Julie's chicken keeping diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Re: Julie's chicken keeping diary

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Lovely pictures of beautiful hens. Those little pale faces will soon colour up in their wonderful new home. I'm really looking forward to following their adventures.

aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

julie they are lovely little girls lovto you and them
to you {hug} and good luck with the intros
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

They are good looking girls Julie and have plenty of clothes for this cold weather :-D They will soon have lovely rosey combs with your tlc the gorgeous lucky girls {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Well the two new girls haven't been fighting today Phyllis is definately top hen and Muriel is quite happy with that so not seen any nastiness today.

The new girls are in the little hen house at the moment and I hate them not having much room so I bought a 6 x 4 run on Amazon which I reckoned would fit on the end of the existing run. Anyway finally got around to making it up today and now they've got loads of room - the original run was about 30 sq ft and now they've got the extension on the front. I need to get some weldmesh to put round the bottom to make it fox proof but I'm pleased with it.. Obviously it's not as good as a full height run (we all know how awkward low runs are to clean out) but it's great for a second emergency house and for introductions.

Here it is .. the original run ended where the "roof" ends

And here it is next to Peckingham Palace.

My old girls have been freeranging all afternoon and the new girls were in the netting all was sweetness and light .. later on when the new girls were in their run .. my top hen had a fight with Phyliis through the wire .. I'd seen Phyllis eying her up earlier .. think she thought she'd make a bid for power. What are they like?!
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Little monkeys, having a fight through the wire! When will you introduce them minus a wire barrier? I might have a go tomorrow. But then again I might chicken out! Perhaps I'll let you go first!
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I'm a right chicken when it comes to introductions .. took me ages last time {rofwl}

I thought I'd let them settle in a bit first and build their strength up. They still dont seem quite sure yet what chickens should do! I might let them free range together this week and then go for it next week.
Julie

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I just love all this sumo wrestling through the wire, I am too apprehensive about mixing have only done it with big girls think I may have to let the feathers grow back a bit more. I am looking forward to see how you get on, you first ie {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I've been on earlies this morning so let the girls out early - just got home to check on them and

.... great excitement

... Muriel has made a dustbath!!

... Phyllis is confused

... and not very impressed

Cant believe how excited I am that she's dug a hole and buried herself in it!! {rofwl}
Julie

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Isn't life wonderful )t' Bless them stuck in a cage but they just know what to do don't they {hug} I was estactic when my batties dustbathed. Maye Phyllis thought it wasn't ladylike?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Watching them dust bathe is one of the greatest pleasures, especially when its ex Batties )t'
LYN
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

Sad to report that I lost Phyllis (one of the two batties from the last re-homing) this week. She laid a softie and was a bit off colour but nothing out of the ordinary - and was dead in the nestbox next morning. Upsetting as she's only been with me a short while but I guess that's the way it goes sometimes. No sign of her being ill except for laying a softie the day before she died and being a bit quiet that day.

Anyway, Muriel the other new girl is thriving and has fast become my new favourite Chicken - she follows me everywhere, is very tame, and loves a cuddle. It's been sweet watching her making friends with the older girls who were very closely bonded. She's still a bit on the outside looking in but the others have accepted her. I could sit and watch their antics all day. I get in from work usually at about half seven and I love this time of year when I can let them out of the run for the last hour before bedtime and just spend some quiet time in the garden with them.

I've got two pullets on order for next month as I'm back down to three girls again so there will be more fun and games when they arrive!
Julie

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Aw Julie so sorry you lost Phyllis {hug} {hug} I bet she has enjoyed every second of these last couple of months of freedom and proper chicken life. :-D
We never seem to have these girls long enough do we, but even just one day is better than never knowing anything but what they endured {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Julie, that's such a shame you lost Phyllis. With the ex's we are counting every day that they are with us "6 months today" or "another month and she will be the longest" or "only 2 months, not long enough" Sending {hug} {hug} to you.
LYN
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Linda S wrote:Aw Julie so sorry you lost Phyllis {hug} {hug} I bet she has enjoyed every second of these last couple of months of freedom and proper chicken life. :-D
We never seem to have these girls long enough do we, but even just one day is better than never knowing anything but what they endured {hug} Lindaxx

I do so agree.
Life's too short to quarrel
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Julie so sorry didn't mention your dear little girls name in my diary, sleep tight little Phyllis {hug&kiss}