Bed, Breakfast and Evening Mealworms

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Re: Bed, Breakfast and Evening Mealworms

Post by aishakali »

Glad things are settling in your flock Linda, it makes you feel so much happier when the girls are happy :-D Re: soft and thin shelled eggs, I've tried everything to try and stop them, Calcivet, Egg shell improver, Limestone, codliver oil, alone and mixed, nothing has worked :? Now I'm adding the improver as a matter of course and hoping they pass the softies ok. Hope something works for your girls.
Great that you will be getting a roof for the girls!! It will be worth it's weight in gold!! )t'
LYN

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Thanks Lyn typically i forgot to pick the eggshell improver up last time >dum< Ihave had it before and its only cheap my girls have mash so do you think i should just mix it in dry to the mash.
Luckily Faith has been fine up to now so >fi< she continues that way some poor girls really suffer and im glad your girl is ok and also Miss Ellies too.
When you think of it they are like the females of every species and are all individual, oh the joys of being a woman hey :-D

Its been wormfest here today the conifer we cut down has given the girls endless hours of scratching for goodies, and today i lifted the branches off the floor and the worms were like snakes yike*

Blondie grabbed one and belted round the chook garden with it hanging from her beak, it was so big im suprised it didnt trip her up.
Anyhow she managed to swallow it on the run and without choking herself in the process, honestly they were like kids in a bun shop we were in hysterics most of the time.
Well i was when i wasnt frozen in shock, im scared to death of worms, stupid as i know they cant hurt me.
If anyone had said a year ago that i would do my best to find them for my girls i would have said they were mad, but it just goes to show how these girls wrap us round thier beaks dosnt it {hug}

Iwill have to get my finger out and put the last catch up on when we went to our lovely Aces house for ourl ast girls, soon i promise
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Hi Linda, my girls have ex batt crumb and I mix the improver in that if they aren't having a wet mash. Have you found it's helped in the past? Can't see any difference with my girls, just natural decline I think :?
LYN
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

I got it for these girls about 2wks after they ist came home in oct as a precaution really they have been off it for longer than Faith has been laying soft shells
To be honest Lyn I think the same as you and just hope she keeps well luckily any broken ones have been all there as far as we could tell.

Iknow this might sound a bit daft but we have wondered if they get caught a bit unawarese with the softies sometimes, because all Faiths broken ones have been in her bed like today again and as iv said before all the girls always lay in the big cardboard box.

They do make me laugh although Blondie dosnt sleep in the box any more they all line up and shout like mad if any one else is in it, and they have loads of lovely comfy and more private places to lay :-D
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Linda S wrote:
Iknow this might sound a bit daft but we have wondered if they get caught a bit unawarese with the softies sometimes, because all Faiths broken ones have been in her bed like today again and as iv said before all the girls always lay in the big cardboard box.

Think maybe you are right as I find the softies and broken eggs in the run, on the bench, in the garden as well as the nest box :?
LYN
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Sasha has been off it on friday not eating any mealworms and generally being more timid than lately and we were a bit worried about her.
Anyhow yestrday morning she was a bit better and as we were away for the day we let them in the garden for a few hours and put them in the shed while we went off.

Ifelt bad doing it but i wasnt taking the risk of leaving them out as my daughter would also be out most of the day.
Their shed is large with different levels and clear panels in the roof so it is very much like an indoor run, and we scattered mealworms and sunny seeds in the straw and put a cabbage ant corn cobs for them to pick at

I dont know if it had any effect on Sashas improvement but when daughter let them out later she phoned me to ask who was suppossed to be ill as they had all rushed out like lunatics.
We have noticed she gets her head through to our other next doors very overgrown garden.
So we wonder if she had scoffed something that didnt agree with her and being in at night and then most of they day cleared her up as i did notice that just one poop was a bit green and shes back to normal now thank goodness but we are going to mesh up to wher she cant reach to be on the safe side
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Even with the losses, this is such an encouraging thread. I haven't even got my first chickens yet and would like to rescue some former prisoners one day, but knowing that ex-battys have more than their share of problems I didn't want to start my experience with girls I may lose, or it would discourage me completely. But I can learn from you as well as laugh and cry with you.
Life's too short to quarrel
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Your posts are sooo lovely, this could become a book,these batty girls really tug at the heartstrings don't they )t'
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi thanks for taking the time to wade through my saga and your comments, there is still another catch up to put on :-D

