Re: Sandy's Pink Ladies

Post by amber66 »

{hug}
Amber

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Well LOttie is booked into the vets on tuesday, the earliest I can get her in with a hen vet. She is limping very badly, she tucks her leg up when she is standing still but is okay for eating, drinking and preening.
Had to give Thelma another cut thursday afternoon, I sat on the chair in the Ped run with her on my lap and then Jennifer decided to sit on my head!She actually sat down wobbling away using her claws to grip into my hair.
The three biggies are getting on fine, Audders and Veronica have started pecking my new clogs. I took Fay by surprise today and grabbed her in my arms, bless she went all stiff with that wild look on her face.
The girls have had a different type of layers pellets that are quite tiny so while Mr Ped is away this weekend I have taken a big junk of his bigger pellets and mixed them with mine +f+
The Peds have a lot of cute big circled eared mice running around, I watched where they went, they are so tiny they are getting in through the wire.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Well the appointment booked for Lottie may change to Fay. Lottie's foot still isnt right but poor old Fay is very liquidy down below and was standing about puffed up this morning. Of course it was dark tonight, as she and the others always sit puffed up on the perch at bedtime so not sure if she is any better. She hasn't laid for ages but hen neither has Audders, fingers crossed she is better tomorrow.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hope she is better today. These girls certainly know how to worry us, don't they? Hope your two improve - good luck at the vets.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

How did you get on at the vets Sandy I hope your girls are OK {hug} {hug}
Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Sandy , Hope all is well , not caught up as just got a chance to write ,Bob
Anyone else I will catch up soon I hope .
Bob
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

How are Lottie and Fay, Sandy?
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Linda, Amber,CC & Bob good news :-D
Took Dottie up with Lottie as Lottie is so tiny and nervous I wanted her to have her Dottiwe with her. Andrea found a small little cut on the bottom of Lottie's foot and a ball of pus yike* Lottie was taken off for treatment while Dottie screeched for the fifteen minutes Lottie was gone much to the amusement of the people waiting in the reception area! Lottie came back with her food heavily bandaged, bless she has to keep her dressing clean so had to keep her in the fairly large cat basket in the run with Dottie today, it just about fits in two small bowls of food and water. I phoned Mr Ped to check she was okay as I was working 8 to 6 today, he gave me a heart attack texting back their was no hen in the carrier! The worked out he was looking in the small carrier I had put on the bench! She was fine tonight, popped her back in her bedroom but she will have to go back in the cat basket until 3.30 tomorrow when I take her up to have her dressing changed. At east being in there she has no room to run around.
Fay was then prodded and poked and had her chest listened to, after which she did a big shkae and the feathers flew, thank heavens the only thing wrong with her is moulting confirmed Andrea.

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

That's great news Sandy {hug} from how you speak of your'e vet Andrea she sounds very competent and compassionate a vet worth her salt :-D
I would have loved to be in the waiting room when Dottiie was shouting for Lottie I bet the waiting folks faces were a picture {rofwl}
And what can be said about Mr Ped he doesn't seem to be the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to chicken affairs does he
Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I think that's a very polite way of putting it Linda!

Excellent news about the Fay, how many times have we whipped moulders up to the vets, or stuck them on antibiotics? I wish they would tell us they are moulting! Dory's moult continues, I'm sure she was quicker last year. Hope Fay is done quickly.

Sounds like Lottie might have had a bit of bumblefoot forming! Good job you caught it quick, it can be a beggar to treat as you know - of course it might have been a normal infection and not the staph one, but it's hopefully sorted now. Poor sparkly.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

That's great news Sandy. I am sure with all your care and attention her foot will be better soon and yes I agree, you do have a superb Chicken Vet. Mr Ped is lucky to have you taking care of his chooks. More to the point, his chooks are lucky to have you - whatever would they do without you. Sending healing vibes.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

oh dear, now I'll have to get Nettle indoors & give her foot a close inspection, I'd thought it was her leg that was making her limp so I havent dwelt much on her very feathery foot, but you've made me feel neglectful! :oops: Nettle does look rather like Lottie, perhaps they're having a parallel life moment.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Kitty Andrea(it is actually pronounced Ann dray uh, shes Spanish ) was worried it was bumblefoot at first but luckily it was an infected cut, I really should have got her up vets sooner but like you I thought just a limp, how many girls have we had with limps that get better?
She has to have her bandage changed every 48 hours, initial fee £64 bandage changing £22 yike* She has had a blue bandage but yesterday got a red one
As she has to keep the bandage clean had to rush out and buy a large hamster cage, that came with a wheel and a mammoth drinking tune thingy to construct, have of course left it bare, with newspaper for the lining, her water and food bowl fits nicely in the corner. Going to have to collect all the decking squares and line them up over the soil and woodchips before I can let her out. She is as good as gold in there, she can see Dottie and when I pull up the top for her to go to bed she leaps from the cage to the eglu! She is very chirpy, moving around dosent seem to bother her bless her.
Took a few of the Peds as my girls are now actually running away from me!
Miriam, hmmm its just a bag of pellets!
Broody Rita, and Lavendar Lil trying to lay

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Oh bless her with her red bandage on. She's certainly getting the very best care. Fingers crossed for her for a speedy recovery.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Hi Sandy,

Oh dear, poor bandaged girl!

Blimey, £22 a bandage change!

I did have quite a few runs of bandaging with Wiggy, and did get quite a routine going in the end (although it put paid to whatever minimal snuggling I had with her up to that point!). The vet never suggested me coming back to have it done, and so the first time, he gave me some bandage etc. but when I treated her last episode myself I did get a roll from our local suppliers of livestock stuff. It was pretty cheap and lasted well, because you cut an inch wide strip to use. I also needed microporous tape, steropad wound dressing with the perforated film surface and some cotton wool roll for padding, which, again, you cut into about 1" wide strips.

You cut the steropad so you have a square which amply covers the pad of the foot, that goes on first, then wind round the cotton wool, making sure it provides good coverage on the base before taking it a little way up the leg. Finally, the bandage goes over it all, and a bit of microporous tape to make sure it doesn't unwind or get pecked off.

By the way, I am a bit surprised they want it changed every 48 hours. Wiggy's wasn't to be touched for a while until the healing had really got underway. I wish I could remember how long, but I feel fairly sure it was the whole of the first week.

They all do things differently don't they? I really noticed this when Karen and I were having to deal with bumblefoot at the same time - although in the end, having caught a bumble really early, I bypassed the vet and went with the DTL patented hibiscrub bathing and sudocrem combo.

If you decide to tackle the bandaging yourself and haven't got anyone to help, wrap her in a tea towel, and it may also help to keep her quiet if you cover her head.

Having kept her in for about a week, or it might have been two, once the foot had healed enough for her to go outside (but still bandaged) the vet said it was imperative it was kept dry, so I resorted to covering the bottom of the bandage only with a bit of packing tape, then holding that on with lots of microporous tape. It's a faff, but it worked well. I changed it twice a week once it got to that point.