Bridget's Mum's Fabulous Flock

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: Bridget's Mum's Fabulous Flock

Post by Linda S »

I cant help laughing at the face on pics and the one of the 5 girls all chilling out is lovely. :-D
Your girls are looking great BM and are enjoying a smashing life by the evidence of your photos.
They are all gorgeous girls and every one of them a credit to you {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you

Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Rubbish day
I lost my lead chicken, Pearl, today. Can't believe she's gone, she was such a character and I can't imagine my little flock without her. Who will help me clean out the coop, feed the guinea pigs, sit on my knee and lead very important missions? She has been noticeably slowing down over the last couple of weeks but took a severe turn for the worse on Friday and was PTS this morning. I'd had her for 21 months and she spent most of that time directing operations and planning world domination. I'll really miss her.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Im so sorry your beautiful Pearl has joined all our other litte Angels over Rainbow Bridge {hug}
21mths of a lovely free life with you was a wonderful acheivment for her but i know it dosent lessen the pain you are feeling {hug} I still miss mine evey day but now any tears are bittersweet for thier loss but also for the life they had however many or few days it was

I hope you dont mind me asking how is Coral coming on {hug} Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Like you I have got the girls altogether thank goodness. I love the sunbathing photos, they are such good girls to pose so well for you. Titch's close up is a gem )t' I am so sorry you have lost your beloved Pearl, you know she had a fantastic life with you and I am sure she has drilled the others to keep up her good work {hug} Please let us know how Coral is doing?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Thank you ladies. Its so good to know that there are always Laners who understand the sticky chicken moments. Pearl did have a good time after she escaped her cage - largely because she was so confident and downright impertinent that she had adventures my other chickens didn't even dream of.
Coral improved steadily after her trip to the vet. She's now moulting and looks like a bag of dusters but she's certainly in much better health. Still very thin and pale faced though. My problem now is that I can't get her back in with the others - they all pile on top of her and I genuinely fear for her life. She's living in a coop and run within the Walk-in-Run and if I suggest she comes out for a spot of free range she marches into the coop and snuggles down in her favourite sleeping place - even if its only lunchtime. I'm hoping for a re-introduction once she stops moulting.
On a happier note my other 8 ladies have had a lovely few days pootling round in the sunshine and assisting in the veg patch.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Its great to hear Coral and the girls are fine and well :-D
Coral sounds like she knows her own mind and prefers to be safe bless her. Our Litte Hope was like that andwould stand at the gate when she wanted her dad and he of course would drop everthing and go to her, we stiil cant get used to not seeing her waiting patiently for him. {cry}
I love your bag of dusters description thats one worth remembering, it conjours up a lovely picture in my head :-D Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I think Coral needs to get through her moult first? Glad she is better )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

I've got another lap sitter!
Coral has finally decided to brave the great outdoors again although the others are still being hideously violent. We had the last laugh a couple of evenings ago though. Coral had ventured out and three of the others jumped on her. I picked her up from the scrum just as several other chickens joined the fray. They carried on for a bit before they realised that their victim had gone. I sat down with Coral on my knee and she settled for a little sleep with her head under her wing, then when one of the others approached she jumped awake, looked around in panic and hopped onto my shoulder. I don't know how long she stayed there but it seemed a long time to me with one of her nails embedded in my neck. Eventually my husband appeared and rescued me. We've had a little chill out session together tonight but I kept her off my shoulder! She's gaining weight too which is reassuring. I just hope she doesn't go back to any of that egg laying nonsense again though.
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Coral has had a lovely day free ranging and only been beaten up about 6 times. She's perfected the art of melting behind various objects and generally making herself invisible. If there's a human around she hops aboard and snuggles down.

Here she is with my eldest daughter

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Great pics!! The second one is lovely, coral looks as if she's checking out your daughter to make sure she knows her next time, so cute :-D
LYN
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

coral looks as if she's checking out your daughter to make sure she knows her next time, so cute

My daughters look very alike. Coral's just checking to see which one it is!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Only 6 times, poor Coral {hug} But I think your daughter needs to be a bit careful last time I had my ex girl Alice on my shoulder I got a bloody eye yike*

Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Its been a while since I last posted.....
Human affairs have been keeping me busy but that doesn't mean the ladies haven't been having their own adventures.
Coral is now completely recovered and has put on a huge amount of weight. I've given up trying to get her back in with her raptor sisters and she is still in the coop within the Walk-in-Run.
Titch, one of the originals, has been really poorly, to the extent that I left my chicken sitter with instructions to have her PTS if she looked like she was suffering while I was away. I came back a few days later to find a miraculous recovery. She must still have low energy levels though as the raptors kept attacking her. Happily she's teamed up with Coral in the little run. Biggest and smallest chickens together. A couple of days ago Iris (original girl) decided she'd had enough of the rough and tumble lot and decided she'd move into the sheltered accommodation too. The three seem very happy together and while Iris will still free range with the raptors Coral and Titch choose to remain close to their coop.
Which leads me to the rest of the 'new' girls. They are MONSTERS. I can't determine any pecking order - they are all as horrible as each other and scrap frequently even when they are out all day. Olga is the only one of my originals to stay in with them and I think that is because she was always at the bottom of the pecking order in the original flock. If anyone pecks at her she just ducks out of the way and shrugs them off. She's also now joining in with the fisticuffs which she would never have done before the arrival of the raptors. If these new girls had been my re-introduction to chicken keeping I probably wouldn't have ever got ex cage hens again. I certainly won't try mixing two flocks again. Everyone told me that the oldies would beat up the newbies but it has been totally the other way round and my beautiful sweet originals have had their lovely lives totally shaken up.
The first gang were ex batt ISA Warrens. The second lot are ex colony cage Goldlines. Anyone any thoughts on why the two batches are so different?
On the plus side, my new girls all want to be with me. There's never any need for me to call them in; they are over at the speed of light the second they see me and then I have trouble walking as there are always a couple of chickens under my feet. And 4 of them lay extremely well. They're all very vocal.
Ah well, without the monsters I wouldn't have got my beautiful Coral. One angel and 5 asbos. Hey ho.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi BM its lovely to see you back and hear how all your girls are its really great to hear that Coral is so well and has a smashing best mate in Titch {hug}
As for the rest of the gang(sters) they sound like they are definately a handful yike* Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Glad your Titch is okay )t' Its funny my ex bats mixed quite well after a bad start its the ex free rangers who are having the troubles