The residents of Featherend Cottage

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
aceface
Legendary Laner

Re: The residents of Featherend Cottage

Post by aceface »

minnie ha ha and siouxsie are beauties Annie and as for the silkies {hug} all pretty ladies xx
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

8th April

Thats my flub pellets ordered for delivery Friday, worming next week there will be a few )gr: faces when no treats are forthcoming .
Piccolo is such a determined bundle of feathers . Last night when I put them all back in their runs, she ran bac k out of the silkie run and stood outside the big girls run, she doesn't deem that the silkie house is suitable for rearing babies, it must be the big house for her. How do I tell her no babies this year without breaking her little heart {cry} ?

Have I said recently just how much I love my silkies {hug&kiss}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Oh Annie i would'nt say its very obvious at all {rofwl} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I start worming next week too :-D I am amazed to hear your comment about the feather footed cotton wool balls {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

[quote="Annie"]8th April

. How do I tell her no babies this year without breaking her little heart {cry} ?

i dont think you can Annie ,and as you said "you do love those silkies " +f+

and after all lots of us at the moment have babies on the agenda
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

13th April

Started the girls on the flub pellets today, always find it easier to start them at the weekend then I remember when the 7 days are up . Glad its a sunny day as they are busy scratching about and not looking at me through the gates with the ' its a horrible day can we have some treats please?' look.
Opened a new bag of shavings today and they were huge - never seen much difference in the texture before, still they are doing the job ok judging by the happy faces in the nest boxes.
Piccolo's pal has decided to join her so now Jasmine and Piccolo are both broody, they were like this last year , always broody at the same time, which is why I let them hatch the eggs together , they seem very close.
When I went to check for eggs this morning, there were 5 hens in 3 nest boxes as poor Violet and Fiddler each had a broody silkie in beside them as soon as the big birds lay the silkies nab the eggs and roll them underneath their feathers. Big Gloria was quite put out at having to share, when her turn to lay came so I lifted the 2 silkies and put them back in their own run where they can't cause any more complaints. Little Pinky decided she wanted to join them so whats the betting I will have 3 broodies tomorrow {rofwl} .
I feel a bit guilty now, I have been singing the praises of silkies and I know one or two laners have taken the plunge and got a couple , I think I forgot to saying they are naughty little misses as well as being adorable ......oops
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Annie great minds think alike, I started today as I realised if I did I would know when 7 days were up! Annie if Silkiebabe Ped is anything to go by they have nice long lives and who can resist them, Ace's Delphine is to die for
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

Annie i think i have just had my first taste of silkie madam tantrums she has slept now in 3 places im hoping she has chosen the right place now im running out of coops ,the only bed she hasnt tried is mine yike* shes a very aloof little bird but she is just wondeful im so glad big al twisted my arm right up my back and forced her on me )w(

i think silkieitis is spreading you have something to answer for Annie , >stir<

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

16th April

Normally we get around 10 -11 eggs each day from the dear girls, on Sunday we collected 5 - do you think this is a protest as they are on a strict layer pellets with flub diet {rofwl}
Piccolo off broody , that was short lived )c( looks like Jasmine may be taking her place though. Jassy is very easy to pick up and cuddle {hug} .
Too windy woo to let the silkies out today, think it would blow there feathered bahookies inside out.
Glad I am back to work so I can start selling the eggs again, don't mind giving a few away to the neighbours but the stingy b's never tap the door and ask to buy any {warn}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I have just conjured up a mental picture of silkies flying high in the wind! It is funny cuase when I did a quick mix the ex batties went for the big girls flub pellets as if I had starved them all day!

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

27th April

Life at Featherend Cottage goes on pretty much the same each day. The girls have had to put up with a right mix of weather this week but have come through it all ok and today it was sunshine all the way , though not overly hot so its been just right for them.
They are an amicable bunch , very little squabbling goes on , in fact everyone of them were stretching out in the sun under the Buddleia today, some snoozing and others have a bit of a dust bathing session, lovely to see.
The only fly in the ointment is Gloria the BIG baby sussex from last years hatching. She is one who wants the house to herself when laying, she absolutely screeches the place down when anyone comes near, does the whole aggresive fluffing up stance, she looks pretty impressive. Funnily she doesn't seem to mind me being there, I calmed her down today by stroking her and having a little chat {hug} .
I was giving the run a good rake and freshen up and was trying to delay going into the hen house to freshen that up too as Gloria was in residence but time demanded I got on with the job. When I opened the shed door, Gloria was in the right side nest box and on the floor, waiting patiently ,were 4 more hens. Two were silkies so I picked them up and put them back in their own run for the time being but when I went back to the big girls, 2 more had taken their place. It was a very noisy morning I can tell you.
When she is out in the garden she is a placid thing, funny aren't they ?
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

{rofwl} mine are the same and I only have 4. Can't imagine what the noise would be like rounds yours! When I see mine waiting to get in the nest box I always think of them as a queue of wifeys queuing for the loo and having a wee blether while they're waiting!
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

Annie wrote:27th April

The only fly in the ointment is Gloria the BIG baby sussex from last years hatching. She is one who wants the house to herself when laying, she absolutely screeches the place down when anyone comes near, does the whole aggresive fluffing up stance, she looks pretty impressive. Funnily she doesn't seem to mind me being there, I calmed her down today by stroking her and having a little chat {hug} .
When she is out in the garden she is a placid thing, funny aren't they ?

i wonder if it is a sussex trait aniie ,marilyn does the same the noise is like a dinosaur high pitched warning scream ,and she insist the bottom nestbox is hers ,the growl is also very low and throaty that she does when laying other than that i dont hear a peep from her ,unless frankii is on the prowl yike*

and the silkie "meep meep " is hilarious do they have a cluck or an egg song ?

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Yes Ace the silkies have a very distinct voice , more high pitched than the big girls but they certainly let you know a perfect egg has arrived.
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

{rofwl} i have yet to hear her egg song buut bg al gave me a silkie egg which i ate and it was lovely a different taste slightly sweeter we thought i had to share it with mum though ,the egg was quite a bit bigger than i expected too, delphine is making little beds when she goes in the coop she is pulling bits of straw around her and she is so sweet to watch ,she is a delightful little bird and i think mum is letting her be joint fave with isabella {hug}