The Ladies of Rohan

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
aceface
Legendary Laner

Re: The Ladies of Rohan

Post by aceface »

great use name and as for the photos they are lovely girls your gingernut is beautiful a lovely inqusitive little face what a great Walk-in-Run you have too )t'
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx

Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

Post by Riders of Rohan »

One of the things Gary the breeder said on Friday when we were collecting them was that they would soon put themselves to bed. This didn't seem likely on Saturday night when me and Her Indoors were catching feathery shadows.
On Sunday H.I. managed to do it single-handed and again on Monday. On Tuesday night the game was up and victory was ours (or hers if you listen to H.I.), the pen was empty and the nest box full with 4 eggs.
Simba the Dalmatian has been watching events down his garden from the safety of the living room window, and with some concern. In an act of defiance he staked his claim of possession on the chicken run by cocking his leg against it on Friday shortly after their arrival. On Wednesday I allowed him to sit outside the pen looking in. If he was hoping for a show of respect from the new residents but without too much effort on his part, he was to be disappointed; instead of running away the Gingernutter ran towards him and stood looking at him no doubt wondering if the black dots might be edible.
Like most Dalmatians Simba has perfected the art of opening doors by using his front paws to twist the handle, not a trick we have ever encouraged but one he has developed for his own purposes (the acquisition of food, warm and comfortable seating etc), I am wondering if I need to be able to lock myself in the run from the inside when he is outside.
Nearly a week now perhaps we should think about the possibility of names for the new residents. So far the only worthwhile suggestion has come from my youngest son and his girlfriend - Zazu, allocated to the Rhode Rock. If I were to say their dog is called Nala the film buffs out will see where they are coming from.
(For those with lives: Simba, Nala and Zazu are all characters in Lion King).
A sudden drop in temperature and snow forecast for the weekend the chicken bunker may be put to the test.
Why Riders of Rohan? Used to work for a bus company called Yorkshire Rider, now own a Rohan clothing shop, sorry I'm no Tolkein!
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

{rofwl} {rofwl} i too lock myself in the chicken coop its the only sane place in this mad house sometimes and as for the dog if he sits still long enough the chooks will eat him {rofwl} they seem to eat everything else dont they {rofwl}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Hi, regarding your dog,I suggest you do find a way of closing the door over when you are with the hens , even the most biddable dog is best kept with a barrier between it and the hens just for safety's sake.
I have a reverse sussex too - she is quite a shy girl who avoids any trouble that the others may be causing - does yours seem the same ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

Yes the Sussex is quiet. In fact I know her the least, she is not in the yer face Ginger or the looney Bluebelle. The Rhode Rock is a determined but reserved like the Sussex. In the short time I have been able to spend with them I know the least about the latter two.
Why Riders of Rohan? Used to work for a bus company called Yorkshire Rider, now own a Rohan clothing shop, sorry I'm no Tolkein!
s33xpt
Lively Laner

Post by s33xpt »

Great diary )t' if you think your Ginger is a nutter and like the personality try an ex-bat or two }hairout{ , so cheeky and funny, great little characters {rofwl}
sharing my home with Kasa the Kelpie Dog, Trouble & Chaos the cats, 8 ex batts and an ever suffering animal suffocated OH
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Great diary )t' We have a small bolt on the inside of the chooks doors. Easy to put on and saves the chooks escaping if you want them IN and the dog from going in when you want him out :-D
LYN
Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

