Mrs B's Wild Chicks

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Mrs B's Wild Chicks

Post by sandy »

Mrs B wrote:Delia was in the compost bin being her usual dense self

I may have to start a campaign to stop dissing poor Delia {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

When I poo picked the cube this morning there was a big bloody clot in the nest box )loo( )loo( , none of the girls have bloody ends or have anything poking out so I was mystified.

I cleaned the poop trays later and there was another clotty mess and an egg (couldn't see the shell) so I can only guess that one of the none layers has come back into lay and had a bit of trouble. There was a wind egg in the next box too.

All the girls seem healthy and happy so I am flummoxed.

I shall go down again later and keep an eye on them, as until I spot who had the problem I can't take her to the vet.

Maybe it was just a softy pushing through a clot?
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Maybe so hey MrsB, ours haven't had a blood clot before.

What's a wind egg?
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Wild Chicks have been out twice today for a rampage through the garden, I will have to cover two of the compost bins as the )de: keep digging through it and flicking it into the road and over the garden, I will just get some horse muck first to mix into the full bins to get them rotting along.

This morning Delia was fine but now she is making an odd noise, she is still tearing round like a kid and troughing away so I think I will just keep an eye on her and if no better in 24 hours then take her to the vet. I think she has just made herself hoarse shouting at everyone, there has been a hell of a lot of crow, jackdaw and unidentified bird of prey activity in the garden over the weekend and the jackdaws still seem very noisy so it is possible Delia has been shouting at them.

Another wind egg today so someone is coming into lay again, my money is on Duchess as her comb seems much redder than it did at the weekend.

There seems to be a lot of squabbling and squaring up to each other at the moment so either the high winds are making Wild Chicks skittish or with some coming back into lay there is a reshuffle in the pecking order.

*Bev wind egg is a baby sized egg usually without a yolk*
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

There was something on here no long ago about blood in an egg, or pop this on health sure Manda will have an answer. If Delia is breathing okay I reckon it is the shouting, my Abbie yelled for 48 hours when I had her mate pts and she only every squeaked thereafter. Hope she is okay cause I am getting very fond of her {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Thanks Sandy, at one time I would just panic at every little health issue but now if a hen seems fine in herself then I give her 24 hours before a vet visit.

Luckily the vet opens until 8pm weekdays so I can take Delia along after work. They will be amazed at her denseness though.

When I did the last introduction of new girls Puddleduck made herself hoarse for two days and Morticia has growled and croaked since day one.

I wonder if the vet (Mr Hottie) will have a look at me while I am there, I stood up underneath a wall flower pot and gave myself a right bang ... I am not safe to be out alone really.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

OUch yike* Oh yes I remember your vet +f+ Any excuse eh?

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Just hope he doesn't try to take your temperature then Mrs B :oops: {rofwl} )run(
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Annie wrote:Just hope he doesn't try to take your temperature then Mrs B :oops: {rofwl} )run(

{rofwl} {rofwl}
LYN
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hows my favourite girl Delia?

Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

lol Sandy, Delia seems fine today caught her beating up Mogwai when she thought I wasn't watching, Mogwai then beat up Amelia so Ameli beat up Delia. See Delia is too dense to grasp the whole pecking order thing.

Really windy here so the chicks only had a quick run around the garden before lining up to go back in the run except Delia who was busy working out how to walk around a log that she had just walked around }hairout{ , see dense {warn}

Right going down to tuck them all up into bed now.
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

{rofwl} Could you not video them and put it on here, they sound right little characters :-D
LYN
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Lyn I can barely take photos, I will ask DD how to use the video function on my phone.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Wild chicks have spent lovely few hours helping me with the compost turning, by helping I mean jumping into the bin I was trying to turn and getting in my way. 10 chickens narrowly avoided being impaled by a garden fork, Mogwai is above such things so watched scornfully from the wall and Morticia was in the nestbox.

I have pressure washed all the day perches and junk from the run so everything is lovely and clean in there, although I am sure the rotters will do everything they can to cover every clean surface with poop.

I can still smell horse muck )loo( it is putting me right of my biscuits, well not too mych as I have scoffed one already
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I know I have mentioned it before but pressure washing the day perches (old branches) and ladder ramp is such a satisfying task, they go from grubby manky looking things to clean bright things.