Bed, Breakfast and Evening Mealworms

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: Bed, Breakfast and Evening Mealworms

Post by MissEllie »

Your posts are beautiful Linda, thank you for sharing your girl's story. really looking forward to the next one {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

We had 6 happy girls blissfully dust bathing in the sun today its been nearly tropical :-D
While me and hubby were sat watching them going about thier chickeny ways we talked about the mental anguish they must have gone through in the cages, not being able to do anything.
Watching Sasha on her quest to dig to Oz it was so satisfying knowing that she can dig to her little hearts content, I know most hens love digging but she has a passion about it.

The girls now sleep in a small wardrobe turned on its side with a door cut out, and they have a double cupboard which Faith odd times uses and Faiths single cupboard.
These are all in thier shed wich is 9x9 and has clear panels in the roof and so is like an indoor run iykwim, so they get up when they are ready but cant get outside till we let them out about 8.
Anyhow the point is that today we have given it a good clean out and moved round a bit and Scarlet has taken her position as top hen very seriously.
Every bed was inspected thoroughly with the odd bit of staw rearanged here and there, then she went out to the others and gave them a lecture about keeping thier rooms tidy I think.
Not to be outdone Blondie came in singing as usual and of course double checked and then went out and lectured the others too, shes so funny and gorgeous {rofwl}
Ithink April would be very pleased with how these two are running the flock {hug}
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Ah lovely. I do like a tale of happy chicken sunbathing and digging. I know what you mean about trying to imagine how they survived in the cages when you see them so busy and happy. It's heartbreaking to think how long they were deprived. Happy days now though :-D
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

AW Linda you need to right a novel as you have done here from your girls points of view, I adore this thread it is beautifully written )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Luna
Longlasting Laner

Post by Luna »

I too love this thread. It's really lovely to hear the backstory of the girls who have gone over rainbow bridge, but whose names we see in your signature.

I look forward to your updates )t'
Jo x
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."
Atticus Finch in 'To Kill a Mockingbird' by Harper Lee
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Yesterday (sun) the girls had a lovely time playing with my little grandaughter, they dont really bother much with corn but oblidged her by running after what she chucked.
Hope was sat on Ts knee and of course she wanted to sit on grandads knee with the chicken and hand feed her maggots {hug}
They have some large bricks round the edge of the fence to stop them or the dogs sticking noses under and we lifted them for the girls to get the goodies under them, all you could see was fluffy bloomers in the air.
It was so comical and if i had a camera it would have been a super shot for our bloomer expert extrodinaire Lyn :-D
Also Hope has eaten much more today than in ages, the usual maggots, and chicken meal and she also had quite a bit of sweetcon and the mixed corn too )c(
So hopefully she is overcoming her grief,after loseing our April, it might sound strange to people who dont have pets but we like a lot of you believe that some feel the loss very deeply and they were very close.
Hope even went to bed very early and in the exact place she died until the other day when stayed up till neary 8 with the others, that was the day she slept most of the afternoon and we were quite worried.
Also she is a little more confident than she was, and she is having to stand up for herself more which is good to see :-D
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

So glad Hope is feeling better linda )t' She will be back to her old self very soon I'm sure.
I lift the slabs for the girls too, as soon as they see me put on my Marigolds and go outside the run they are THERE! They all push in to get the best vantage point which sometimes means actually on the edge of the slab >dowhat< How I've managed not to sever any toes or decapitate them I don't know!! Sweetie obviously gets the lions share, no shame that one :-D Looking forward to your next entry )t'
LYN
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So nice to hear Hope is getting on better, sounds like she is becoming a bit of a dirty stop out!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

{rofwl} Thats what we call them Sandy with the weather being nice lately they just dont want to go to bed, its worse than having kids :-D
We go down the garden and say "come on girls its time for bed to get your beauty sleep you are such little stop outs lately"
Of course they just chunter on that they cant possibly get any more beautiful than they are already, and I do have to agree with them {hug}
On the odd occasion that we have gone down and they have gone to bed they all come running out of the shed again when they hear us coming.
They then give us disgusted looks when more mealworms or other treats arnt forthcoming and the language from thier beaks is shocking from the little madams {warn}
Today again there were loads of holes where they have been dust bathing and sunning themselves, I love to watch them.
Ah it must be such a hard life being a much loved and pampered chook, although they probably would say they are hard done by and dont get enough goodies the little minxes :-D
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

you tell such a lovley tale linda and how these girls have been so lucky is amazing ,im glad little hope is coming through i can see the little bottomes up story so well Lyn is hooked on these fluffy bloomers maybe we should have a little corner of the forum dedicated to fluffy bloomer shots {hug} )t'

your words are always lovely to read Linda and your love and devotion shines through {hug&kiss}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

YES PLEASE :-D
LYN
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Talking of fluffy bloomers when Hope was a bit off it the other day her bum was a bit mucky but today her fluffy little tush is back to its blooming best )t'.
I also noticed she dose'nt feel quite as feather light as she did and she is eating much better thank goodness :-D
No basking today for the sun goddesses its been cold and rainy so for tea they had lovely warm hard boiled eggs and they loved them they pecked stray bits off each others beaks. Once clean they toddled happily to bed and snuggled up chattering away while Blondie sang a lullaby.
April always used to call them to bed and would make gentle bop-bops until they were all settled down and although not top hen Blondie has taken over the bed time routine.
Its to be hopes that Faith never decides to try to create a lovely relaxed atmosphere for sleep cause she sounds like Foghorn Leghorn.
For such a tiny girl goodness she has she got a big beak on her, with a voice like hers sheshould be as big as an ostritch :-D
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

aishakali wrote:YES PLEASE :-D

maybe if you ask richard nicely and send him some biscuits and sweets for the office he might consider it .

i can see it now it would look like a can can finale {rofwl}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

CHAPTER THREE......THE YOUNG ONES

The 4 youngsters arrived and my goodness they were wild things, they were colourful little bantams and quite cute I suppose.
They were in the ark and one of them was so noisey and aggresive to the smaller ones, it sat at the top of the ladder and attacked them on thier way in and out of the roost.
It had a very large red comb and it turned out to be a laying hen caught by mistake, mum took her back and peace was restored at last, and the others came down into the run more.

They grew fast and I found great contentment in mothering them, but no matter how much I called to them they would'nt sleep in my hutch and preffered to balance on a stick >shrug<.
Whats all that about, I love to snuggle in my nest I like my comfort you know.
I told them I'd had enough of hard stuff under my feet but whatever floats your boat kids I said.
So I started to sleep in the litter box under the perch near them, I warned them not to poop on my head and there was a deep layer of shavings in there.
Please do'nt worry I was still sleeping in the comfort which befits my status and to which I was now accustomed.

Roxie was a lovely deep red like me and had black marks like a necklace round her neck and dark green and black feathers in her tail, and we got on really well together.
Roxie was maturing a bit faster than the others and her comb was bright red, in fact all 3 were getting brighter and more beautiful as they grew.
We thought we might soon be getting a lovely little egg from her, you know the sign that says our baby has grown into a lovely young lady !!
Well one day we got the sign very clearly and there was no mistakeing it either, but it was'nt the one we wanted.

Roxie was a cockrella-doodle-doo it came as a bit of a shock I can tell you, and me being an innocent and living a sheltered life I had no suspicions, so we changed his name to Rex and carried on enjoying life.
I told him not to worry mum and dad did'nt love us just for eggs, after all I dont contribute to the household food stash but Im here for the duration.
Unfortunately mum explaind that we wern't allowed to have boys and she would have to find him a new home. {cry}
Mum tried all over but could'nt find a safe forever home for Rex and she was very upset, until she ran into an old friend she had lost contact with.
Mum explained our tale and her friend said she would take him to live with her elderly flock.
Not long after that China started shouting the dawn chorus at 5am things wern't looking to good.
Although Petal had not yet exercised the vocal chords with a rendition of I'll wake you up before I go go, it was only a matter of time(probaply 5am again)
To minimise any stress China and Pete went together to live with Rex, oh when would thislosing my family end {cry}

It was 8.9.12 andFresh Start For Hens didn't have a rescue until 20th october so once again until then I was alone

TO BE CONTINUED
Last edited by Linda S on 13 Apr 2013, 20:45, edited 3 times in total.
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

And, and??? ??????
LYN