Kuikentje's little chickens

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Re: Kuikentje's little chickens

Post by Kuikentje »

Tonight I let them put themselves to bed. And they did! I think some of them used the perch last night but tonight they are all cuddled up in the same nestbox. I had to count them to make sure they were all there because two of them were almost hidden. No flash, I used a torch.
Life's too short to quarrel

Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Today's new thing was dried mealworms (I must find a cheaper supplier than Countrywide Farmers). I threw in a few to see what they would make of them. They came running over and looked very carefully - eventually, out of courtesy, they tried a little; they finished them off, and that was that, I thought - it is meant to be a treat after all. Then the two little boys from next door came to see them and my husband wanted me to give the chickens a few more mealworms for the boys to see them pecking at them. So I scattered just a few, and they positively fell on them, and they were gone in seconds.
This is a useful tool to have in my kit, I think.

Today they have been sunbathing, I was a bit worried at first because they were almost flat out - only prevented from actually falling over by the fact that they were all leaning on each other, like a house of cards - but no, off they go running round the pen when they've had enough sunshine. There is plenty of shade if they wish it so clearly the sun is their choice today.
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi have you got £ shops near you they are packs of 80grms but by far the best is hOmE bargains 100grms for the same price )t'
20grms doesnt sound much but once they get a taste for the crunchy critters then evey grm counts {rofwl}
They are a very good source of protein and i think every hen counts them as their undoubted right for being such lovely girls(well mine do and of course they're right) :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Your little chickens are gorgeous!

I agree completely about mealworms, I always have to have a couple of packets in and as Linda said, ££ shops and Home & Bargains are the best. Just grab them whenever they have them in stock, as you can't always count on them being in.

They've essential for bribery but I tend to use them mostly whenever my girls are going through a moult, as it gives them a protein boost.

karen
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

I would never even have thought of a £ shop or Home Bargains, thank you.

Must see if my son uses them for fishing.
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

I can't resist another photograph of them all tucked up in bed

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

They are such lovely little hens, do you know if they are they all girls )t' Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Yes, they are. Ivy, Lottie, Sarah, Alice and Dot, named after our, and other people's, mums.
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

This morning I went out at 05.45 to let the chickens out and they were out already! I was shocked to realise that last night I forgot to close the pop-hole :oops: . I cannot believe I made such an elementary error, and it will not happen again - I am too shaken to repeat that mistake, when I realise what might have happened. I don't think we have any foxes round here, but I expect there are rats.

They dived into the feeder as soon as I put it in the run. They had probably been expecting it to be there as soon as they went out, whatever time that was. Another lesson learnt. Anybody can forget something important if they aren't concentrating.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

aww they look so sweet all sleepy & cuddled up together. {hug}
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hello )wav( oh my goodness what adorable girls you have )t' Like you said eggs are a bonus, reading your story eggs or no YES you are a true chicken lover who definetly has chickenitus, looking forward to their contuniung story
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Another first today, pity I missed it. Rain. It has rained for the first time in the 11 days since I've had the girls. I know the little one, Sarah, hadn't even been out of doors till we got her. So definitely a first time for her.

My husband said they were so funny. They all ran round and round the day run, cheeping frantically and flapping their wings and shaking their heads, and he watched them to see how long it would take for the penny to drop that if they went down to the covered end of the run, they could get out of the rain. Eventually they did so and the last time he looked at them they were all together in the cardboard box, under the tarpaulin.

They seem to be okay in slight drizzle and no doubt as they get bigger and stronger they will put up with slightly heavier rain, too, though living where we do they might be better off being ducks.
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

That conjurs up a great picture :-D
LYN
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I love your photo's ... so so cute.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Today was a big day. This was the day I had planned to let them free-range for the first time. As late as this afternoon I wasn't sure I would - it has been unusually windy and cold and squally today, not the weather for standing outside supervising chickens. I had a brainwave this morning. I bought a cat carrier and placed it in the day run. I thought that they might decide to put themselves in there towards evening, and then I could just shut the front and lift them into their home run later, and in any case it will be handy to have.
In the event it wasn't needed. I lifted the day run and let them out (pictures below). They thoroughly enjoyed the outing, with a little too much flapping of wings for my peace of mind. I don't think they know yet that they can fly.

They had a lovely hour or so exploring the top end of the garden, but then I had to go out and I decided to get them into their home run. A few mealworms did the trick. They had already found their way there so would know where to go if there was a panic. That was enough time for my nerves on the first occasion.