Bed, Breakfast and Evening Mealworms

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Bed, Breakfast and Evening Mealworms

Post by sandy »

Such good news about Faith )t' You know it sounds like you have gremlins, the big girls all Gizmo like and the little ones the naughty ones {rofwl} Can we have a photo of your cat litter thingy please +f+
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Great news that Faith is getting better Linda. Hope you will keep us updated on your baby Bantys )t' My chix also fill up on their crumb before bed, even after their supper. It's like they are filling every little crevice in their crops, not daft are they :-D
LYN
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

I dont know where my head has been lately but it was only today when i was going to the feed shop for the horse feed and some more growers pellets that i realised the the banty babes are about ready for going onto layers. Im going to have to check up and see exactly how old they are >dum< .
My babies are growing up very quickly in wks but are still like young tearaways in their heads bless them :-D

So we got them some fancy pants feed pellets, then they can all have mash or pellets or probably both in the case of our greedy girls.
They have got lovely pink combs and Sweeties tail dosn't look quite as boyish but that might be cause she has lost alot of it moulting.
Has anyone any idea roundabout what age they might start laying, we were wondering if they might wait now till after the winter.
Theres no rush as far as we are concerned and if its spring when they do start they will be well grown strong young ladies :-D

Just checked up and Sweetie and Francine are 16.5 wks and Leyla is 14wks so quite a while before they start laying i would think.

Also forgot to say we had a very thin papery shelled soft egg today, the inside had been eaten by the gannets and we arnt sure who laid it.
A few days ago we got one that looked like a screwed up brown paper bag, we're getting some strange stuff lately so i think the ex-batty girls are winding down in the laying dept, just hope Sasha and Sorrel dont have as many problems as our poor little Faith is having

Its Sasha, Sorrel and Faiths 1yr hennaversary on sunday so we are particlarly pleased that Faith is getting better. )c(
It would have been lovely for our gorgeous brave little Hope to have made it, but she gave us 6mths of love and pleasure :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

My Dutch Bantams started laying at around 24 weeks - there is one yet to start and she's just coming up to 26 weeks, there are 4 weeks between the youngest and the oldest.
Life's too short to quarrel
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Cant help with your question :oops: But so pleased Faith is getting better )t' I have had a few of those brown paper bags screwed up eggs too, they are weird but the girls love them if I find one in their bedroom
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Well the girls all celebrated Sasha , Sorrel and Faiths 1st yr of freedom with lots of sunbathing, mealworms and sunflower seeds and for tea scrambled egg and one of thier favourite things chopped tinned tomatoes. :-D
Its been a lovely sunny day and the girls garden has dried up a bit and so the sun goddesses did what they do best and made every ray of sunshine count.
We always have a giggle when the girls stretch because have you noticed that the leg and the wing on the same side always stretch out its as if they are connected together, and it looks so comical :-D

The girls have had so many mealworms just lately with Faith being poorly that im suprised they arn't sick of the sight of them, but no the big girls just keep shoveling them in.
They are right little madams too because if hubby scatters the sunny seeds first they wont eat any until he has thrown the mealies, when the mealies come first its every beak to the banquet. Sometimes he does it on purpose and they shout at him but they soon forgive him, they really love their Dad
In fact i dont know how id go on if he didn't love the girls as he does, to say they were supposed to be for me with my bad health he does more for them than me he's a Godsend {hug&kiss}
They used to be on an egg producing production line, and now they look like they are on a mealworm scoffing line, they are such greedy gorgeous girls {rofwl}

Im very pleased to say that Faith is getting better with each passing day,. and we are so thrilled to get our gorgeous girls to their special day, none of our other beauties managed it. Well our Peggy did with her first Mum and had about 3 months with us {hug}
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Belated happy anniversary girls >ck< Well done to little Faith especially {hug} I love it when muggles see hens sunbathing, I have had quite a few comments, that chicken is dead, that chicken has fallen over, usually started off my an OMG {rofwl}

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Over the last few days hubby has said that he has heard what he thought could have been a cockeral-doodle-doo shout yike*

I havn't heard it yet but another thing is that Francine has started to go for hubby and try to peck him and also going for the other two littlies alot

Also since moulting her tail is huge and it seems to have all come in the last couple of days, i used to say it looked like it was styled in a bob because it curled under her bum.
Now it has grown up and out and flows and she seems pointy iynwim >shrug<
Everytime i have seen her over the last few days she has either been sheltering from the rain or roosting so I hadn't noticed how her tail has grown, today i couldn't get over the change in her to say i was gobsmacked is not going over the top

I really hope shes not a he, and her brother tommy nutkin was obviously a boy ages ago when we got them from Ace
The thing is that he also changed litterally in about 3 days just before we went to collect them and thats the bit thats nattering me now

So the one that i was nearly sure is a girl is the one now looking very suspect, even her face has changed i hope its just her growing up >fi<

All the other girls are fine but very bedraggled as its been pouring down most of the day, they had a good tea of chick peas and chopped tomatoes to cheer them up.
It was funny watching the babbies with the chick peas, they picked them up and then sort of spat them out and then pounced on them again and scoffed them
They are so funny and although they scream like banshees if you pick them up and are totally skitty and crackers we love them to bits and just hope and pray they are all girls {hug}

Sorry this is a bit of a miserable post but I was feeling quite positive and now i feel very downbeat and not at all confident about the babies specially the oldest two but >fi< Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw Linda I am sure Ace will sort you out if Francine is Franky. If she/he has to go I am sure it wont be far and will be to a good home

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Yes we definately do have a roo {cry} , not sure yet which one it is as we cant see into the run for the fruit trees, and they havnt done it while we have been in the girls garden.

