Sandy's Pink Ladies

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Sandy's Pink Ladies

Post by sandy »

Yep the jeyes is working a treat )t'
Well Dottie is laying in earnest, every day, Lottie dosent anymore which is odd as they are the same age.
Ronnie is laying nearly everyday she must be coming up for 6 next month as EasyG said she was 5 when I rehomed her last September, her eggs are quite small and whitish now.
Audrey panicked me , not laying and no interest in treats but then the feather explosion. Just like the bantams she is moulting but looks fully feathered. When I checked her over she went mad but then I realised and saw her new quills coming through. Preening constantly still wont eat mealworms but loves her blackberries.
Delta laid a softie this morning, had to clean up her backside as covered in yolk, this evening she and Echo had one almighty spat which Delta came of best. They were acting like they had just met! A good shout and they stopped!
Charlie just does not shut up, she has no interest in blackberries just like Gwen and Echo has no interest in mealworms >coc<
Blue is just the reincarnation of that there Beth bless her, she shoots out the door everytime I open in , she actually got on my lap herself yesterday, looked about then got off.
Rita Woo has finally gone off of broody but she was a good broody just like broodies I have had as she came out for food, water and treats on her own. Her comb and hair tufts are still not upto Woo standards yet.
Thank goodness everyone is doing well………..
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Photos first I will update news later
MaeWest and Veronica
Echo
Delta
Charlie
MaeWest,Veronica and Audrey
MaeWest,Veronica,Delta,Echo & Charlie
Miriam
Suranne,Jeniifer & Nancy
Rita
Rocky,Nancy,Miriam & Rita
Rita,Jennifer & Bjork
Ivy,Rita and Miriam
Ivy,Miriam & Nancy
MaeWest
Echo,Veronica,Delta & Charlie
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

PS on photo titled Miriam,Vorky is the brown girl in the back with black feathers, very flightly.
OMG there has been a lot of drama with the Pink Ladies, The Peds and Miss Smith yike*
To cut a long story short ..
Ivy had blood oozing out of her feet, the others were chasing her trying to get a peck. Sensible girl got up on the perch and sat on her feet. Ivy is a big girl so fun cleaning, creaming, dusting ,spraying then vaselining her feet. They are much better now but I am still slathering in vaseline every night.
Lottie seemd to have broken her toe as it was bent over, Tianna noticed this, picked up Lottie and popped her to bed as it was getting late and booked her in to vets the next day. Next day yike* she had lost the bottom part of her toe, it was nowhere to be seen but I can guess what happened to it! Chris the vet said it was a very bad case of scaly leg mite, he was really surprised with one of my hens :oops: it seems she will lose another two toes but needless to say she too is getting slatherings of vaseline every night.
Charlie not well, all day and all night, sat on my lap and dozed while I gave her behind a good massage..yippee out came slightly cracked egg with full white and yolk.
Veronica very bad didn't want to eat , even her anniversary treat(had her on year Sept 16th) hmmm give her another day then vets. Next morning I couldn't believe my eyes opening the cube. Not one bit was not covered in grey feathers, never known a hen moult that much that quickly, hence to say Ronnie has a completely bald back. When she came last year she was in the middle of a regrowth on her back so must be her annual thing.
My friend was going on holiday, she told me one of her Woos was being bullied and not coming in very early at night. She was worried as her neighbour would come and lock up the girls at dusk but if she was missing she would be locked out as they have smallholdings quite a way from each other and her neighbour is quite elderly. Bright idea I would have her for the week. We had fun catching her , I grabbed her and hurriedly shoved in the box as I was staying in the village of the weekend opening and shutting the shop , so up at 4.00am shutup at 8.00pm so Mr Ped was going to be looking after my lot. When I got her home she had a big lump on the side of her mouth. I phoned Linda to see if she had had it before but she is only on a landline and had left for her holiday. I phoned vets who wanted £250.00 to start with as it was out of hours so I booked her in for the monday while Mr Ped promised to keep a close eye on her. Bless her she had canker, it was nasty and smelly(Bob sure you had a girl with canker?) . She had an operation on the wednesday morning and came home with meza something which was great fun giving her even though her bump had gone down. She went back a week later and was put on metacam

