg and the toe was nice and cool, so the antibiotics have done a good job on the infection. And now, of course, to see if all this unexpected excitement has finally put paid to the blooming bumble >fi< >fi<

On a side note - I'm becoming a dab hand a chicken foot bandaging. Not a very transferable skill, sadly...