The residents of Featherend Cottage

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: The resident' s of Featherend Cottage

Post by Annie »

10th January
The pellets are lasting better than I expected , think now it may end up a 6 day course and not 7 but better than not at all. The silkies aren't eating their usual amount - bad babies.
Of our 16 hens, 5 are too young yet to lay, Bathsheba is too old and Melody is too posh to push - she has given us 2 or 3 eggs in the last month but being a posh girl ,obviously would prefer for the Spring to come before laying in earnest. That leaves 9 able to lay at the moment and most days I get 6 assorted eggs so don't think the girls are doing too bad for me.
One of the young legbars has started flying down the garden and getting to quite a height but shrieking at the top of her voice as she does so - not sure if its helppppppppppppppp or yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !
Had to top the nest boxes and floor up today dont know if flub pellets make them poop more but the floor in particular was too grubby to ignore until the weekend.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful

Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: The residents of Featherend Cottage

Post by Annie »

January 10th
Well I could hardly believe it, after collecting all the eggs today,each one of my laying ladies have given me a gift - wow 9 eggs - well done in the winter girls xx
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

To continue my chicken keeping saga.
Can can coucou maran went broody last summer, the 1st broody I have had. I took advice from the forum but after 4 weeks thought it had gone on too long so in Can can came for a cool wash down (she needed it as she was covered in the other girls poop) and a chill out in the kitchen. Luckily it worked as when I put her out wth the rest of the flock in the evening , she straight away began scratching and pecking about with the others and never looked back.
It was a sad summer as I lost my mum in June and with arrangements to be made and one thing and another , Eck and I decided to cancel the holiday we had planned. I knew I needed a summer project though and my wee silkie babies provided me with the answer. Typical silkies, love being broody, usually at the same time, so funny to see the 3 of them head to tail squashed in the dog bed ,which is their preferred place to lay the eggs. Chrystal my original silkie was being a bit mean to Piccolo the weeny one so I decided not to use Chrystal for my project but just Piccolo and Jasmine. I was going to hatch some fertile eggs under them when next they went broody , of course I didn't have to wait long.
We had an old hen house which we put in 'our ' bit of the garden and created a run , complete with a washing up bowl dust bath. When Jassy and Piccy went broody we popped them into their maternity unit and tucked some dummy eggs under them. After a few days it was plain to see they were both hapy and content and so we went up to see Jane our poultry lady.
'Just half a dozen' I said to Eck but he saw through me -' why are you taking 2 egg boxes to the poultry supplier then' he asked. I came home with 5 cream leg bar eggs (I wanted some different coloured brown hens as apart from the ex batts mine are all grey/black/white)3 maran,3 silkie and 1 sussex.
Late in the evening we replaced the dummy eggs with the fertile ones and anxiously waited for nature to take its course.
More later
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

its purgatory having to wait for the next chapter i love haring about the babies and the chicks }hairout{ im usually a very patient little ace but this diary thread is driving me nuts i cant keep awy im so eager to know what everybodies stories are :-D
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

12th Jan
Here we go , big clean out day - well in the big hen house, the silkies are clean little things and only do tiny poops so there little coop keeps pretty clean, just top up a bit more with bedding.
Popped into the horsey place yesterday and very pleased that they are stocking Farmgate (used to be spillers and I think that had yolk enhancer) got a bag of dust extacted shavings too. I was really surprised when putting in the new shavings, just how far they went, the bag seemed quite a bit smaller than my usual shavings bag but I still have well over 1/2 bag left for next week. Normally get a grain merchant to deliver the supplies to the house but had missed the delivery day so thats why I went elsewhere but I still like to use the service because the grain merchants are only Scottish stockist of flub pellets.
After the chores were done, I was having a cuppa and watching te chicken antics and I noticed thatone of the young cream leg bars has really red comb and wattles, she is only 21 weeks of age so seems to be maturing quite quickly , maybe green eggs sooner than I thought >fi<
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Cant wait to see piccies of green eggs )t' Love reading about your girlies and you are quite right about the silkies. How can girls with so many fluffly feathers keep themselves so clean
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

By the way silkies are incredibly intelligent as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This morning we have a dusting of snow, just about enough to make the garden white . I went up to do the cleaning chores and went to the silkie run - I always have to let them out first or else the hooligans pile into the silkie run and act like vandals. Four little white faces peeped round the enclosure door took one look at the snow, looked to Chrystal for guidance and then turned on their diddy little legs and headed back to their home comforts . Clever girls )app(
I took a few pics must try to post them .
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Ok some pictures - these have been on the forum on various threads but thought I would collate them here.
Broody silkies before the BIG decision was made
Maternity unit
fertile eggs as brought home
Typically Piccolo sat on the eggs
While Jasmine dust bathed. When the chicks hatched Jassy was a very good mum
1st born - a cream leg bar, sadly a boy but he is in a good home on the Borders now
The rest of the gang at a couple of weeks of age
Out of the maternity unit and into the proper run
Just prior to mixing with big girls 12 weeks or so
Now out and about fully integrated with main flock/silkie flock
Gloria
Violet
Pinky with Melody araucana
The leg bars
although the other hens aren't in the pics they are all out together f.r.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Excuse me whats this all about ?
Mothers meeting ?
Strike action?
Oliver Twist impersonation - please can we have some more ?
You come into our house now can we come into yours ?
cheeky monkeys

and the one who lead them out of course is Fiddler

I will be having a word with Maisie - she is top hen but doesn't seem to be keeping the mob under control !
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Fantastic pics :-D
LYN
s33xpt
Lively Laner

Post by s33xpt »

Annie, you've got me going broody now with those pics, absolutely brilliant )t'
sharing my home with Kasa the Kelpie Dog, Trouble & Chaos the cats, 8 ex batts and an ever suffering animal suffocated OH
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Ooooorrrrrrr lovely pics {hug}
[center][/center]Davina
julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

It must be great seeing them grow from birth, great pics Annie. I love your white silkies envy}}
Julie x
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

14th Jan
only thing to report today is Chrystals dilemma.
I had gone up to let the silkies out, they go out 1st and the gate gets shut behind them, to keep the run tidy. She wanted out with the others but ooooooooh its eggy eggy time and she was running up and down the ramp to the hen house , undecided what to do. I shut the gate and let the big ones out of their run and poop picked in the big house. Still she was running in and out ,getting a bit stressed by now so I popped her into the big house into a nice clean nest box and there she stayed until egg duties were done , phew what a relief +f+
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Annie whenever I take the cube apart to give it a good scrub all of my flock decide they need to lay, even those who are out of lay join the queue up the ramp )de: )de:

Is it any wonder we are all bonkers