On Thursday I had a meeting in Sheffield City centre and used the train. At Leeds I had the choice of a slow stopping train or waiting half an hour for the express, both were due to arrive at Sheffield at the same time. Given the express was heading for Plymouth and had presumably started out from Aberdeen very early that morning I decided a "bird in the hand" and opted for the old, warm and waiting to depart slow one. The journey went through various former mining villages and I found myself looking into back gardens at the huts and outbuildings and thinking that would make a good hen hut, occasionally one would clearly already be a hen hut. I couldn't stop myself and I ask have others found themselves doing this? Does this sort of behaviour lead to trainspotting?
I caught the express back.
My last post included a reference to Her Indoors. She would like it to be known she is not in favour of this descriptor. As the Chicken Bunker is clearly outdoors and she has spent time and energy rounding up the Ladies at bedtime she can't be Indoors when she is Outdoors, a technical point but one I have conceded. She Who Must Be Obeyed SWMBO is her preference as this applies both inside and outside and in all matters.
The water container is taking some mastering. Taking it up the steps and through the door to the drain and then the tap and then back through the door and steps in the dark without spilling any over my feet is still to be achieved. This morning on the return journey from the tap I carried it upside down without spilling any so this might be the new tactic for tomorrow, I am sure its against the rules otherwise why put the carrying handle on the top?
While leaning against the pen observing my new charges the Little Brown Hen attempted to fly up onto my outstretched arm. It took me by surprise and the attempt failed as a result. I think she is rushing things in our relationship, I'm not ready for such intimacy.
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Riders of Rohan wrote:While leaning against the pen observing my new charges the Little Brown Hen attempted to fly up onto my outstretched arm. It took me by surprise and the attempt failed as a result. I think she is rushing things in our relationship, I'm not ready for such intimacy.

Little brown hen obviously is {rofwl} {rofwl}
LYN
s33xpt
Lively Laner

Post by s33xpt »

Riders of Rohan wrote: The journey went through various former mining villages and I found myself looking into back gardens at the huts and outbuildings and thinking that would make a good hen hut, occasionally one would clearly already be a hen hut. I couldn't stop myself and I ask have others found themselves doing this? Does this sort of behaviour lead to trainspotting?

I don't often use the train but regularly drive M62/M61/M60 and it is amazing when the traffic is slow how many little allotments and hen houses you can see just at the side of the motorway...I can now even spot when changes have been made to them {rofwl}
sharing my home with Kasa the Kelpie Dog, Trouble & Chaos the cats, 8 ex batts and an ever suffering animal suffocated OH
Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

s33xpt wrote:
Riders of Rohan wrote: The journey went through various former mining villages and I found myself looking into back gardens at the huts and outbuildings and thinking that would make a good hen hut, occasionally one would clearly already be a hen hut. I couldn't stop myself and I ask have others found themselves doing this? Does this sort of behaviour lead to trainspotting?

I don't often use the train but regularly drive M62/M61/M60 and it is amazing when the traffic is slow how many little allotments and hen houses you can see just at the side of the motorway...I can now even spot when changes have been made to them {rofwl}

Sounds a little bit dangerous!! I commuted to Leeds for 14 years and most times couldn't remember anything about the journey, at least you can sometimes.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Love the photos of your girlies )t' Their home looks really lovely
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Lovely girls and a great run, they will be very happy in there )t'
julieann
Legendary Laner

Post by julieann »

I'm enjoying reading your chicken diary and your Walk-in-Run looks great. I too am always on the look out for chickens whilst out and about, its amazing how many you see when looking for them. Prior to having my own birds I didn't give chicken spying a thought!
Julie x
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

My other half, Oheckitseck aka Eck, uses the upside down technique when carrying the drinkers, I use the handle - see us girls are far superior no wonder Mrs ROR wants to be deferred to as SWMBO !
On journeys I,too, hen house allotment watch - and when walking the dogs - I spy large gardens and think to myself ' what a waste'. A little )ot: but for years I kept horses and nowadays when passengering in the car ,particulalrly on motorways, I look across at large fields and think to myself - cor that would be a good field for a gallop.
I have to add you will become a fully fledged chicken keeper when you purchase a cyclist head light, which you wear over your wooly hat (otherwise the elastic rides up and the light shoots off the bonce at 90mph) when tending the girls in the gloom. We recently bought one and Eck donned the apparel and headed up the garden, only to hear the neighbours children giggling in the street and whispering (loudly) to each other / Whats that man got on his head?' {rofwl}
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful