Benny-Bev's chooky adventures!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Benny-Bev's chooky adventures!

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks all {hug}

Sandy {rofwl} at your ladder envy!

The newbies do look very young don't they - the man said they're 20 weeks old. Little Gloria hasn't even got hardly any wattles yet.

I put the little 'uns to bed last night at dawn - then Nita and Betty decided to stay up partying for ages! {rofwl}

This morning the little 'uns were sleeping in the eglooop and what a racket Nita was making - she wanted to go and make her egg but they must've been in her way!

I put the littlies to safety and then both Nita and Betty got in the eglooop to make their eggs together! {rofwl}

Such little characters aren't they. It's looking set to be another lovely day today, so I'll spend time with them again :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Oooh I've been having a lovely time in the sunshine with my little ladies today :-D

I'm sure that Gloria has grown you know in the days she's been here.

Nita and Gloria were having a natter through the fence

Betty & Nita preening together

Little Marji

Gloria enjoying a drink

Nita dust bathing - not bothered by my using her dust bath as a foot stool! {rofwl}

Nita digging right in and falling asleep

Anything you can do, I can do too.... all preening together

Betty dustbathing and enjoying the sunshine

Awww Benny's been enjoying the sunshine too

New game, playing 'fling the cauliflower stork' - very funny! {rofwl}

Awww littlies Gloria and Marji enjoying the sunshine
Betty 'helping' Nita with her preening!
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

great pics bev i love little marjis bouffant its just like my little rheimas 60's bouffant ill try to grab a pic of it tomorrow its grown with her and really sticks up {rofwl}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Great pics :-D Looks like they are settling in well )t'
LYN
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks all {hug}

Yesterday at about 4pm I thought I'd let them all be together in the run for a while, under supervision with water spray handy, to see how things go.

Wasn't too bad at all. The newbies and the oldies seemed to steer clear of each other and there weren't too many ructions which was good )t'

I noticed the little newbies squark and run away as soon as Betty or Nita go near them! Bless their little hearts {hug}

They're all together now, keeping close eye on them though.
Bev x

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Thats brill it's been pain free so far Bev )t' I wonder if non working girls are a bit more laid back :? Each time I've done intro's with ex's they have been really feisty and its taken quite a while for them to settle >shrug<
LYN
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Not sure Lyn, the intros when Betty and Nita arrived last year were a bit more beastly.

The bloke said Gloria and Margie are nearer in age to Betty and Nita so it should make things a bit easier.

Caught them just earlier from our bedroom window :-D here's some piccies taken with the camera zoom :-D

Betty & Nita on/in the dust bath

Zooming in on Gloria and Margie perching on the spare table

:-D together but keeping a ladylike distance :-D
Bev x

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Superb photos Bev )t' How clever you are writing their names on the photos. I can se that you were very relaxed, were you actually laying horizontal?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

sandy wrote:Superb photos Bev )t' How clever you are writing their names on the photos. I can se that you were very relaxed, were you actually laying horizontal?

{rofwl} ah that was yesterday Sandy, I sat in with the girls enjoying the sunshine on my pink chair - Betty and Nita kindly allowed me to use their dust bath/tyre as a foot stool )t'

I do my pictures for here on Picasa, find it quite easy to use :-D
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

More pictures for today, which is our 6th day :-D

Gloria and Margie have worked out what these funny pink things are - see how Margi (grey/white stripey lady) is craning her neck round the corner to eat from the same bit as Gloria.

Fluffy bloomers

"Oooh I think we quite like it here" :-D

Betty's most put out I'm not snapping her! +f+

Found the water

So funny how they have to do what the others are doing - Betty having a drink from the other feeder

Hehehe Gloria Tufty Head (left) and Margie (Right)

Naughty Nita

:-D :-D
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

They were being particularly beastly this morning, so have been divided today, I'm going to supervise some 'together' time shortly.

What's very pleasing is that Betty and Nita have been giving us an egg each every day, so that's nice. I guess they aren't finding it all too traumatic, despite all the bokking and squarking!! {rofwl}

Have to keep reminding myself they are chickens and that's what they do - even though it looks nasty sometimes to us humans, it may not be to them )t'

Righty, where's my DIY water spray bottle! {rofwl}
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Things are getting calmer by the day and the littlies are getting more and more bold as well :-D They seem to visibly relax when I'm in the run with them, like they know I'm there to protect them.

Only an occasional swipe from Betty or Nita to let them know who's the boss.

The water spray is very helpful in the event of any handbags - they do make me giggle how they give me a look of absolute disguist! {rofwl}

I find the whole psychology of new chickens and introductions really fascinating )t'

All in close proximity together :-D

Betty and Nita - DIY water spray at the ready!

Gloria Tufty-Head and Margie

Found something interesting on the run wall

Margie

:-D
Bev x

aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

they are really getting on with exploring and look right at home bev well done for keeping the calm )t' ive grabbed a couple of good ideas from your coop bev like the little roosting table my Marilyn likes a roost /perch and ill get it in place she loves to be high up and my others never bother
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Just love Glorias punk hair do :-D Can you imagine life without chooks now? :-D
LYN
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks Lyn and Ace :-D

You know I don't think I could imagine things without our lovely chookies.

There was a bit of handbags this morning, so I've separated them till later.

You should see Nita - she puffs right up and flexes her wings out looking like a right evil Edna the eagle! {rofwl}

The littlies do seem quite afraid of Nita and Betty when I'm not in with them - last night they roosted on the spare table, bless them.
Bev x