Kuikentje's little chickens

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Kuikentje's little chickens

Post by Kuikentje »

Hi there, what a great opportunity to talk about my new girls without boring everybody to death!
I am getting some Dutch Bantams (kuikentje is Dutch for 'little chicken) and maybe a couple of Friesians too to make up the numbers as the lady I'm getting them from hasn't had a lot of hen chicks hatched this year. My husband has built a great coop and is doing the run now, in the meantime I'm stocking up on the paraphernalia - see you in about three weeks! :-D
Life's too short to quarrel

Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Kuikentje's little chickens

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Greetings and welcome to The Lane )wav(
There are some nosey people on here who will shortly be demanding photos )t'
Dom & Ali
Ali Woks My World
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

>shrug< don't know what you mean )grin2(

)piicy( )wav( welcome to the lane
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

Welcome to the lane )wav(

I am one of those nosey people totally scrambled is talking about, don't forget to )piicy(
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi and wellcome from me too, )wav( im also looking forward to reading about and seeing your new girls :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
manda

Post by manda »

Welcome to the Lane...look forward to hearing about your new additions )wav(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
perchy

Post by perchy »

Hello and welcome to the lane )t'
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Good news! My girls are ready for me! I'm not quite ready for them so it will be a last-minute flurry tomorrow, to rig up some kind of a perch (the one thing my husband hasn't done in the coop and he's away for the weekend); I also need to find something to put their grit in, and check their little garden for plants that would hurt them

We are going to make a moveable pen for them. We weren't expecting them for another week or so, but that's ok because I intend to keep them in their 'garden' for the first few days. We have built a run around the coop (which my clever husband has also built). It's in a sheltered spot and has concrete on three sides and a little wall on the fourth, so they should be safe from anything digging under the fence.

LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Have fun getting your girls - they will bring you so much joy and entertainment :-D

Are you putting a roof over the run? Just most chickens will have no problem jumping out x
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

You can give them a perch in the coop of you like. They may well decide to ignore it and sleep in the nest box, so you'll need to do an early morning poo pick (or have mucky eggs).

But they will enjoy perching on top of your coop, and on the fence - ah, I see Lisa spotted that too. You do need to either throw a net or roof over it or raise the fence with another strip of chicken wire. The don't fly high but they do hop on-and-over. I've seen mine jump out over a 4' net.

Have fun, and tell us all about it. Welkom.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

I'm sure I replied to Lisa! Where did it go?

Well, I was up at 6.30 this morning - which is the time I usually get up on workdays - between the excitement of getting the chickens and the worry about them escaping from their garden, I didn't get much sleep last night!

I'm going to treat the inside of the coop and the nest boxes with anti-mite treatment (idea from another forum) as it's a fine, dry morning so things can dry off. Then will hunt around for something to put over the top until we come up with something more permanent. Thanks, both, for pointing out what should have been blindingly obvious! :oops: :oops: :oops:
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

)wav( welcome from me too.
Just to add when you're thinking about a roof, it's worth considering a solid covering rather than mesh to give the girls some shelter and keep the mud levels down - just in case we ever get some rain!! {rofwl}
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

You may want to raise the sides as well, before you add a permanent roof. The chickens are short but you aren't and you don't want to crawl every time you need to let them out, feed, clean and egg hunt.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I can second Mo's point about raising the sides. My run is low too and scrabbling around trying to clean it out is a pain, so if there's anyway way you can make it walk in sized, I would definitely go for that.

Also agree 100% with the solid roof covering. We've got those clear plastic corrugated sheets, expensive but well worth it to stop the girls having stinky mud baths every time it rains.

Enjoy your chickens! Hope they settle into their new home well.

karen
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Well, we'll certainly get rain! One thing about North Wales is it knows how to do weather, and we're 800 feet up so the season is quite short.

Today I got some mesh for the top of the pen - my husband looked at me rather witheringly because he had assumed that I'd be doing that anyway so why even mention it to him? - and when it rains I can pull a tarp over it too.

I haven't stopped since I got up, except for now - a quick snack and then the finishing touches, and roll on tomorrow!