Morbidia yes the heartstrings are definatley tugged to breaking point and we now have 6 litte Angels who ended thier days in freedom with us.
Even though we lost them as we did I wouldnt change a minute of it, and though it dosnt seem it at the time off loss, the happiness they bring far outwieghs the sad part

Kuikentje when and if you feel the time is right for you there will be plenty of little battered girls needing a loving forever home, the important thing is to go at your own pace with what suits you )t'
Many laners get ex-batts once they have got thier free born girls and have gained a an understanding of whats involved in having chooks

Ican tell you this though that whatever girls you have they will find a special place in your heart and nestle there very deeply and life willnever be the same again.
I sometimes think people think im a bit daft when i try to explain how much i love my girls and what they mean to me and my hubby. luckily folks on here understand me cause they are just the same :-D

Good luck and im sure you will be a great chicken parent {hug} Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

Linda how have I managed to miss this until now >shrug<

I've just sat and read about your girls and have to confess it made me cry. You tell it so well better than a book, I can't wait for the next chapter.

Thank you for sharing your stories with us {hug}
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

linda you explain your feelings for your girls in your posts and your love for them shines through I love reading your diary xx {hug} {hug}

I have a mesh skirt on the garden linda more for predators really but it does prevent the girls pecking at poisionus things etc and its a good idea I think )t'
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

What is it about fridays and my girls, i think they have had a confab and decided that its the day to throw a sickie first Sasha last wk and Blondie yesterday. >shrug<

We get some pretty big eggs with Sasha and Sorrel not laying every day but on thursday we had the biggest egg we have ever seen, honestly it was around the same size as a goose egg. Ouch !!!!
It was covered in yolk and some white was in the nest box, so good detectives that we are thought maybe one of the girls eggs hadnt formed properly and this monster was the result and pushed the other out.
Anyhow we checked all the girls vents and gave them a once over and all were very healthy and disgruntled at thier gynea exams yike* .
So of course copious amounts of mealworms put us back in favour thank goodness.

Yesterday morning all was fine and Blondie went in the nest box about 3ish and was still there an hour later when she got off the eggs under her were cool and she was very quiet and moving slowly.
Blondie sings all day every day so alarm bells started ringing, she had a poop which was very loose and whitish coloured she ignored mealworms and she wasnt singing, she definately wasnt well.

We brought her in and she was making soft little noises, she had a lovely spa bath in some warm water in which after jumping out twice she relaxed so much she went to sleep.
After snoozing on my knee for a while snuggled in a towelwe put her back with the girls to dry in the sun, she went straight to the mash and ate some, and later had a few mealworms

This morning the Blondie Bombshell was back to her gorgoues vocal best, belting her little tunes out for all and sundry and gobbling worms when hubby moved some paving. )c(
Iv told her not to sing with her beak full but she takes no notice bless her, but after yestrdays scare she can do as she likes {hug&kiss}
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

they keep us occupied linda don't they {hug} talk about on the hop never mind im just glad shes better ,linda this diary should be out there for more to read its lovely really true and earthy I can hear her singing and see the spa bath and cuddle afterward it should be read out on the radio really )t' I love it I leap on it like a hawk when I see a post
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Thanks Ace, I just so love the little critters {hug}
I always just put what they do and i think thats why all our diaries are so great and readable, i love to see what everyones girls and boys are up to, and the idea for it was a stroke of genius from Richard :-D
With chooks they are so entertaining and endearing just going about the business of enjoying thier lives its not a chore is it :-D Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Quite agree Linda. I love reading your diary too. Glad Blondie is ok :-D She sounds just like my Sweetie, I know she's not well if she's not trilling {hug}
LYN