Sandy's Pink Ladies

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Sandy's Pink Ladies

Post by sandy »

Remind me never to make statements on here please! Since 2009 the Chicken Cottage has never had any type of mite in it until today! Poo picking Olive leapt up and ate something on the door, I rubbed my finger and yike* red mite! Hence tonight i have only just come in from the henhouse as Martha-Joans,Beth and Elsa are having to sleep with their 5 elders in the cube. Oh what fun that was. Beth bless got in on her own accord and hid at the back but Martha-Joans and Elsa were definetley not keen.
I have spent the day nursing Lucy Ped. I found her in her run this morning led on her side she had fallen over and couldn't get back up after a day in the sunshine in the garden she finely began nibbling at grass and drinking. When I had to go out I put her in my Battie Quarters(now the med den) and on my return she had eaten a lot of wet pellets but she is so light and weak. I put her back in with her family but she fell over again so back to BQ. Late afternoon she was walking about slowly but surely so back in her home again where she put herself to bed. It is a waiting game now bless her, her owner came back to day and said he would put her out of her misery! Told him to leave her until I get home from work as she does eat and drink and priority is to make sure she is safe and comfortable. I will probably kidnap her to spend the day in BQ again.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Sandy, you are a true chicken champion. I think you should wear a cloak!
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh not the dreaded red mite! Hope it's a minor infestation and quickly fixed.

Poor Lucy Ped. Hope she is feeling better today with some Sandy TLC.
You definitely need a cape, Superhero Sandy the Chook Protector!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oooh Sandy, how awful! I suppose that explains why some of your girls have become dirty stop outs. I don't know what I'd do if I got the dreaded m---e, our house is such a complicated structure I have no idea how I'd scrub it all down. I squirt smite all over it every month in the hope that prevention is better than cure. What're you doing to treat it?

Poor Lucy, she is such a lucky girl she has you to give her good palliative care. In fact all the ped girls are lucky they have you as a neighbour, you take such good care of them. {hug} to you and Lucy.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Good luck getting rid of them. They are horrid little things. After ours went broody we discovered them around the edge of the coop when putting my hand in and finding them all over my arm. I'm sure a thorough clean out and scrub down followed by a serious dosing of smite will sort them out.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Sad news I am afraid, got home on monday and Lucy was unabke to get up, her feet were curled up and it was pitiful to see her trying to eat her pellets from the bowl she was led by. Phoned vets who said you havent got an appointment so it will cost £60 for emergency and £28 for consultation. I would pay practically anything to save a girls life but I was taking her to let her go to sleep. I replied I was not paying £88 for a hen to be pts and if they wouldnt see her she would have to die in agony( I did pile it on) I had never spoken to this receptionist before, most of them know me very well. I got put on hold, after a few moments she said bring Lucy up now. Chris the usual vet saw her inbetween appointments so I didn;t stay with her but he assured he he would be with her, he did have a soft spot for Lucy(maybe because he only gets gingers from me!
Very very sad, Millie her mate did a lot of the where are you Lucy cry!
I am off to France monday so big clean out today and henwatch. Martha-Joans quieter than normal, checked her bottie, so red didn't realise she still had so many feathers missing from her bum then saw Elsa yanking them out and eating them, MJ bless is moulting. Hate leaving the girls hate it when someone is under the weather and mum is going away yike* Silkiebabe is still broody, Star has got very close to Millie now, Elsa is till up until it is really dark and Beryl getting a bit of an anorak about lap sitting. Today was idly pulling a bit of dried poo from above her legs and Beryl started preening my arm! I have to say it was lovely, like a little massage )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh dear, poor Lucy. You really want to give them a fighting chance for as long as possible but sometimes we just have to make a decision for them. You gave her great care, which frankly is more than her owner did. {hug} to you and lovely Lucy.

I paid around that to get my beautiful Weeps put to sleep, plus cremated. Extortionate but had to do it. For some reason Cassie wasn't as expensive although exactly the same service.

Bless Beryl for preening you! Perhaps she thought your feathers were ruffled?

