karen's chicken diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: karen's chicken diary

Post by KarenE »

And just so she doesn't feel left out, because she has been posing nicely in the garden - a selection of beautiful Marley photos

Image Image Image Image

In this last one, she is chasing around a leaf, and as you can see she's caught it but doesn't seem to like the taste!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Lovely photos Karen
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Great photo's Karen - What a pretty girl she is.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Lovely, lovely girls. You are a very good animal photographer karen. )like(
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Cheered me up .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Nice to see the girls again .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

As usual stunning David Bailey worthy photos Karen, how i wish you had taken the photos in the church and in the garden, still cannot download my paultry efforts }hairout{
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Where are you?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I am around!

Been ill all week, and travelling lots with work lately. Girls all fine except a bit of heavy breathing from Will and Mango so they are all on precautionary tylan now. Plus something weird going on with Dory Grey's wattles. Long story, keep your fingers crossed they return to normal soon.

We are getting ready for our VIP Sparkly Visitor on wednesday! No doubt the girls will have something to say about it. As probably will Marley, who will have to behave herself as our VIP visitor will be lodging in the house with us
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Sorry to hear you have been unwell, looking forward to the mystery of Dory's wattles >coc< I hope little Lottie Blossom will behave herself, beware she has a way of getting deep in your heart with her cuteness. Thankyou for helping Kitty out, I wouldve come and got her if not for your kindness {hug}

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Well we have a very special visitor! Little Lottie Lotus Blossom, Sparkly Extraordinaire, has packed a little knotted hanky for the weekend and has moved her mobile home into the downstairs bathroom. During the day, we have made her a little den next to the chicken run where she has grass to peck, a patch of earth to scratch in and a patio pear tree and pansies for shade. I also scatter rose petals, dandelion leaves and garvos which she loves as she can peck about for them. She only goes in here when the grass is dry as I don't want her sitting on damp earth with her arthritis, so during the rubbish weather (of which there's been a LOT) or if I have to pop out, she is the sole occupant of the chickens run - my lot are locked out.

It was so miserable yesterday though and my lot were like drowned rats as they're not allowed in my greenhouse either due to my blueberries (I'm getting a crop this year if it kills me) so I set up a chair in the run and popped Lottie on my knee while they all scratched around at my feet. They were being so good that I popped her down on the ground and they were as good as gold, didn't come near her and instead all had snoozes and preens.

I also take Lottie on a tour of the garden where she can peck at the different bushes and leaves, and we've found a spot on the patio that she adores - it's a stone bench covered in roses with a massive grass, and she has a spot at the end where she can grub around in the dead leaves and moss. I also sprinkle garvos around for her to find, and rose petals. Again my lot potter arouind on the ground when she's there but I make sure I am sitting next to her to keep her safe.

She is so funny though whenever the others get too near - she raises herself up to her full height (which isn't much!) and growls and chunters at them. She is especially wary of Mango, who has been sticking her neck through the fencing to get to her garvos.

She's also getting plenty of raspberries, gooseberries (didn't like them), grapes and today had a chunk of melon. She doesn't drink much so I am keen to get fluid into her any way I can. She's also had sweetcorn, pellets and I made up some mash which she nibbled on, but she is definitely far too posh to eat pellets.

Tomorrow and Monday, which are forecast to be hotter (especially Monday) my lot and Lotts will be having blueberries (shop bought), more melon, a bit of mango (the fruit, not the chicken) and pomegranate seeds as well as more sweetcorn.

My girls are all fine. Dory Grey had a bit of a moment last week - she had a sort of smal lump on her wattle, it disappeared but both of her wattles turned grey and swollen. Her comb was fine and she was her normal self, so no idea what that was. Hoping it wasn't a tick. Anyway, they are back to normal now, but she preened a feather today so I am wondering if she is moving into her annual moult. Little Wil has been shedding the odd feather too - hopefully when she moults she will feather up finally - and Lottie is definitely moulting bless her. I guess that time of year is approaching

Got some lovely photos especially of Lottie to show Kitty and Sandy how she is doing, so I'll get to posting them soon.
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Here we go:

Lottie having a ferret around the bench:

Lottie - getting fed up of me snapping away I think:

Will & Lottie:

Lottie again:

Mango, perhaps a bit jealous of the attention Lottie has been getting!:
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Well Lottie went back home on Monday, which means I can lavish all my attention on my poor neglected abandoned girls again. Their words, not mine.

They have spent most of their time in the shade under the trees and bushes, coming out for a nibble on melon, pomegranate seeds, cucumber and of course sweetcorn or raisins in water. But it's too hot to do anything else, so they've whiled away the hours dustbathing in their run. We're eating outside tonight (its very late I know) so I have done 2 salads, one for us and one for them in hopes that we can distract them! Some hope of course.

Little Will is growing some new feathers on her wings, which is lovely as she's been bare there ever since we got her. Poor little Will is petrified of everyone and of course they all pick up on this and chase her off whenever they can. I have to sneak her a seperate portion of treats.

Hope everyone's flocks are staying safe in this heat!
Karen
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Yet again, Karen, marvellous photo's. Lottie is absolutely beautiful and obviously enjoying her life of total pampering. )like(
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

The girls are medicated to within an inch of their lives at the minute. Dory Grey made her entry into the annual Wriggly Poo competition, so flub is being dosed via grapes or bread (just so I make sure they all get some, little Will wouldn't stand a chance otherwise) Plus still huffy puffy breathing going on so all back on tylan, in the water and slightly soaked bread too just to make sure it's going in (just a miniscule amount). Then Pokey was on my knee preening and - lice! yike* So the Harkermectin Ninja visited on Monday night.

But on the positive side, they are having lots of cucumbers and salad (glut from my garden) as well as the odd tomato as it ripens, and I gave them the last of the gooseberries from the lotty. I'll give them the rubbish cauliflower plants too tomorrow - absoluite disaster of a crop this year. They had sweetcorn cobs yesterday (shop bought) and I've harvested my blueberries (they are not getting them!) and so they have full run of the greenhouse again. It's going to be a heatwave this weekend so plenty of cucumbers to keep them cool.

Moulting hasn't started in earnest yet, there's just the odd feather around from Pokey and Will I think but all are still laying regularly

Everyone is well, including Marley who is spending days outside enjoying the garden with no sign of Bully Cat (touch wood!) although they haven't moved yet. I've just found out they are moving to the street behind us so it's possible the ugger may still be around even when they do }hairout{
Karen