Sandy's Pink Ladies

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Sandy's Pink Ladies

Post by KarenE »

Sandy, I'm so sorry to hear about Honeybun, what a sad shock. I suppose it was the lingering respiratory problem? I can imagine how you're feeling. Hope you're okay {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How are you doing Sandy?
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Karen just posted about rehoming. bittersweet day last sunday, best medicine in the world losing Honey then rehoming all day..will update about her later, still missing her like crazy
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Right lets get this over with.
Honey no wanting anything to eat saturday, decided to take her to vets as hen vet on over weekend. Andrea found a large ulcer in her top beak in her mouth, it looked nasty. Only meds appropiate was for humans to stop mouth fungal infections so Andrea wrote out a prescription which I took to boots on my way home. Had to wait 10 minutes so went and sat in car with Honey. The gentleman in boots said it was the first time he had ever made up a prescription for a hen and hoped she would be okay. He gave me lots of syringes but had to charge me as although I no longer pay for meds Honey wasn't yet a pension age!
Got her home , got the meds on her ulcer and down her throat easily, then she tucked into egg yolk.
In the morning up early ready to get to a rehoming, Honey stood still, did the breakfast and poo pick, Honey not eating, went to pick her up a foul liquid gushed out of her. No way was I going to tip her remembering Doris who just choked to death,I gently got her in the cat basket and rushed up vets, said I would have to wait 30 minutes so I got Honey out and she said perfectly still on a chair. Andrea said the fungal infection had got into her body, what a shame the ulcer had not been noticed before! I said my usual, she is your hen Andrea how would you treat her but I knew the answer of course. So I lost one of my bestest friends at 10.00 am, got home, packed for the days needs , got my friend and we were off to Wrington. I was with of course people who absolutely understand the loss of a hen so no tears(yet) still quite numb. Rehoming girls like Honey was excellent therapy.
It is so odd no one to follow me constantly, Audders does but not pushy like Honey, no one to jump on the bench and shove their head in the treat bowl when I am trying to dish them out.
I am wondering if 2 years, 2 months and 6 days of eating my hair caused an infection? Got the date wrong on the log, had Honey June 14th 2015 not the 15th.
Move all the stones from where the rats were getting in and left it exposed put the stones around the back and had to block off area to Audders and Fay as stylofoam and wire wool exposed, no rats for nearly a week so covered wool and foam with paving stones and lt the, back in the area this morning. Audders is now back outside aleepin with Fay all the time, no one in the cottage now.
Then Lottie standing about on thursday, limping! checked her feetsseemed ok as they can be, to be sure booked her in saturday with what I supposed was a hen vet, no he wasnt , he strecthed her legs, didn't look underneath siad she was an exotic looked up in a book , weighed her and gave me metacam????dose .5 mls, what my big girls have only ever had .3 mls?????I took Dottie up with her but he told me to put her back in the box. I asked if he would cut Lottie's claws, which he did and then out to reception.
There is only one receptionist I am not keen on and I got her, Tink she said, no Lottie, oh yeah, the phone rang and she picked it up turned to the side while I was left standing waiting! I wanted to spend as little time there as possible seeing as I had been there the week before with Honey! Another receptionist finished so I said rather loudly I was being served and then I wasn't so can you help me. She gave me the meds, said the bill was £67.12 oh no it isnt she checked , the vet had charged me for clipping a dogs claws, bearing in mind when I see a nurse to have Lotties claws clipped they charge me nothing! he had also charged too much for the meds! Not a happy time at all.
Have not given any meds to Lottie, have washed her feet, purpled them and vaselined them and she is limping less pronounced this morning. Will see how she goes, of gets worse will book a proper hen vet this time.
Off to see my aunties new rescue cat now….
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

What a sad time for you Sandy and awful treatment at the vets. I admire your restraint, I would have lost it then regretted it later. Hope things settle down and you can enjoy the girls.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I don't think I would be very happy with the treatment at the vets. Sad time for you indeed losing Honey and also a busy time with the re-homing. That was a lovely thing to do knowing that you have helped find other girls their forever homes.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Well Lottie is fine, I am saving my complaint until the next time I go up(you just know there will be a next time) so I can bargain with them!
Must do some sort of research on my calendar to see just how long Suranne Ped has been broody. Rats back ? could be mouse they are coming up behind the cube, no poo anywhere and purposedly left out a corn cob which wasnt touched. Fill up the small hole every morning and let Audders and Fay in there then lock it up at night. All well, Fay has started laying in the coop , copying Audders thank goodness no more cracked eggs )t' Audders has started permantely sleeping with fay on the perch.
I love my four girls, I realy do but it is such a different atmosphere from having batties! Audders greets me then thats it, no chattering , lap sitting, following me everywhere, no one to trip me over or leap on the bench and stick their head in the vaseline!
Its really like losing a good friend {cry}

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I know what you mean about batties - at the next rescue you can squirrel a few away Sandy
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I have such a varied flock , They seem to learn of each other . hybrid after such a nightmare life pre rescue , appreciate freedom and care more .
Bob .
I still miss my Cuddles ,as for Penelope she is a super star .
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So what did Mr Ped give the girls today? Pellets? NO sunflower seeds, he must have gone down in the dark! Hence some weird and wonderful poo that looked like dried peas, plus either Fay or Audrey has WORMS found one in their poo yike* flub ordered

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I bet the girls love it when Mr Ped is babysitting :-D

Are you doing flub powder or the pellets? I am about due another treatment although there's no signs of worms (touch wood)
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

It will have to be flub pellets with 9 girls nextdoor, can you imagine the grape/blackberry method with them all clambering for them {rofwl} Not seen a worm since but pellets coming tomorrow will start them saturday so new girl can join in at the same time.
Will )piicy( of either Lottie or Dotties egg as soon as i can, it is smaller than a cads mini eggs. All girls fine, and yes Karen you are right have noticed Audrey is slightly above Fay in the top hen stakes.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

must update more regularly {warn} to me!
Lottie or Dottie laid this weeny egg a few days ago, will be interested to see if it contains white and yolk, Audders egg is quite crinkly, she laid a soft shelled egg today(probably stress)
Fay is ultra skittish and runs like an olympian after having a tuft of her wig pulled out!
And this is the reason for Audder's stress and Fay's hair loss
This is Veronica -Belle, I hope she dosent get confused as her name is actually Belle but as you know have had a Belle and Bella Ped(Mrs Ped is still calling their bluebelle Belle when she is actually Ivy! Lost my uncle Ronnie last sunday so seemed very appropiate to call her Veronica
Audders and Veronica being rather tentative, spent three hours in with them yesterday afternoon
At dusk Veronica got up on the seat
I took her to sit by Audders and Fay on the outside perch then checked when really dark they were all sat quietly. This morning they spent breakfast time skirting one another, breakfast was flub pellets as found a LOT of worms in the Ped girl's poo yike*
I have space out the food bowls so everyone will get their food, Lottie and Dottie very vocal, they know there is a new Pink Lady in town!
Off to check them all now…some Ped piccies

Oh and Suranne Ped has finally finished her marathon broodiness

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Sandy , Poor girl is molting , I mean she is right to have the ump.
They will settle soon enough.
Love the pictures.
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Really enjoyed your Photo's Sandy - everyone looks great. )like(