karen's chicken diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: karen's chicken diary

Post by KarenE »

Chestnut is still with us, unbelievably. She was pottering about the garden yesterday and even eating mash, mealworms and grapes, but today is very very down and it really is a matter of time, and I suspect very soon. She's purposefully heading for the coop so she wants to stay home.

Tiggs is a bit subdued. Dory Grey can't quite believe her rapid promotion.

My neck is getting better, this weekend is the first time I've felt able to do anything for a fortnight. Kitty, what was the physio you had? I'm never sure which is best - physio, chiropracter or osteopath. I got some neck & shoulder exercises off the net and hubby (he does chair exercises witht he elderly and gavce me some shoulder stretches) which have helped a lot I think. How are you doing now with yours Kitty?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I 've never used a chiropracter & only once an osteopath (didnt rate it much) Been going to this physio for years, she is very eccentric but very good at hitting the spot! Sometimes a physio can "release" something then your exersizes will do the rest.
I hope Chestnut finds a nice patch of sunshine today
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I can't believe bloomin photobucket has whipped all our pictures away. {mr.angry}

So I am posting a few back of all my girls over the years, starting with my 2 first flocks:

Sage:

Rexie:

Weeps:

Cassie:

Nugget:
Image Image

It's been lovely, and poignant, going through all my old photos.

I can recommend Imgbox, it's so much easier & faster than photobucket.
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

My next 2 flocks:

Gabby:
Image Image

Toffee:
Image Image

Ronnie:
Image Image

Rembrandt:
Image Image Image

Casper:
Image Image

Tigger:
Image Image
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Should have been in the last post but can't edit it

Juno:

Juno was only with uis a short amount of time so I only have a few blurry photos of her {cry}
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

And finally my current girls:

Dorian Grey:
Image Image

Tiddly:
Image Image

Chestnut:
Image Image

I will probably be posting one of these pics of Chestnut on the rainbow bridge log tomorrow {cry}
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

And not forgetting my fur babies:

Jasper:
Image Image

Marley:

Lots more pictures will be coming of Marley. She has been posing nicely for me in the garden )t'
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Love the memories of your flock.
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Wonderful photo's and so many wonderful memories of all the lucky girls you have given a loving home to. Marley is adorable - look forward to the garden photo's of her. I will have to try out this other method of posting photo's and get some of my fur (as well as feathered) babies on.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Sadly Chestnut died last night {cry} It is a relief in a way as at least I know she isn't suffering now.

Dory Grey and Tiddly a little subdued, but that hasn't stopped either of them from getting into my grapevine and trying to nick the baby grapes of it! }hairout{

We'll bury her in the garden, next to Casp and Tiggs. I really have to put Remsie's ashes there too, I just haven't been able to bring myself to scatter Remsie with Casp and Tiggs. I won't put her with Chestnut though, that would be the ultimate insult since Chesty deposed Remsie from top hen spot!

Chesty I think had been out for about a year and a half. It's just not long enough is it (yes I know, any time is better than none, but it's still not good enough) I am keeping my fingers crossed that Tiddly Widdly comes through her moult, starts laying again easily (if that's what she's going to do) and survives for many another year. BUT I know that's unlikely.
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Karen so sorry about Chestnut, but as you say if she wasn't enjoying life it was for the best and so nice to go in her own home.
Thankyou so much for posting your girlies past and present, all those famous girls, part of my virtual family.
Losing any of those family original henpals is sad but when you lost Gabby it was like losing one of my own {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I know what you mean Sandy. It was the same when you lost Gwen of all the hens, and many of your others. I dread to think how we will all be when it is Wiggy's time.

The girls are very quiet, especially Tiggly who continues to moult, but is starting to look fabulous with her tail coming in and a full head of feathers. She looks a totally different chicken - I will post some before and after photos when she is finished.

I hope she is okay. I doubt she is missing Chestnut as they didn't seem very close, and in fact Chestnut was pecky to Tiggs, but you never know. Distuption to what they know must hit them very bad, maybe the ex batts more. Dory Grey to an extent lives in her own little marvellous world, either that or she is very philosophical...

Marley is fine )t'
Karen
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh, I am sorry Karen. I understand what you mean that it was a relief in a way to know Chestnut is out of pain, but very sad for you and your girls nonetheless {hug}
As you say, it doesn't seem long enough, but it was a far better life - happiness, freedom and a magic pie-producing cat flap. Hen life doesn't get much more exciting than that!

Funny what you said about Dory living in her own little marvellous world. I think she lives in Woo World with Wiggy and the other Woos (I am starting to sound a bit Dr Seuss). I am certain that is why Wiggy is going on so well on her own.
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

So sorry about Chestnut. She had a fab later life with you. Your photos are awesome.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

We have a tail! It's only small but it's definitely coming through!! )c( Tiggs is a bird transformed - I will post a picture of her full glory when I get one, but here are a couple of photos certainly of Dory Grey in Woo Woo Land

Image Image Image

Tiggs continues to be a little quiet, but a lot less snuggly than she was (boo hoo!) so I assume she's feeling a bit perkier. She and Dory spend a fair bit of time seperate so i assume they aren't best buddies. We are of course thinking of rehoming but the next FSFH rescue is happening when we're away in Oct so that's no good, and we are away a fair bit from now till then so not ideal for introductions. In all honesty, I just can't face intros right now. Hubby said the other day he wouldn't mind if we got another Dory as she is proving to be a lovely regular layer with lovely firm shells. I'm not sure I could cope with 2 woos!

Dory has just crept into the kitchen, got alarmed by not being thrown out and scarpered! Top hen indeed.

Marley is fine, loving being out doors all the time, although usually she is prety good and comes in of an evening and stays in all night as we lock the cat flap behind her. We've seen the bully cat a few times recently in our garden, but we try to make it as inhospitable as we can and so far there seem to have been no more attacks on Marley. >fi<

Some pics of the lovely girl

Image Image

More pics to come but I haven't fiddled with them yet. Imgbox is so much easier and quicker than photobucket was.
Karen