Bonne vacancy en France - ou alley vous? (not sure I should vouvoyer or toutoyer)

I see you renamed Gwen's diary thread (had a bit of a moment there, I thought something might have happened to Gwensie!) how did you do that? I fancy renaming mine, didn't know you could
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Sandy.
So sorry to hear that Lucy has passed away. Sending you {hug} .
Amber.
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Sorry you lost Lucy - worst part of chicken keeping {hug} {hug}
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

That is sad news about Lucy ped, Sandy. She was so lucky to have you fighting her corner, poor little girl.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Thankyou for your kind words re Lucy, here are some photos I hadn;t had time to load of Lucy's last spa treatment
Beryl was breathing hard while lap sitting, weird because she dosnet do it when mooching around? Not happy with her as bum too hard so she had just had a spa and a blow dry, was treat time and she was fine running after them and pecking the younger girls. I have put a big purple spot in gentian violet on her back and will ask neighbour to keep an eye on her. Oh Beryl mum really needs this time off please don't be sick in the morning >fi<
Got the camera out again a few days ago and today, never can have enought photos of my darlings
Martha-Joans, ooh moulting bless her
Olive, yes she is finally Top Hen she and Iris had a scrap again today then Ruby tried her luck(again) and ousted Iris further down the pecking order to no avail

Demoted Iris

Ruby
Bezzie mate Beryl, come on girlie
Night owl Elsa

Bez
Girls chilling after breakfast this morning
Karen it seems Gwen used the pm to ask the Lord to alter the title of her thread. Lucy actually ended up costing me nothing.
I swept out the office area today, the others wanted to help but got fed up all except Gwen who was spider eating
Very industrious of her but we dont want flies Gwennie!
At the same time Ruby took just 5 minutes to lay her egg, just think this girl was due to be culled March 2013 as she had gone by her egg laying date!

Got caught in a thunderstorm this afternoon, neighbours wife(lucy"s owners) and I ran in the Ped house. Silkiebabe was got out and smoothed, she was her 40th birthday present. They are going to get another 4 hens very soon so I will be monitoring the situation.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Beautiful pics of Lucy, she was a very pretty girl. {hug}

Beryl's panting - maybe it was the heat? Ronnie cosied up to me today in the garden for a preen, then plopped down next to me for a rest and she was breathing heavy too. I'm sure it's the heat.

Excellent pics of your girls as ever. Ruby looks very pleased with herself with her stop-motion egg laying. Did you say Ruby was successful or unsuccessful in her bid for 002? Imagine Psycho Olive making it to 001, perhaps she and her arch enemy Iris may tussle it out from now on. Your pecking order top echelons may be a moving feast.

I love chickens, but then I read something like 'Gwen was eating spiders' and I wonder why I love them... {rofwl}

Have a great holiday Sandy. Hope Gwen manages to get wiffy while you're away.
Karen
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

So sorry to hear about Lucy at least she had you to love and care for her Sandy she was.a gorgeous looking girl {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Well girls have been kept very well since I left them. Late sunday night Martha-Joans and Elsa were up in the dark not being allowed entry to the cube so I got a bale of straw and opened up the fumigated cottage and popped them in so they could sleep in peace while I was away. Guess where I found them on the night I got back, yes all in the cube! Contrary madams aren't they. Beryl still has that non malleable under carriage and is panting not mouth open with heat, so do I take her to the vets and be told yes she does have eyp and best to put her down or do I leave her as she is at the moment as she is scratching, eating and drinking and see what happens >coc< Bless my neighbour, I put a purple spot on her back and asked him to keep an eye on her, well what did he do? He was asked to massage Amanda-Jayne when I was away and he thought he had to massage Beryl {rofwl} At least he tried! Not a lot else to report tonight as still quite tired and of course worried

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh no. I do hope Beryl improves. It has been a dreadful run of sad and stressful times - our sweet hens (and their mums) so deserve a stress-free, healthy summer. >fi<

{hug} Hugs to you Sandy.

How nice of your neighbour to massage your chook, even if it was the wrong one. Maybe it will help poor Beryl.