Kuikentje's little chickens

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Re: Kuikentje's little chickens

Post by Kuikentje »

Definitely four laying now, we have had four eggs on several occasions and are just waiting for Alice Thickchick to start. She is just coming up to 26 weeks old and her face is reddening slightly underneath, comb still very small though.

My husband took a piece of (wholemeal) bread out of the freezer today. It was for the girls. His shed is opposite their run and they all scream and coo when he goes past so he feels guilty and gives them a treat. No wonder they all run after him when they are out.
Life's too short to quarrel

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

My girls completely ignore him indoors, think they know he's not a soft touch like me :? He has to shut them in if they are in the run cos if they see me they are straight out again!
LYN
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw poor Alice Thickchick, she is never going to lay if she knows what you are calling her {warn}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Well, she sort of thought about squatting down yesterday when I waved my hand over her - and she didn't run away quite as fast as usual. All that worry about getting them tame and they tame themselves eventually.

She is a bit challenged, though. When I call the others they all come running in a straight line, except Alice, who weaves in and out of plantpots and if the door of the run is standing open, will get herself stuck behind it, looking through, and wondering why she can't get to her sisters a few inches away, and she can't work out that all she has to do is step to one side. If you approach her to try and guide her the right way, she runs off round the other side of the run. She can be most exasperating.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw I do love your Alice, my type of girl, just like me sooooo woolly {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Kuikentje wrote: if the door of the run is standing open, will get herself stuck behind it, looking through, and wondering why she can't get to her sisters a few inches away, and she can't work out that all she has to do is step to one side. If you approach her to try and guide her the right way, she runs off round the other side of the run. She can be most exasperating.

Mine do that. And while you try to show 1 the way in 3 more hop out.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

if the door of the run is standing open, will get herself stuck behind it, looking through, and wondering why she can't get to her sisters a few inches away, and she can't work out that all she has to do is step to one side. If you approach her to try and guide her the right way, she runs off round the other side of the run. She can be most exasperating.

Mine do that ! haha ... dragging their beaks up and down the wire in frustration and ducking up and down trying to find the magic porthole that their Sisters went through.. daft as brushes
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Mine are the same. Usually there's one wandered into the run while the others are out bothering me, and if i give them treats (which I never do of course!) the one in the run - usually Toffee - goes frantic trying to figure out why there's this wire stuff in the way. I have to go all the way in and show them the way out. Interesting though cos they don't have any trouble finding their own way out in the morning when i open the run door for them!

Chickens are the daftest creatures surely.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Well, I think the storm has arrived - nothing unusual yet for North Wales, but I wonder if the girls realise it's going to be worse later. They have been very noisy all day and when I put them in their moveable run to give them a bit of new ground to scratch, they screamed and screamed until I let them out. Then they ran straight back to the fixed run where their coop is.

Very windy out there now and lots of rain, so I'm glad I got all my outdoor stuff done earlier. At least the chickens can pop back into a nice dry coop as soon as they are ready.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Poor girls it sounds like they arn't to keen on the wind up their bloomers Jill and I cant say I blame the demure little ladies {rofwl} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Of course they'd all gone to bed by the time I got home from work. Guess I won't be seeing too much of them for the next couple of months.

3 eggs, though.
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Yay! Alice is finally doing The Squat.

Never mind about the eggs. At last she is going to be easier to catch :-D
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

I think Alice may have laid her first egg. I went to tuck them in tonight and there was a broken one in the nest box; when I picked it up it had a paper-thin shell. I suppose I won't know for sure unless we get five eggs in one day.
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Clever Alice. I don't think she's a thickchick. I think she's a free thinker!
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Bridgets Mum wrote:Clever Alice. I don't think she's a thickchick. I think she's a free thinker!

:-D :-D :-D