The Ladies of Rohan

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Re: The Ladies of Rohan

Post by aishakali »

They'll probably find out that cigarettes are good for you too in 20 yrs time :?
LYN

Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

Post by Riders of Rohan »

Chicken keeping in what we call summer is certainly much easier than in winter. It
is so much more relaxed. However I am glad I started in the depths of winter otherwise when winter returns it would be a shock to the system.
The Ladies have been allowed to venture out of their pen and explore the "garden" a
few times now.
The first time LBH (who else) disgraced herself by sneaking through the hedge and starting digging maneouvres in next door's garden.
On my hands and knees pushing my head into a small gap in the undergrowth I whispered
"What are you doing there"
LBH looked up as if surprised to see me on a level with her, and then carried on digging.
"Right, I'll show you" I said and headed in for the meal-worms. The other three played their part by their noisy and enthusiastic enjoyment of said treat. This caused panic next door as the way in proved not to be the way out. LBH could get her head and neck through but not much else. After some pulling and pushing of undergrowth LBH popped through for her share.
Lessons to be learned are that holes come in various sizes. Holes that were previously too small for Dalmatians, even Dalmatians when they are puppies, are big enough (just) for Little Brown Hens that are too greedy for their own good.
Why Riders of Rohan? Used to work for a bus company called Yorkshire Rider, now own a Rohan clothing shop, sorry I'm no Tolkein!
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Lovely story and good to see you :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Great story, I can see you poking your head through the hedge and eye to eye with LBH {rofwl}
LYN
Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

Post by Riders of Rohan »

Having done nothing more strenuous than drive a desk while at work the heaviest thing I had to pick up was a biro. Consequently my hands are small, soft and "girlie". Now in my new role I sell gloves and find there are many "girlies" out there with bigger stronger hands than me. However there is an advantage to having small hands, I can push dandelion leaves through the gap between the Chicken Bunker door and the roof.
This is a cruel tease of my feathered girlie friends.
The expectation this causes is fun to watch. LBH and Zazu stand shoulder to shoulder (wing to wing?) and jostle each other as if waiting for a corner kick, Bluebell joins in and when the first leaves start to flutter down there is an almighty aerial battle which continues on at ground level. However the Pied Sussex keeps a respectful and slightly disinterested distance, inevitably the remaining leaves follow on but un-noticed by the combatants and PS then saunters up grabs a mouthful of dandelion and retreats to a quiet corner hoping to be ignored. Its a clever strategy that really should be adopted by our national team at corner kicks; a late un-marked arrival in the box.
A few weeks ago I was worried about LBH.
The morning procedure is usually a mad scramble through the pop hole direct to the layers mash, a distance of slightly over a yard (that's a metre isn't it) with all four trying to peck at the same bit. However LBH started to ignore this and wandered as if lost around the bunker casually pecking at the walls. The first few mornings fearing she had lost her way or was ill in some way I would pick her up and place her at the mash, on one occasion actually "pecking" at the mash with my finger as if to indicate what was required!
Needless to say she wasn't impressed.
After a few such episodes I realised she was actually searching for slugs slithering down the walls of the bunker. It seems that a number of slugs have still to update their sat-navs and continue to use the slug equivalent of the M62 blissfully unaware of the revised route to the north of the Chicken Bunker, instead slipping to a certain death.
That does remind me, does anyone know how to up-date that little chip inside a Tom-Tom? Mine has a fit every time I travel on the "new" section of the A1 in Lincolnshire, insisting we are travelling across a field at 60 mph and should "turn around".
Relax Sattie its a Land Rover.
Why Riders of Rohan? Used to work for a bus company called Yorkshire Rider, now own a Rohan clothing shop, sorry I'm no Tolkein!
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Now, you see, that is very interesting, because so far my girls won't eat anything you drop into the run for them. They watch dandelion leaves etc as they flutter down, rush over to them, then after a single peck they leave them alone. They do peck at growing leaves, though. Too fussy?
Life's too short to quarrel