Bed, Breakfast and Evening Mealworms

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: Bed, Breakfast and Evening Mealworms

Post by Linda S »

sorry Lyn but i sometimes write my entry and it says im not logged when i click submit in so now i usually do a bit and see if it posts and then press edit to finish. Its so bl@@dy }hairout{to do the lot and it wipes it i think you caught me mid post. Hope you enjoy it :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Really really enjoying this Linda )t' Log on then post? You can do lots of little post too :-D
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Ihad probs i would be logged in and post on another thread then come to post my entry on my diary and it would say i was not logged in and i def was . Dont know what was happening so do it like that if im posting a long one but not bother if its short like this )t'
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

CHAPTER FOUR......SCARLET AND BLONDIE TO THE RESCUE

When the boys were leaving me I was calling to them to be brave and enjoy thier new home, they were shouting for me, we were all very upset.
My calls were very sad because I would miss my kids, {cry} they were very timid boys but they were lovable little souls and were just starting to come a bit closer to mum and dad.
Mum told her friend how sad I was and she suggested it might be a good idea to get a couple of young hens from a local man who had healthy young ginger hybrid girls.

They decided to get 2 girls sooner rather than later as they were very worried about how I would cope as my loss was a bit different this time, and I had reacted differently.
All the girls were in a big barn and most of them came over to say hello and were interested and curious and looked in very good nick, and so they chose 2 beauties for me.

Mum and dad arrived back with the box they took the boys in so I thought they had come back to me and I called exitedly to them.
I got a suprise when they opened the box and put the girls in the ark, but a nice one I might add.
I went straight over and introduced myself they seemed nice girls and I was very happy to wellcome them to my home.

I think mum is partial to red hens like me because Scarlet is very similar to me a lovely rich colour with gold flecks on the back of her neck, shes very pretty and quiet too she dosn't say much.
Blondie has also got some dark red feathers but she has lotd of gold and blonde feathers she is beautiful and when the sun shines on her she glows.
Also she goes round singing all the time !! she only shuts up when she's eating and even then will belt a line or two out between beakfulls, so you can see how she got her name :-D

Next day Blondie laid an egg and has done everyday since, Scarlet laid a couple of days later and then missed a couple of days until she got going.
They are lovely generous girls and we have the best of both worlds, mum has some tasty eggs which she shares scrambled with us, and I have my very special girls who give me so much love and companinship.

So im not alone anymore and im very content and happy, I love it when a plan comes together dont you? :-D

TO BE CONTINUED
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

linda i love how you write so eloquently ,their little personalities shine through and i can see the colours you describe ,

please dont keep us waiting long for the next chapter )b(
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Ace the next chapter is dedicated to, and specially for you and I hope you will like it will try and get it on tomorrow :-D Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Up until abot 4.30 it was gale force winds here and all I kept seeing was red bundles being blown around the chook garden, aw my poor girls.
Sorrel has been in a fowl mood today she has done nothing but pick on the ex batty bundles,she would get Faith and then Faith would get Sasha or they both would get poor Sasha.
April would have stopped it pretty quick but Scarlet and hench hen Blondie just let her get on with it and they chipped in with their two-pence worth {warn}
I think they all must have had to much cold wind blown up those fluffy bloomers, I hope they get up in a better mood tomorrow or I will threaten to withhold the mealworms yike*

Their pear tree will be in leaf soon and there are leaves on the girls rose tree its lovely in there in summer, the new girls will love it.
Not sure if the turf i was given to mop the mud up has taken but the girls are enjoying ripping bits of it and chucking it all over.
It keeps them entertained for at least lets see , um about 3 minutes
I keep lifting the edges for them to get the goodies underneath so dont suppose thats any good for it, but the girls like it so who am I to spoil their fun {hug}
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Poor little loves but they do look so comical when the wind blows their feathers around. Are your batties and oldies sleeping together yet?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Its strange to look out and not see our lovely little Hope waiting patiently at the gate for her dad to go out and let her into our garden with him so he can sneak her some juicy worms.
Since April and Hope died the chicken garden feels empty although the other 5 girls are still there iykwim, we miss our girls so much {cry} and then our Scarlet gave us a scare last night too.

At 4 ish hubby said she was her happy normal self but when we got back from my Dads at 7.30 I thought she was definately not .
All but her came running to us as usual but she just kept pecking the muck, her tail was down a little bit instead of straight up and you know when you just feel somethings not right, i can tell you i was worried again.
We threw some mealworms down and she just ignored them, her crop felt normal and everthing else looked healthy and ok, she pecked a little mash and then took herself of to bed much earlier than usual.

All the girls had laid their eggs that morning with only Faiths being in her bed broken which has happend a couple of times lately and she has had some soft and strange shells over the last 2 wks.
Faith sleeps in her cupboard alone and always lays in the box as do all the others but her broken ones have always been in her bed, she has laid perfect little eggs everyday since she came out of the cages in oct till lately

This morning when the girls were let out there was a broken egg where Scarlet and the other girls sleep and Scarlet is back to lovely lively self so >fi< everything will be ok now if that was indeed the problem :-D
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

>fi< >fi< it was that linda those old eggs make our girlies feel so down {hug}
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

One of my ex batts is the same Linda, she lays a softie every few weeks and she's poorly each time {cry} {hug}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

We were with Scarlet today when she laid her egg and it was a soft shell like the broken one yesterday so im pretty sure that was hers now.
There was also a bit of gunk that came out at the same time so no wonder she felt rough poor love {hug}
We will keep a close eye on her and if she goes like it again will give her a lovely spa lbelly bath, like i should probably have done anyway

Miss Ellie we got Scarlet with Blondie just coming into lay in sept so she is only about a year old, Faith is ex-batt and has recently been laying a few softies luckily she has been fine up to now >fi<

At the minute we are having a lot of problems with Sorrel attacking Faith and Sasha her bullying has got much worse since April died cause she wouldnt tolerate over the top violence from her
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Well the turf someone kindly gave me to mop the rain up with has given the girl hours of enjoyment and now looks like some far off allien planet holiday destination :-D

We have had to cut the huge connifer down in thier garden we found it was dying and was rocking in the high winds we had. We have left the twin trunks it had and are going to link it up with perches to the plum tree trunk in the Walk-in-Run. >fi<
They are loving scratching about in the felled tree for bugs and jumping all over it, i cant decide wether they are wanna be commandos or kamikazis you have to see to believe it
Its great for Faith and Sasha to dodge Sorrel when she trys to ambush them {rofwl}
Actually she hasnt been too bad today i did pass on Aunty Aces message, kids always listen to others dont they, so we will see >fi<

Scarlets eggs are back to normal and shes her lovely self again.
Faiths eggs are ok again the shells are quite thin and they are shaped like a long oval torpedo but thats normal for her and they are smashing litle eggs.
Sasha is getting much frendlier and is becoming very vocal round us, she has a lovely quiet voice, and dosent panic now when we try to touch her.
So a lovely couple of days with the girls despite the awful weather, things are good and we are all happy :-D
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

im glad you are all okay linda ,the lasses will have a great time rooting out all the bugs in those trunks )t' {hug}

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Things have settled down again now and Sorrel isnt trying to kill Faith and Sasha, she is still bossy with them but not really nasty like she was getting.
I think you were right Ace about the changes with loosing April and Hope so close together, the girls all have to deal with it in thier own way )t'

We are still getting some soft or thin shells from Faith and have been mixing garlic powder and limestone flour with a little olive oil and coating salad veggies with it. The girls wont touch pellet mash so its the only way to get it down them now.

The apple and pear blossom is falling and they love to play with it, i love to watch them chucking it up in the air and chasing it around, such simple things give them hours of pleasure bless them {hug}

The person who gave me the turf has given me some very heavy duty galvanised mesh and there is enough to do the whole front of the run. Lucky me :-D so we can crack on sooner than we thought now. The money we have saved will get the roof sheets so great stuff so the girls will definately be dry this winter
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx