Kuikentje's little chickens

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Kuikentje's little chickens

Post by sandy »

I love the fact that you pretended Dot was Sarah, I expect your neighbour was wondering why you were still carrying her around! You def need to sort those gaps out, Mr Foxy is looking at me through the patio door at the moment!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Oh dear, what a week!

Little Dot wasn't herself at all last weekend. She sat on the floor in the coop, wouldn't jump up to roost and was wobbling. Wouldn't eat or drink unless I actually placed something in her beak.
I took her to the vet on Sunday, she was mystified, couldn't really decide (possibly Marek's, but it didn't entirely fit). I had given Dot a belly bath on the Saturday and she'd popped out a softy and I hoped that was it but no, she was no better afterwards.
The lovely Christy from the Lane (I can't remember her username on here) got in touch to ask if I wanted her to come and have a look and have a go at tube-feeding her.
She coaxed Dot to eat some of the mash and suggested that she took Dot home with her - I was due to go abroad for a few days on the Monday, and though my son was house-sitting he had never even looked after the girls for a day, not fair to expect him to nurse a sick one. I didn't accept straight away (I'm like that - never ask for help and rarely accept it - it's a fault of mine) but then I rang her later on and asked if she would have her, after all, if Dot was no better next day. She wasn't. I took her back to the vet on the Monday - a few hours before I was due to fly from Liverpool.
The vet gave Little Dot an antibiotic injection, and a spare one for Christy to give her on Wednesday. I took Dot to Christy's and Christy gave me what I really needed - a hug.

We got back on Thursday. Dot was still with us. In the event I couldn't pick her up till Saturday. In the meantime, Christy was sending me regular updates and videos so I could see how Dot was improving.

It's still a bit of a mystery, maybe it's Marek's, maybe not, but at present Dot is completely recovered and it's all down to Christy's devoted nursing, tube-feeding, giving her drinks every couple of hours, and I believe she saved Dot's life.

It is so good of her to do this for a complete stranger. Dot now appears completely normal. I don't know if she's laid any eggs - none of them seems to be laying much at the moment, but that's probably because I don't know where to find them - I did find five yesterday and one today, I think I may just shut them all into the run for a day tomorrow to see if they do any in the nest-boxes. They are naughty.

All this would have taken longer to write if i'd been doing it day by day, and I think I've got confused over the timeline.
Life's too short to quarrel
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh my goodness you must have been at your wits end! Christy sounds like a godsend. Perhaps it was an infection or might she have had an egg pressing on a nerve? >fi< she stays on the mend.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So glad Dot on the mend )t' You were so lucky to have such a lovely person to help you out
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/