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Sorry about the abrupt end on the last post, friend turned up havent seen in awhile.
MaeWest had to go back to the vets her lump was getting bigger and smelly she wouldnt be tempted by any food, bless she tried pecking at corn. She would pop herself on the bottom of the pole going upto the outside perches and I would pop her in the cottage, in the morning there was very little poo. At the vets he said they could do the procedure again. Her owner LInda had come back home by then and knew the situation so I was pleased not to have to make that decision we all dread, I rang her and put the vet on the phone, they both thought she was having a bad quality of life and the procedure would probably not work if it hadnt the first time. I gave MaeWest a big kiss and a hug and cried my eyes out, poor new vet was a bit distressed too. She only stayed 11 days but even if she had survived or hadnt even got sick I would have found it hard to let her go back which would have been naughty as she lived free range all day. She was named by me (Linda dosent name her girls) as nextdoor the Woo is Rita(Hayworth) my Woo was Fay Wray so it just followed.
On a happier note Mr Ped has two new girls as he said he wasnt getting enough eggs! Named by Mrs Ped, Bjork is a white leghorn and Vorky a Vorwerk, hence the 'wonderful' name! Poor Vorky gets chased about a lot especially by a very jealous Rita, yes a new younger model has caught the eye of Rocky {rofwl} Bjork is quite bold and dosent get chased as much, she was really annoying tonight knocking over the vaseline while I attented to Ivy them jumped on my shoulder like a parrot!
Not too happy with all this rain! Girls ok thank goodness

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Canker is horrible .
Unless you have lots of time the best course is PTS .
My Mrs Woo had a good life as long as it lasted but she was a mess when she died. Nothing much you can do as the vets said , if it did not work the end is just a matter of time .
Beware . I was told it is catchy and do not keep together.
Caught from wild birds ....
Some times keeping the flock locked up is safer alround.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Yes Bob canker was awlful bless dear little MaeWest. Cleaned out her bowls and raked up her living quarters and luckily no one else showing any signs. Still vaselining Lottie and Ivy's feet, looking good now so hopefully no more toes will drop off yike* Must post a pic of Ronnie she looks just like a turkey {rofwl} All girls fit and well not the mad chasers of the old days but Echo managed to chase my goddaughter around after her laces, Jessica was a bit scared , reminds me so much of my Honey who would have pecked more than laces! The newbies are doing fine, little Vorky is getting braver and started ducking and diving for treats, snuggly upto her arch rival Rita at night. Bjork is definetly part parrot, leaps on me at any given chance and sooooo noisy. Making up for Rocky's lack of crowing due to his moult.
Long may this wellness amongst the flocks continue.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hello my its been quite a time i have updated!She may have only been with us for a short time but still feeling rather sad about MaeWest {cry} keep giving that minx Rita Ped big hugs, her wig is coming on nicely now along with the floppy comb as befits a member of the Woo fraternity.
Bjork and Vorky Ped are settling in very well, Bjork is SO noisy while Vorky is standing up for herself very well. Bit of a Elsa/Beth in her I think. Ivy Ped is still having a bit of trouble with her tiny toe, a bit of gentian violet and powder is keeping it in check at the moment, too small and downward to put vaseline on.
Lottie is causing a bit of concern, every saturday morning I lift her out of her coop and she cannot walk, she lists to one side so first wek popped her in the hamster cage(not in with Bruce) {rofwl} the big spare cage i bought when she had her leg bandaged. In the evening she was walking slowly but fine, following saturday same problem? Same scenario, this saturday ditto but it took her until sunday evening to be okay . Booked her in to vets but keep cancelling as she is fine? Cant be mareks or she would be unable to walk? Wondering if she has a sprain, checked her feet througougly, luckily seemed to have rid her of her leg mites.
Charlie,Blue,Delta and Echo are laying daily, Audrey seems to be over her long moult but not laying, Ronnie has gone from looking like a turkey to having a luxurious new coat but not laying which is fine seeing she is an old girl.
Been locking up all the coops every night now which is okay as its dark am . Reason for this is Edwina and her fully frown cubs follow me about for the night time routine , Mr Ped and I hope we have our runs as secure as possible but locking the girls up just keeps my mins at rest.
Been selling eggs but recently been bartering for cucumbers,home made elderberry wine,cooking apples and beetroot chutney

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Sandy , What is the exchange rate . I get quite a few bits of veg for eggs .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Had to take Lottie to vets as problem moving kept recurring . She saw Tom who really checked her over. He was very confused reckon it must either be an inner ear problem or she has had a mini stroke. He gave her metacam to see if it would help. She now has her condition every morning and after a few hours in the cage she is okay but cannot get into bed, she sits waiting patiently on the pallet. Mr Ped is going to attempt a nice easy ladder for her to climb up as I am loathe to lower the eglu to the ground. Of course iwhen I go to work she has to spend the day in the cage. Tom said she isnt in any pain , she is eating and drinking well bless her, he also wondered if with the loss of hair her toe she may somethimes just go off balance.
Everyone else is fine, it was just like the old days in the office today when i was making up the treat container Echo was up with her head in every wrapper i was opening. The others all stood on the floor looking up expectantly. Now pre this little family nearly every girl would be up helping me which used to drive me nutty but must admit did enjoy Echo getting stuck in

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Catching up on poor Lottie's ailments. Giblet lost a toe from scaley leg some time ago, it happens so fast, those scabby strands circle round the toe & tighten into a tornequet. It doesnt affect her walking though. I hope its not mareks but dont rule it out, when my little Nettle was having problems walking the vet noticed that her feet werent instinctively gripping (check with your finger), also her abdomen was very firm instead of soft like the others - this was a tumour caused by mareks. She'd been limping for a while but was still active & eating.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh dear sorry to hear about Lottie, bless her. Surely if she'd had a mini stroke the problem wouldn't keep reoccuring every morning? Unless it is something to do with her inner ear. Perhaps she's developed vertigo. I hope she's okay
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh poor Lottie. Any improvement?

I would love to come to one of the Henpals get-togethers again, but I am currently under house-arrest for the foreseeable future. My poor old dog has reached the grand old age of nearly 16, and has had a few fits. The vet thinks she has got a brain tumour but she wouldn't survive the tests to find out, let alone any operation. She is fair rattling with dr-ugs, and is a bit wobbly on her pins. In herself, she is happy and still eating well and enjoying life, but the one thing she really can't cope with is me leaving the house. In fact, she is quite upset if I am not in the kitchen at all times...
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Well Kitty not happy with Lottie so up vets again tomorrow morning..been in the cage 2 days on the trot, slow but ok today >coc<
Rather ashamed at the state of the cube so had to empty it , clean and put in new sheets. Not used to 6 hens pooing in one coop of course after years of sleeping on high perches, safer for them i know....but.....
Realised i had no cleaner so rushed up PAH and got the best i could, popped on £ste... and got some cheap dishclothes and set to work. Mr Ped had got me a 20g bag of pellets so had fun moving them into their containers. The girls stood outside the office expectantly for the 2 hours it took me, had to put the lights on so dark today! Echo is the only true Pink Lady as she insisted on helping me every step of the way, annoying but lovable of her.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

>fi< to Lottie this morning
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Well the good wishes worked Kitty )t' Lottie saw Chris today, another throughour examination and bless her as always stood as good as gold. He says its her nervous system, she could have an abcess or tumour but it would have grown by now and he would have felt it. He said if she gets to where she cannot get up at all it wouldnt be fair on her but at present she is in good health, just have to treat her as a special needs girl were his words, hmmm been there and done that so much better news than i thought. I asked for some tylan too which always has to be ordered as not kept in, said it was for Ronnie +pinn+ need it for Bjork and Vorky who are sneezy and coughy with no other symptoms thank goodness.