My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , Freezer is not doing to well , her comb is looking good and pink. Just struggling with her size . Feed her sweet corn and a new med water and honey which she liked .
Give her some more food tonight and metcam . She still has the bright eyes . I may try and give her a warm bath tonight to see if that helps her a little . sad time a head and may take her to the vets to PTS .
Light Sussex is still being given her meds and running around pretty quick and eating and drinking on her own .
Rest of the smaller flock ok . They have plenty of room now and the rain is not stopping them digging up the worms and creepy crawlies in the garden.

Keep well and safe .
Bob
Sheds.co.uk Half Banner 1
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi as expected , the loss of my kitchen friend freezer . Died in her sleep last night peacefully after a last meal of sweetcorn and honey water and a very large dose of Metcam .
Will miss the pleasant sound of cheeping in the morning .
Only hen now worried about is the Light Sussex hen with canker still running around and getting up high in the coop .
.6 ml twice a day .(Big N had .2 ml twice a day ) .
Will see if any improvement over the weekend .
Left the run gate open this am and only one hen came out to investigate the food .
By the time i was about to go to work the ducks was eye balling me through the back door glass quacking .
very dark in the morning now and not light till 7.00am
Worry about there safety at times but they love the freedom .
Stay safe and well as it is getting bad again like March . Take care alround .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well Dark mornings and dark evenings and work , Covid 19 and all the other trouble of the world interfering with life .
Unfortunately what comes with life is death . My Light Sussex hen died yesterday afternoon from Canker . I hate this canker with a passion . Meds do not seem to work full stop.
Rest of the flock well and check them as much as I can . The ducks are loving the rain , most of the hens are out worm hunting in it as well .
Cleaned the coops out and fresh straw to nest in .
Sweet corn by the bag each day 77 pence a time . (each) .
Going to spend another 30-40 pound on feed and straw etc to get through the next month .
Buy it just in case a lockdown causes trouble .
Not hoarding just bulk buying which I have been doing for many months as it stops me spending a fortune and wasting it.
Still 3 cabbages left from the last case .
Given 3 lettuces over 2 days .
6-8 eggs a day 2 duck eggs .
Not selling them for extra money just a luck bonus for regularly buyers .
No complaints with the duck eggs .
So hopefully I can sit back in the garden at every chance I get and enjoy my legs being pecked by hens and ducks alike .
Buy also next week mealworms as last bag mixed into the corn .
House be altered end of November (Toilet being moved and the kitchen turned into a loo , washing m/c room and a new lay out kitchen .
Front toilet changed to a clothes cupboard and plaster hopefully finish the plastering not done since last March .
Up for sale before Xmas out before the Stamp duty changes again .
Keep well and safe .
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

How big is your flock now?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire