Bed, Breakfast and Evening Mealworms

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Re: Bed, Breakfast and Evening Mealworms

Post by Linda S »

We have finally got most of the mesh on the front of the run, its taking some time as we are doing it bit by bit, and most of it will be recycled stuff. )c(
I was getting new mesh but someone kindly gave us some, it needed straightening out but its really strong stuff, will still need to buy some later cause we plan to secure the back and sides of the shed too.
So far we have bought wood preserve, staples, some screws and nails and we had some and we need to get a couple of long timbers for the roof and of course the plastic sheets before winter so the girlies will be snuggly :-D

I think its great we are able to have a lovely big part recycled run cause most of our lovely girls have been the ultimate recycling sucsess our ex- batty birds {hug} and iv no doubt we will have more.

Anyhow we've had a lovely day with the girls and me supervising the building project, while reclining gracefully under the dappled shade of the apple tree, or in the warmth like the sun goddesses they are.
Oh i mean the girls not me i made do with a chair i dont do gracefull.

Later on Sasha was doing what she does best when i heard hubby say "what you doing there Sasha opencasting(mining coal) or what" and he wondered why i nearly fell off my chair laughing {rofwl}

Blondie is very well today, we noticed yesterday that although she was better she did take a few more naps than usual, prob being poorly knocked the stuffing out of her.
I weighed that huge egg and it is 4oz and dosent fit in any egg container. Its the lengh and width thats eye watering like us giving birth to a 15lb baby yike*, I tell you id need a fortnights kip if i was our Blondie Bombeshell
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you

tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

Glad Blondie is better today {hug} brings tears to your eyes thinking about it.

Bunny (the kids named them!) dug a hole so deep I lost my left leg down it. {rofwl}

Maybe I'm not giving them enough treats and I should take this as a warning!
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Well feel fowl friday passed this week with no poorly girls thank goodness. )c(
The huge egg which caused Blondie to be unwell and walk bow legged for a couple of days was a lovely double yolk. It made a very tasty mushroom omelette, but hopefully it wont happen again to my poor lovely girl.

The girls are enjoying the good weather, but its been so hot a couple of times that the poor girls went to bed a bit earlier than usual.
I think it tierd them out all the dust bathing and the sunbathing. They have plenty of shade under the trees but they made the most of the sun when it arrived and probably over did the sun goddess act a bit
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
morbidia
Lively Laner

Post by morbidia »

Poor Blondie now wonder she was bowlegged after that, glad you are getting the sun too its been scorching here all week,any holidaymakers who picked this week to visit Devon must be pleased with themselves :-D My girls have been loving it and have excavated several large holes around the garden to dust bath in :-D
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Golly Linda Scarlet,Sascha and Blondie have been keeping you on your toes! Glad to hear Sorrel has calmed down a bit now. I have also had 3 girls throwing sickies and everyday a softie but from non ex batties! Thank goodness all is calm for now
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Good to hear that Friday passed happily for your girls. I'm loving the recycled materials run - makes me happy to think stuff is being re-used for such a purpose, and under the supervision of the sun goddesses too. My chickens suggested that both doors to their run should open outwards and being an idiot I listened to them. Avalanche of chickens now every time I open a door. Treat your ladies suggestions with caution!
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Gosh i havn't updated for ages anyhow here goes.
The sun goddesses are qiute enjoying this weather and spend the hottest parts of the day under the canopy of trees. :-D
They have two apples a pear a rose and a holly tree which this year have all grown to touch each other creating a lovey area of complete cool shade or dappled sun.
The girls love it under there, even when its not red hot they congregate for thier afternoon siesta under the holly.
We have kept it quite low but wide to give the best shelter for winter when the others are bare, prunning trees for the hens benifit now, we're definately under the beak(thumb) {rofwl}

We have found that Sorrel seems to be fine for a while and the she will be really nasty to Sasha and Faith for a couple of days and then return to the normal bossy but mainly acceptable behaviour. Wonder if it could be hormones, you never know its possible i suppose.
The squeezy bottle of water has taken up residence in the shed and comes out if she is being particularly obnoxios.
Its really comical because when we call her and she sees the bottle we often dont have to fire it at her cause she assumes this angelic demeaner as if to say "I wasnt going to savage anyone honestly" {rofwl}

Sasha and Faith are very wary of her and if they see her coming towards them most of the time they will scoot off.
Its lovely to see Sashas confidence growing, and although bottom hen she dosn't run from Scarlet, and they are often found eating very close together.
Sasha also goes round singing and chattering all day but very much quieter thn our Blondie Bombshell, in fact all the girls have become very chatty over the last few weeks.
They are all such lovely girls and very much individuals with very different personalities, and Sasha, Sorrel and Faith have now been free for 9 months on the 20th july )c(

Faith is having quite a few problems with her eggs, we get soft shells, no shells, membrane and often there is what looks like egg white on its own.
We feed the improver or limestone flour and also they have olive oil as thier salad dressing sometimes, and iv read cod liver oil is good for them.
I think she is having her henapause she has only been poorly once but i hope she will stop laying soon.
It was awful to see her that day so down and walking like she had been kicked by a horse. Actually she let me pick her up and sat on my knee for 3minutes while i gently stroked her tummy for a couple of times and thats not our Faith at all.
Faith so little and delicate and still a bit tatty looking and has laid every day until recently, sometimes now she lays the egg white stuff and then an egg follows in the same day.
So im hoping for an end to her problems soon and then she can get on with enjoying her retirement >fi<
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

The run is coming on slowly at the minute as hubby hasn't been to well and iv had a lot of hospital appointments so iv packed him off fishing quite a bit lately. Hes up very early on a morning anyway so sometimes he goes abot 5ish and comes home at dinnertime.

We had a lovely compliment last week regarding the girls eggs from hubbys fishing pals wife, she hardly ever ate their own eggs but eats some of ours every time she says they taste better than theirs.
Her hubby said thats what being on grass did for them, my hubby explained that they had decimated the grass and the turf. He said it probably came from the mealworms and greens etc and also that they are very happy girls, i dont know but i was very proud of the compliment on behalf of my lovlies. :-D

Hubbies pal sadly had to give his girls away because he is a very poorly elderly man he ended up in hospital again and couldn't cope looking after them.
He used to give me some eggs when he had some spare and i like to sent him some every week, i know he really misses his girls and his fresh eggs.
They were both very overcome by this and the apples and rhubarb we sent i couldn't understand why until she told hubby that we are the first people to give them anything.
We've only known them about 3yrs and he can only fish now with a companion they are so nice and have given others so much, the bloke who took the hens a few months ago hasnt sent them any eggs.
Tbh i thinkits a blaady cheek as he got them all free and the customers who buy the eggs i would have thought he'd have the decency to sent some every so often. I just think he's thoughtless considering what hes gained out of Js dillema(sorry rant over)

Anyhow back to the run thanks for the door opening inwards suggestion BM, hubby now has his orders to do that )t' .We had a smashig tall wooden gate given and with a bit of alteration and a few coats of wood stain its a great fit.
Once thats on hes staining the rest of the run wood again and then its the cementing the floor in place, which is a sellection of broken flags and a concrete coal bunker, or as hubby says its crazy paving for the girls
They will be the first 10ft or so and the back 3ft under the trees will be left as soil and compost forthe girls to scratch in, part of it will also have some sand mixed in. We will cement some flags on thier edge to keep the soil out of the rest of the run,, well thast the plan anyway :-D Anyway i'll end this essay and will have to remember to post regularly thank for reading my wafflings :-D Lindax
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

love to Tommy glad he is enjoying his fishing ,poor little girl having problems with their eggs I don't think this weather is helping them is it ,lovley post linda xx

{hug}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

I was sat in the girls shed with the double doors open which we always do to let fressh air into it and it was lovely and relaxing and so cool.
Im suprised the girls dont go in here during the day,i suppose they see it just as bed/dinning room, unless we're in there of course and then they cluster round the treat cupboard the greedy girls :-D

It was lovely watching them dust/sun bathing before it got to hot to be in the open and they retired under the trees
My neighbour and I were chatting and Blondie was warbling away and throwing muck all over and she remarked that it was like she was singing in the bath but more in tune than her hubby {rofwl}

All the girls laid yesterday but Faiths was very thin shelled and the top and the two ends were different colours to the rest of it and soft.
Also there has been some of the fluid even when theres an entire egg, but she is fit and well in herself.

Hubby is on a mission to provide something shallow for the girls to have a paddle in and cool of in if they want too. I think if i suggested tying knots in hankies to make them sun hats he'd probably say agree {rofwl}
I said they are hens not ducks and they might ignore it but if it keeps him amused and out from under my feet then who am i to wee on his bonfire {rofwl}
Sasha and Blondie were so hot yesterday that they were holding thier wings away from thier bodies and panting.
Sasha actually kept sticking her beak into the water but not always drinking we think our clever girl was cooling herself down.
Iv got a melon cooling in the fridge they've never had it before so it coild be interesting knowing our girls!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Linda your girls are going to LOVE melon. Mine like most types but water melon is their fav, they took an hour to eat the half of a large one. Really glad to hear Faith is doing well, soft eggs, thin shelled and different colours on the end plus the runny substance is all happening with mine and nextdoors girls at the moment so dont worry too much. I was interested your girls eggs have better yolks because they eat grass. My girls can no longer free range due to so many resident foxes, they have all had a taste except of course the ex batties but now they never get to nibble on it. Sorrel reminds me of my old cat with your squeezy bottle, when she heard an aerosol can she was gone. Dhe didnt realise it was hairspray and not flea spray {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Well it seems like at last our little Faith might be coming to the end of her hennapause thang God for that.
Since i last updated she has suffered quite a bit has the poor love, with being very quiet and miserable and generally not right.
Most days now she dosent lay and sometimes she still passes the egg white stuff but she is much better on herself and doing her best Pat Butcher shout at everyone and avoiding a stroke or cuddle as usual :-D
When she was ill one day we gave her a lovely warm belly bath and she made lovely gentle noises and dropped to sleep on my knee afterwards yike* so she really wasnt well.
I said to hubby that she can be as antisocial regarding petting by us as she wants if it means shes back to her normal healthy self
This might sound stange too but ever since she came home from the cages last oct she has always been tatty, but now she seems to be blossoming and even getting soft little tufts on her tummy and face
We think that the energy that went into her eggs is now at last doing her little body more good

All the other girls are very happy and now healthy again after Scarlets softee and couple of off days last week
They havnt been very amused when hubby loked them out of the run while he concreted it, they patrolled up and down making the loudest racket ever.
When they heard me come down into thier garden they ran to me and 4 were sqwaking and shouting over each other trying to tell me that Dad had locked them out. {rofwl}
Sasha just told me the tale in her lovely gentle voice as usual, shes such a lady and a gorgeous girl, and to think when she first came home we thought freedom had overwhelmed her and thought we might loose her before she could enjoy life.

I have Aprils catch up to put on of when the last girls came home i will have to get my finger out and put it on i just keep forgetting
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Well between the rain and thunderstorms, hubby has managed to get most of the concreting in the run done at last, theres just little bits to do now.
We need to put a barrier of bricks or logs or something similar to stop the sand and soil from thier scratching area round the trees mixing in with whatever suface covers the crazy paving. :-D

Good news regarding Faith is that she hasnt laid anything for nearly a week now so >fi< thats the end of her laying days and hopefully her pipes have packed up for good.
As i mentioned in my last post about her feathers growing where she has had none, well its definately happening and she is transforming daily, her face tummy and shoulders are all covering over now :-D
Even hubby said today that he had to look twice and nearly took her for Blondie as she is a beautiful golden colour now.
Another thing that has happened is that Faith has started sleeping in with the other girls which at one time was unthinkable, as she liked to sleep alone.
Faith even resented the odd time one of the others had the cheek to get in bed with her, she wasnt happy at all.
Our girl is taking her own time to decide how she wants to live her life and seems happier and more contented than she has ever been, Faith and Sasha and Sorrel have now been free for 10.5 months )c(

We have some great news too and are really excited because we are expecting a happy event in the very near future.

Ace is entrusting Frankii Whippers beautiful babies to us and we are so pleased and honoured because we know how much Ace thinks of all her chooks, so thanks Ace {hug&kiss}
We will be seeing Ace again very soon when we go to pick our bambinos up, it will be smashing to meet up again with Ace and her lovely Mum as our 3 girls came from Aces rescue last october.
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

wait til you see em linda they are a lovely little set >fi< all hens if not ill sort it as we said what will I do without them {cry} {cry} im so glad theyre coming to live with you linda I couldn't have wished for a better home xxxxx thank you
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Last night i posted about Faiths sleeping arrangments and not laying for a week only for her to prove me wrong this morning :-D
Last night she slept alone in her cupboard and she had laid a softee which was broken in there too, the good news is that she is very well on herself but we will kept an eye on her as usual.

Also one of the girls had laid where they sleep which is very unusual as they normally lay in the carboard box or now they sometimes lay in the single cupboard.
The only eggs we have found in thier bed before have been broken or softees but this was normal and quite large
We did have a really loud thunderstorm last night and also the day before so dont if that might affect them

They have had a good day digging for worms between the pelting rain, but actually got under cover today so at least they dont resemble soggy feather dusters for once {rofwl}
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx