Sandy's Pink Ladies

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Sandy's Pink Ladies

Post by sandy »

last weekend mixed Dottie with the others, they wee all spaced out after stuffing and the sun was out. She managed to get away with sitting near them for quite awhile. Couple of hours later when they were milling about Dots encountered Ronnie who sat on her gave her a peck and walked off, Charlie had a bit of a spat , then Blue had a real fight with her which i broke up. Everytime i get home i open Dots door and she goes to come out the retreats so did a mix today with all doors and hatches open so anyone could run away, even opened the building site where the cottage is . Got Audrey out, still broody, Ronnie had a go at her and them the pair of them dustbathed together as always. Dots had 3 gnger ninjas after her at once and ran fr away, they didnt give chase but she kept herself to herself, after 4 hours i had a numb bum , the Peds were free ranging until i opened the mealworms, they all got back in their run and waited for me to arrive so Mr Ped had no trouble getting them in. Mr Ped was shown the incased mud on Rocky's foot so took him off to the workshed >coc< Dots went to eat the mealworms with the others but thought better of it so hens teeth looks like i may have to get her company! I had put 6 little cucumbers in their run whch they ignored so thought i would brake them up later, when i was leaving the run noticed they had gone, the cheeky rats, one is bigger than Dottie yike* mustve pinched them!
Echo and Blue have become Beth and Elsa, one night at dusk everyone was in bed except them and i let them have a bit of corned beef i had for Edwina, they went crazy and now every night they are up waiting for me!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

The seperation of Dottie from the others was finally decided yesterday , locking up time thursday( thursday became a very poignant day)and a rat twice the size of Dottie was running about yike* Saturday i opened all the hatches again so Dottie could run well away and as i was in the garden i would hear anyone in trouble. All was quiet and by 5.00 i was hot and tired and very emotional so i popped in the house for a drink and sit down, well the sit down turned into a doze and then it was 7.15! i rushed down to the run and there were the ninjas pottering about in various places and there was Dottie sat close to Ronnie dozing. I shut up the cottage section as that is where i am constantly cementing up holes so now there would be no escape from the garden. I walked down the outside of the garden knowing the girls would follow and they all did Lottie and all. When Lottie was at the end and seeing everyone else apart from the still broody Audrey were following her she just brushed past them . It seems the ninjas are a bit wary of her. Brilliant now i can relax a bit knowing Dottie isnt trapped on her own . When i went to lock up tonight Dottie was squawking loudly, Ronnie had taken the buddy thing a bit far and was sat in the eglu! There is room for Dottie, just, so i popped her in , did usual chores and went back to see she had settled on her wooden perch while Ronnie just swamped it. If Ronnie is going to go there every night even safer for Dottie if not a little cramped.
Echo and Blue are continuing to stay up late expecting treats so have knocked that on the head much to their disappointment. Audrey so broody bless her, when she does come out for food she runs about like a maniac making silly noises.
When i put the Peds to bed every night Rita sits on the chair and i would give her a stroke and a kiss as i passed her putting the food away, emptying the waters and shuffling the stragglers to bed then finally picking her up for a lovely cuddle and then pop her on the perch. Thursday night Nancy was on the chair too as she is sometimes and Jen wondering about. I popped Nancy to bed, rounded up and cuddled Jen then got Rita who got a big hug and for some reason i said to her cant ever lose you Rita you are my fav girl, and she was even out of my girls. Friday morning i noticed she had a terribly dirty bum like diarhea so before work got some tissues and water to clean her up but horrors she had had a prolapse. I decided ok to leave her as her feathers were covering the protusion but worried all day anyway. Evening tried to clean her as wet and smelly and attempted to push back into vent but wouldnt go. Mr Ped on hols so told him i would be taking her to the vets saturday morning. The vet got another vet to put the prolapse back in said she would get a nurse to clean her up but they were concerned how light she was, i hasnt noticed as she was always light. So relieved but as we were talk.

ing the prolapse came out again a little further this time. I asked if there was an op she could have but no if she laid the op would be no good and she was a good layer, she had actually laid prolapse and all on the friday. Said she could only iive on her own but eventually she would be pecking at the prolpase herself so for her sake best to let her go {cry} i felt awlful as she was so perky but i had to take photos of her prolapse to show the Peds.
How things change so so quickly, i cannot believe she is gone, heartbreaking locking up the Peds. I had a text from him tonight when he got home asking were she was so went around with phone to show him the photos, good job i had them as mrs ped said but she was heathy and laid lovely blue eggs everyday why was she pts! }hairout{ hated taking photos but glad i did. Such a sad end to the week
so a very sad end to the week
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Very sad for you:(
I'm glad Dotty has found a friend though
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Sorry Sandy , Chickens break our hearts .
At least she had some good times.
Bob
Going to Wales hopefully next Sunday am racing , if I get a chance I will pay a visit.
XX
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Good to hear Dotty is holding her own especially against the Jurassics. So sorryt o hear about Rita though, that must have been a right shock. Prolapses are awful, so sorry that nothing could be done for her {hug}

You have the patience of a saint with that woman, I'm not sure I could bring myself to be so civil
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

More sadness, was worried about little Rocky from the monday (11th) he wasnt himself and was filthy again, mental note to clean him up but much to my shame i didnt make time, my feeble excuse e veryone seems to be on hols and i am covering working later and taking 30 minutes extra as out major road is closed for a month. On the wednesday evening i went down to give them their treats and couldnt find him, i texted Mr Ped to see if he was out studding then i noticed the dear little boy as stiff as a board curled up under the food shelf. Rocky was a funny little thing who caused a bit of trouble weekends as when i let the girls out i had to make them up a nest box and put food and water inside the coop as Rocky wasnt allowed out until after 8 but my goodness i bawled my eyes out, especially this saturday i felt rather ashamed i used to moan about the inconvenience. Poor little Vorky was calling for days after, Rocky bless him would stand guard over some food for her, she must be so lost without her only real buddy.
Well my girls are keeping me on my toes, everyday there is a broken weak shelled egg in the cube and the eglu! Ronnie and Audrey are laying intermittently while I am getting one good egg from one of the raptors and one from Dottie every other day.
Dottie has been acting broody, sitting in the eglu since yesterday much to Charlie's annoyance as she goes straight on their after breakfast instead of the cube to make a mess, rarely lays in there. Today i got her out for treats, Echo and Blue, the late stopper uppers are quite nasty to her while Delta and Charlie are scared of her. Really glad have mixed her as with this torrential rain t is like a mud bath in a lot of places, have closed their garden up as it resembles a canal in Venice and dispersed a lot of stalosfan in the mud.
Delta has been a little quiet but feels okay underneath, same as Echo, those two have slight problems with eggs probably their broken eggs. Had to purple Delta's chest as feather pulled out by someone! More tylan in water as you can see Delta breathing through her nostrils and Ronnie a bit wheezy..Bob dont think i paid you for that yike*
A few days ago checked Dottie over as she had a bit of muck on her backside and horrified to fnd huge hard clump of poo right upto her vent, well hidden under her feathers so cut it all off, so many feathers it dosent notice where i cut.
Peds not too bad, Suranne a bit slow but still ruling the roost especially at night, poor Vorky and Bjork.
Hoping everything will settle down for awhile

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Sandy , Do not worry about money . You must have paid for it , many times over.
Do you need any morer as did not leave any last time we met up.
sad times which we seemed to have in common .
my garden has dried out ready for the next down poor this week.
Keep well and see you soon .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Sandy, so sorry to hear about Roicky, bless him {hug}

I hope the Jurassics are okay - Will was breathing very heavily last weekend I noticed as she was dustbathing, and I meant to tylan the water but never got round to it. I think they were all suffering from the rain. Fingers crossed they all seem fine and hope yours are too
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

i think Blue has done an update on here? Well have had Delta diagnosed with sinus problems, no med, Echo had a virus been on meds and okay but two weeks later a bit slower again, she is usually a right madam, so put her on the meds again which i got for Charlie who was fine when returning from vets so never gave them to her. Charlie's problem was she at last has her feathers growing, she has been like a fuzzy bear for over a year so hoping this long awaited growth wont damage her health as it did with the longtime sporadically feathered Martha-Joans yike*
Everyone has been playing musical beds, sometimes Dottie gets her eglu to herself, sometimes Ronnie joins her, sometimes Delta but tonight is a first both Ronnie and Delta are in with her so up super early in the morning to open them up. Audrey has started roosting on the bench, bless she tucks herself up behind the glove box, Audrey you are a buff and you are not hiding! i have to pop her back in the cube as rats still about, although a lot of dead ones as Mr Ped has laid poison in his run and they seems to be coming to mine and dying!
Girls are enjoying the abundance of wild strawberries and the blackberries are all there on the bushes , of course still green.
Must not be so tardy in doing diary {warn} but have been involved in hen rescues and hen admin with the others so still being henny!

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Sandy, hope you're okay. Sad news to read about Echo and Dottie and I know it's easy to say but you mustn't blame yourself for Dottie's death. If she had a respiratory issue it must have been pretty advanced and there may well have been nothing you could have done. The mites wouldn't have caused that and it seems unlikely they could have weakened her to that extent so quickly.

Easily said I know, and we have all been there, wondering what if and blaming ourselves.

Take care, and enjoy your other girls {hug}
Karen
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh Sandy. I was just reading your sad post and clicked on here to say, well, exactly what Karen has said above. I realise you will be feeling absolutely knocked sideways by that, but really please, please don't think it was your fault. You are such a super hen-mum.
Sending you a big hug {hug}
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

{hug} {hug}
Amber.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Sandy, just catching up with Forum. SO sorry to hear your sad news. It's awful when we lose our girls. You're a brilliant mother hen and look after the girls so very well - unfortunately these things happen and whatever we do or don't do doesn't change things. Hope you're OK.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , Sandy , what are you doing on Sunday 8.09.2019 .
Have a free day as SHMBO is of to Gurnsey with sisters , Thought I might deliver some corn and bits .
Let me know . Timing probably around midday onwards .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Apologies for not replying to you lovely laners this will be a short post as on phone pc still playing up will update very soon just a quick note to say ok Bob see you Sunday and anyone else who would like to come , have 5 new girls , hopefully update by end of week