Bed, Breakfast and Evening Mealworms

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Re: Bed, Breakfast and Evening Mealworms

Post by aishakali »

They do keep you guessing Linda. I thought my Tatty Sal had stopped laying a while ago and I was so pleased, but no, the little minx still lays one most days which she keeps to herself and has for breakfast :? Oh well, at least its not going to waste (very thin shelled) :-D
LYN

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Linda, as far as I'm concerned the more Sweeties the better :-D My Sweetie will be honoured to have a little one with her name {hug}
LYN
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So nice to hear good news, I am wondering how does Faith keep her over sized dangly earrings in her ears? I am not at all surprised the girls were not happy with their home make over, they really do get very possessive of 'their things'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Linda where are the pics of your new babies???????? Please don't keep us in suspenders any longer :-D
LYN
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

aishakali wrote:Linda where are the pics of your new babies???????? Please don't keep us in suspenders any longer :-D

Yep come on I am compiling videos so we WANT PICS
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi Sandy and Lyn sorry no photos yet, i promise i bought a camera and even took it to Aces cause her Mum has the same one and thought it would be easier if shown how to work it )t'.
Well you know what thought did and im still confused, and of course i hadnt realised that it needed a memory card too, it took one pic and that was it >dum< .
A soon as i can i will get one and then try and figure out how to get them on here. Honestly and no excuses here im not at all well my blood pressure is way high and my meds for it increased again yesterday, and my lovely little cat Rosie was killed.

As for the chicks they are growing fast, two came from Aces one from her friend but they are all from Frankii and his girls.
They are gorgeous but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and its a potentially a big one iv got everything crossed that they are all girls and in the last couple of days im not 100% sure they all are.

Sweetie the beautiful cream one with brown,gold and black markings is sprouting the most fantastic long tail feathers some of them really dark green that glow in the sun.
Also Leyla is 2 wks younger but her tail is coming on fast to, she is terrified of the two bigger ones and although she sleeps with them she will not come down when they are let out. We put her in the ark with them but for her own saftey we have to put her in the small run beside them for some of the day or she awould be in the dark all day. We have got all the roof beams on the run but the rain has stopped play as once the mesh is on there they can go in and there will be loads of space and entertainment for them.

The litte one is about the same size as a collered dove and my cats were showing an interest in her which is natural behavior to them but its not an option to let the babies out without a roof on till they have grown enough to be in no danger. My cats btw never bother the big girls they go in run with us the boys arnt as brave as Rosie was Spike tends to recline out of thier reach.

Rosie used to lay and sunbathe amid 5 very happy and contented girls who used to flick her with muck and im sure tried to encourage her to dustbathe with them and iv no photos {cry} they would have been so lovely.

When Leyla sees us she chirrups and sings, we call her our little canary she sounds like a wild bird or an avery bird and id defy anyone who dosent know hens to tell she was a chicken without seeing her.
To be honest Francine, named after her daddys alter ego is the only one who has carried on just getting bigger and her tail is very different to Sweeties.

The good news is that Ace will take them back and home them but the bad news is we will be without our beautiful babes and that would be very upsetting.
Remember the tail of our other banty babes all three turned out to be boys, I think thats in the back of my mind.

Anyhow enough of my doom and gloom attitude, some banty hens do have lovely tails so we arnt to downhearted at the minute, they are 11wks and 9wks now so we will wait and see, and enjoy them and thier baby ways.
Thier brother changed in a matter of days and when we went to bring these last friday he looked markedly different to our three so its >fi< as well as everything else humanely possible {rofwl}
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

The last post was so long iv decided to dedicate this one to how our gorgeos big girls reacted to thier new baby sisters, the short answer is yike* and deafening the long answer follows,

We put the small bunny ark run in the shed with them with plan of the littlies sleeping in with them and then going out into the bigger proper hen ark through the day, mmm that didnt last long though.

The big girls made a real racket which we thought was quite reasonable as thier domain had been invaded by these funny looking things that they didnt like the look of, they were very disgruntled and didnt we know it.

We expected a bit of fuss next day you know as you do when you upset the apple cart, we didnt expect the all out rioting that we got.
Im not kidding when I say that some of the noises wouldnt have been out of place in one of those very scarey horror films, the worst two being Blondie and our sweet Sasha, Faith excelled with her even louder Pat Butcher/Foghorn Leghorn dulcet tones.
The quietest one was top girl Scarlet who basically inspected the tresspassers at great length and no doubt let them no who was boss by her laid back inspection, I coulnt help thinking our April would be very proud of her trainee.
Sorrel stalked about throwing disgusted looks at them and muttering something inaudible at them, it was probably something like "Ah you might be safe in there but i'll be here when you get out" knowing her. I just hope she in her Serene Sorrel mood and not her Savage Sorrel mood when that comes to pass yike*

Things were so bad that we thought the best course of action was to put the babbies into the bigger safe ark all the time, and so remove the offending ark from the big girls domain.
Practically sraightaway the noise dropped significantly thank goodness, we really did expect some complaints because they also wound all the nearby dogs up too.
I did actually comment that something was winding all the pets up and i wondered what it could be, as i didnt possibly know .ang.