Anyhow not heard it yet today but yesterday morning my daughter was in bed with her very thick curtains and double glazed windows closed and she heard it loud and clear as a bell yike*

I know Ace will find good homes for them and that was agreed before we brought them home as we cant have boys, but we will miss whoever it is when we get pets its for life as far as we are concerned.

We've been through this before with our last 3 banty babbies all turning out to be boys and its upsetting as you get attached to them.
I wont go through this a third time i jst hope not all these 3 are boys that would just be too cruel and im so down about it at the minute, it probably seems daft to some people but sorry thats just how i am >shrug<

Hubby says as far as hes concerned he's always said hes happy to just have our beatiful big girls and rehome more as and when we have room {hug} Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I know what you mean about a lifetime home {hug} but at least any boys wont end up in a can

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi Sandy just got a e-mail back from Ace and of course theres no problem for the little man to go back over to her, its such a releif that i know he wll go to another loving home {hug}

At dinnertime i gave the girls some sweetcorn and was a bit worried about Faith, i have read on here about how the girls seem to slow down and age and that seemed to be what was happening to her.
Before she was poorly she was always straight in for treats and very gobby and shouty.
Today she just walked slowly and she did eat some but moved if the others came to near, bless her she is so light we thought she might be scared of being knocked and barged about in her weakend state {hug}

The good news is that by tea time she was much livlier and quickly got her share of the meaworms, maybe she had rested and had a burst of energy, i dont know
We have accepted the fact that her recent ill health has taken its toll on her little body and we are enjoying evey day we have with her for however long that is.
With these lovely girls every day is a bonus, so >fi< she builds back up we will do everything we can to help her

All the other girls are fine and enjoying splashing about in the copious amount of rain we are getting.
As soo as we get long enough to do it we are putting a covering over the mesh roof on the run so hoping for a bit of dry weather :-D Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Linda

Poor Faith sounds like she's still building her strength back up. It's funny how they seem to age right before your eyes isn't it? I noticed Nugget was hanging back and not wanting to eat when the others were around too, maybe they can't cope with the tussling. She'd wait till they were out of the way and then finish off what was left - most unlike Nugget! I hope faith stays okay. Has she finished her medicine now?

And as for your baby boy - thank goodness you know he's got a good home to go back to. The poor little boys, it's such a pity they mostly can't stay. I'd love to have a boy but I think my neighbours and the girls wouldn't be too fond.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

They certainly let us know we have them don't they :? Don't be too sad about your little Roo Linda, you know Ace won't let him go to any but the best home )t' You have just been unlucky with your babies being little boys and you can't help falling in love with them {hug}
I agree that pets are a whole of lifetime commitment!!
Hope you are feeling better x
LYN
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Well ladies thanks for your support over my beautiful boy but im afraid i need it in triplicate, yes thats right all THREE are boys and we are so dissapointed. >dowhat<
We cant believe our bad luck after the last time, but yesterday first of all Layla/Layton stood up tall and proud and excercised his voice box, and straightaway followed by Francine/Franco who we knew was definately a roo anyway from the day before.
Then although we couln't see Sweetie/Artie(ficial sweetness) we heard another cockadoodle-doo and it wasn't the other lads as we could see them clearly yike*

I phoned Ace and bless her for the first time ever she was speechless and shocked, and she couldn't stop saying how sorry she is , but like i said its not he fault at all. {hug}
Anyhow the good news is that I spoke to Big AL and we are taking them over to him in the next few days, he has banties and hes put our minds at rest about our boys and they have a good looking future )c(
Of course i will keep you up to date regarding the boys, and am looking forward to seeing Als birds including his emus

All our big girls are fine and Faith abnd her sisters are enjoying the afternoon sunshine after a morning full of black clouds and rain.
They will probably complain if we close them in the run but thats what we will do when the weather is too bad.
Although they have plenty of shelter the silly girls take great delight in getting wet through and resemblig soggy feather dusters, but they still look extremely cute and Blondie and Sasha sing just as tunefully

Although Ace has said she can get me some more girls we have decided to wait now until the rehomes in spring as i mentioned my bad health is ongoing and my hubby isn't too good either and it wouldn't be fair to put any more onto him
Also the main deciding factor is Faith, she is settled with her sisters and although much better now we don't want to cause any stress or upset to her, and when the babbies came they were so unsettled but she was well then.
Faith has her place in the girls and they all live happily and although she isn't as gobby and outgoing as she was, she is happy and her sisters dont pick on her or anything nasty.
We would never forgive ourselves if she lived the rest of her time unhappy and scared, even though at times she has been evil to Sasha and Hope we dont want to chance it.
By the time spring comes around she will either be much more prepared for new arrivals or God forbid something else, but we will decide what to do then and are keeping our lovely girls happy as they are for now :-D Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx