Bridget's Mum's Fabulous Flock

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
aceface
Legendary Laner

Re: Bridget's Mum's Fabulous Flock

Post by aceface »

all mine sleep on the floor and i dont mind one bit they snuggle together and as for portias wing maybe it has been strained or broken in the past and has healed if she tucks it up and flaps i wouldnt worry ,it probablly worries you more than it does her , )t'

they are a lovley looking set of girls and i would like to wish you every good luck with the rambling rose {rofwl} take plenty of pictures so that you can remember what it was going to look like {rofwl} pesky little hens might make short work of it
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Out of my 4, Sweetie and Rose sometimes perch, if the weather is mild. Usually they all snuggle up in the nest box or coop floor. I know Batties aren't used to perching but not sure about ex barn or free range. I think I would rather they were in the coop though, rather than on the roof :?
LYN
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

All my girls snuggle including Scarlet and Blondie who came from a large barn with perches as 20ish wks old
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

aishakali wrote:I think I would rather they were in the coop though, rather than on the roof :?

The coop is inside a shed so its not as horrible as it sounds!

I've spent the morning arranging, re-arranging and re-arranging yet again, the living accommodation. The coop in question has been in three different places and the perch has been at 3 different heights. Really thought all was well in version two but then grew increasingly worried that the perch was too high and moved everything again. At that point my chief perch fixer (long suffering husband) went for a little lie down.

At the last check the newbies were divided between the coop roof and the high, low, medium, changed direction perch. I might just nip out in a minute and see where they've finally chosen.

Got most of the interior design finished before the rain started and then all the girls came back into the run. I had the oldies and the newbies together for about half an hour which was just about alright but I think the oldies were surviving it rather than enjoying it. Eventually I couldn't stand it any more and put the newbies back in their own bit and sat with my beloved oldies for a bit. Gave them an apple on their treat stick to make up for all the aggro.

Here's Iris being disturbed by the mad photographer. Please excuse her dirty beak - she had had a happy time foraging before the rain started.

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Shes gorgeous and I just love the expression on her face :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

What lovely girls, I really enjoyed reading about their adventures so far, all four of my girls sleep on the floor or in the nest box,I am going to put perches in when they move into the new shed but I doubt they will use them to be honest.I love your idea of having hanging baskets too and am going to do that when I put my run up )t'
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

morbidia wrote:.I love your idea of having hanging baskets too and am going to do that when I put my run up )t'

I thought fuschias as my run is shady when the leaves come on the trees. Apparently some have edible seed pods so they might provide a snack for the ladies. I shall investigate. What do you plan for yours?
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

I'm not sure yet,something bright though because they have eaten everything else in the garden that has any colour in it {rofwl} I grew trailing petunias one year and they were fantastic, I got a massive display for very little output, so might plant them again,I am also looking at ways of trying to make the run a feature in the garden,I have seen bunting on peoples runs and xmas lights at christmas so might go mad and do that too,my daughters think I have lost my mind but I keep telling them I just have a bad case of chickenitis {rofwl}
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

You are just like me, I arrange the house then stand back and change it ! We had our girls at the same time and intregation hasn't worked yet, the strongest one is game but my smallest big girl is huge upto my two little newbies. Having a cold from hell dosent help your nerves does it. I love reading this diary as we are on the same journey )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

sandy wrote: I love reading this diary as we are on the same journey )t'

I always read your posts Sandy, even if I'm too tired to log on and comment.

Integration is going :? I thought I'd give my old girls a bit of peace this morning and the opportunity to scratch around the muck heap without being attacked so I put the newbies in the big run and only let the oldies out to free range.

Here's my beautiful Pearl. I think she's beginning to feel her age, she's been slowing down for the last month or so but she's still the best knee sitter.

To make up for putting them back in the run after only an hour I bribed them with sweetcorn. For some reason I can't post the pic.
Maybe the one I accidentally took of the roof before I left the run will upload.
Typical!

I.T. is evidently not my strong point.

The new girls had corn on the cob too but didn't know what to make of it. It was dark when I got home so I don't know yet if they worked it out. They did all lay though which made me feel extra bad about not letting them free range. This working for a living thing really interferes with chicken management!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lovely photos, Pearl looks like a Pearl bless her, she has a floppy like my Elsie. Lap sitters are special girls arent they, especially when the weather is cold. You are so lucky to have such a nice big area for them to run around. My run maybe big but it is in sections and mixing them has caused my big girls to turn into predatory raptors. Oh well I will get them together, never taken this long though
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Pearl is beautiful {hug} I miss Boots, my lap sitter, haven't got one now {cry} You are so lucky having a knee warmer. How old is Pearl? Just love her floppy bonnet :-D
LYN
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

BM these look like lovely happy girls i love pearls floppy comb ,they are my secret guilty pleasure the bigger and floppirr the better lovely pic of the run roof by the way i have some pics like that {rofwl} i cant handle hi tech thinummy bobs ive just got hang of the forum {rofwl}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

morbidia wrote:I have seen bunting on peoples runs and xmas lights at christmas so might go mad and do that too,my daughters think I have lost my mind but I keep telling them I just have a bad case of chickenitis {rofwl}

I put bunting up for the girls henniversary party last year - one strand is still there. I've made some too but I think I'll wait for better weather before I string it up. I bought solar powered lights too, but now I can't find them. I think every chicken should have bunting and lights! Might start a campaign! (My daughters have long since given up worrying about my peculiar ways!)
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

sandy wrote:You are so lucky to have such a nice big area for them to run around. My run maybe big but it is in sections and mixing them has caused my big girls to turn into predatory raptors. Oh well I will get them together, never taken this long though

I am lucky to have that bit of land (sans dog) where my girls can go out to play - we only bought it a couple of years ago and we were very, very, very lucky to get it. The girls can only be there when I am around though so they spend an average of 21 hours a day in their run.
I have been managing the integration by putting a smaller run within the Walk-in-Run and as you say Sandy, the predatory raptor instinct comes out big style - although in my case its the upstart new chickens who are the aggressors. I thought my original top chicken would make mincemeat of any newcomers but she's evidently decided discretion is the better option.
Integration was harder than I expected, possibly because my new girls formed a flock of their own before they met my original angel chickens. All the rotten weather's fault! Still, they are at last all together. They still sleep separately but I noticed Titch, one of my oldies, went to bed with her gang, then got up again and hung around the newbies ramp, then went back to sleep with the oldies in their coop. Maybe she wants to be friends. Maybe she has mur.der in her heart because these new chickens have pushed her out of her hen house!
The new girls have made themselves totally at home - they're happy to eat cabbage, corn on the cob and my grand daughters' fish fingers. And they loooove the muck heap and its never ending supply of worms.