So we put the babbies in the ark in the big run and shut the gate, they could all see each other through the mesh and the big girls seemed alot calmer
On sunday we were greeted as usual by Blondies singing or should i say croaking, the poor love had actually lost her voice, she sounded so strange more like Johnny Cash than her usual sweet trills {rofwl}

Thing have settled down and we open the gate and the big girls go in and scratch about and sometimes they will have the odd peck at the mesh on the arks, but at least they arnt throwing themselves at it now in an all out attempt to rid themselves of the invaders like before.
Also we have had a couple of softees this wk, but that could just be a coincidence as you know Faith is going longer between laying and then will sometmes lay a couple of wierd and wonderful offerings.
Im not saying to much cause last time i did she was ill and we were very scared we would lose her
So apart from the little one being absolutely terrified of being with her sisters in the cnfined space of the ark, everthing else seems to be going smoothly again.

Thanks for reading my continuing essays and will keep you posted

And yes Lyn and Sandy i will!!!!!!!!!!!! sort a memory card out and do some pics as soon as i can {hug&kiss} Lindaxxxxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Linda, I know we are impatient for pics :? So sorry you're blood pressure is giving you problems ( me too) hope you get it sorted soon. We just want to see pics to cheer us up.
Hope your babes turn out to be girls. My Rosie is unwell, think its Ascites but just going to see how it goes. Modern technology is great if you understand it >dum<
LYN
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

glad to hear the big girls welcomed their little ones to the coop with such vocality lol keep me posted linda you know where I am ,I might be a bit quiet on the forum as you know but im still here :)
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Linda so sorry about your little Rosie {hug} We do not need photos, just get your blood pressure sorted, besides your descriptions are so good it is like reading a book when you visualise the characters. I do hope they will grow up to be girlies but at least they will have their 'Granny Ace' to sort out if they arent.

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Thanks Lyn and Sandie and i hope you're BPs ok lyn {hug}
Hi Ace good to see you lurking around {hug}

Happy Ist Hennaversary Scarlet and Blondie

Its one year ago today that we brought our Blondie and Scarlet home ,they were 20/21 weeks old.
Blondie was laying from the first day but Scarlet took a week or so to get into the laying game properly, and she had a little hiccup around bonfire night.
I mentioned on here at the time and Manda said that some hens are affected by the fireworks etc, anyhow Mandas advice was right as usual and Scarlet was right as rain as soon as things calmed down )t'

The babies are growing fast and they are very talkative and all three call and chirrup really loud as soon as they hear us.
Leyla still wont come down into the run with her sisters but we leave her for a while to try to encourage her too.
We then have to put her into the bunny ark or she wont get food and water, we did put some in the top of the ark but being semi dark she didnt eat, and she cant go too long without.

With the weather being bad Leylas run is in the big girls shed, and only a few disgusted shouts were heard from the big girls, mainly Sasha and Sorrel.
The funny thing is that as it gets near bedtime she runs about along the run sides crying pitifully and calls out to go to bed with her sisters, and they all sleep peacefully together

Faith is getting more beautiful day by day, even i had to look twice to make sure it was her today.
Its only taken her neary 11months to look decent but its a pity her voice dosn't match her looks now {rofwl}

Sorrel has been very vocal lately, she always gobs off when she wants to lay and someone else is in the box, so this might just be because of the little ones.
Its quite comical really because she sticks her head in the air, pulls herself up as tall as she can and then she shouts and it sounds like caw caw caw but about 20 times, then she struts off muttering and then will do it again a couple of times

Its interesting watching Sashas behaviour around the babies, shes bottom hen so i think she making sure shes laying the law down to them, that shes above them now.
Sashas voice is usually so soft and sweet and she too sings all day, I call her and Blondie The Chiiky Girls and they sound far better than a very similar named duo.
We have therefore been suprised to say the leastat some of the sounds coming out of her beak {rofwl}
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw bless Sascha, they get so excited, and oh so superior when they realise they are going to lose their bottom spot {rofwl}

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

They little ones had some time out of thier arks in the big run this evening, we sat with them and they tootled about chirping and Leyla sang her lovely songs as usual.
I think im very lucky to have 3 singers in my flock :-D

Leyla didn't panic when Sweetie and Francine chased her, but they only did it once each anyway, they were to happy to be exploring.
Sweetie had actually gone to bed earlier than usual but soon came back downstairs, they will have some free supervised playing around every day now till we get the roof on the walk in run.
They both found their way to bed too but i had to put Leyla in as i think she would have stayed up for ages, even the big girls were all tucked up in noddy land before that little madam {hug}

Someone gave us a couple of rolls of turf for the girls to peck at, its not very good but they enjoyed destroying it and it was a generous thought of the chap :-D

I think Scarlet might be starting to moult, i first noticed she looked a bit thin feathered round her neck. Anyhow i powdered her well just to be on the safe side and gave her a good check over and now a few feathers are looking a little bit tatty but not many.
Coming into the autumn does seem a daft time to throw your duvet off dosnt it, anyhow they get plenty of mealies so that should help if she is moulting )t'
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Loving reading all this :-D
Life's too short to quarrel
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I expect Leyla is secretly part owl {rofwl}