karen's chicken diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: karen's chicken diary

Post by KarenE »

Happy new year everyone! Hope 2019 brings you and your hennies and other Significant Others of the two and four legged varieties much health and happiness )pty )hic(

Thanks for the good wishes CC, I am still struggling with the injury. Got a hospital appointment tomorrow which I am not looking forward to at all, as they will be ripping off bandages and generally mauling me about. I had to go and have a sit down with my head between my legs on christmas eve when they changed the dressing!

Dory's bumblefoot seems to still be in remission which is just as well as no way could I be handling that right now. Fingers crossed it stays that way. Pokey is fascinated by my sausage finger (!) - I'm sure she thinks it's a worm or something. It is so difficult only being able to do stuff 1 handed, i am only doing the bare minimum so they are being terribly neglected. And no photography, i can hardly hold my camera!

back to work tomorrow after my hospital appt )gr:
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi wishing you a speady recovery and I in for a visit.
Write again soon.
XXXXXXXXXX
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hows your poorly finger doing Karen? Sounds awlful.....but would love you to )piicy(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Sandy you ghoul! I'm not posting a pic of my finger!

Just got back from another trip to the hospital as my finger had got infected, so been back & forth to the hospital & doctors all week and been on massive antibiotics. Luckily it's clearing up the infection, but it's going to be a slow heal apparently, but it'll be fine eventually

The girls are neglected, I am spending hardly any time with them and poor exhausted hubby is having to do everything. Marley on the other hand is being spoilt rotten as she seems to have moved indoors for winter!
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

hmmm best not let Marley near that finger, she may get very wise of the situation {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

She's been very good actually, unlike pokey who makes a bid for it every time she sees me. Even Dory Grey came over for a little inspection today but when she realised it had no mealworms on it, she sniffed and tottered off. Thank goodness Dory is less of a raptor than Pokes

Hospital pleased with my progress which is good as they were threatening to take me into surgery this week yike* Back to the doctors tomorrow. Anyone tried ironing one-handed? It's not easy....
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Still back & forward twice a week to the doctors to check on my finger. I've been bathing it in salt water to try & get the crusted blood & gunge off, not working so now have a special dressing to try & soften it. All very disgusting, and really quite disfigured at the tip (basically lost the tip). Still want that photo Sandy?? :-D

We have news though! Two new girlies will be joining us on Saturday from the Bhwt rehoming - ex caged girls. I doubt Pokey or Dory will be impressed. I will need hubbys help a lot being only one handed, so wish us luck as I think we might need it!
Karen
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh Karen, you poor thing - I'm so sorry about your finger {hug}
I haven't been on for a bit and missed all the news.
I loved your photos and look forward to hearing about your new girls.
Get well soon
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi hope your new hens get some feathers , my latest now all have feathers except one which has a bald back end . She again is a sweetie and eats as much as she can get , follows me every chance she gets and knows the bowl of food in my hand . Inspects it to make sure it is empty . Cage hens are so thankful of freedom they give back so much more , yes I think love and appreciation.
Enjoy the new hens .
Best
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hope you go on OK with your finger Karen - it sounds a terrible injury. Lots of luck with the new girls on Saturday. Good job you have a willing husband to help you out at the moment (sounds like you are keeping him on his toes!!). Wonder what Dory and Pokey will make of the new girls - all very exciting and nerve wracking at the same time. All the best - keep us informed on their progress and pics would be lovely. Have a great weekend.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

hi Karen, I'm not going to mention the f***** it makes me all shuddery just thinking about it sile} I hope you manage ok with the new girls, praps your hubby will become a mad chicken man after having to help out so much with them!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Karen you are having new girls when you are practically one handed? Hubby will be a fully trained hen keeper by the time we come and see you )t' Seriously make sure that finger is kept well free of any chickeny poo we dont want them harming you unintentionally.
If you are able will be looking forward to seeing your new ginger ninjas

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

We have 2 beautiful new girls! Ex caged hens and according to the bhwt rescue team yesterday, all quite in weak condition. Bless them, they were running late because they'd had to pull so many poorlies aside.

Popped them both into the coop as usual yesterday, and eventually one ventured out for a potter about an hour before bedtime (Pokes & Dory not impressed). Today neither have been out! Maybe it's been too cold for them. But they've kept themselves very busy scratching around the muck in the coop, laying an egg each and for one unfortunate minute being terrorised by Pokey (who was desperately trying to get in to lay her egg, I took pity on her and let her in... she pretended to be nice for a minute, showed no interest in getting into a nestbox, pretended to join in the scratching and then did comb grabs so she was turfed out. I ain't falling for that again!) I think they are both very mild mannered, and I suspect won't put up a pecking order fight. They seem to be getting on very well with each other - so far! And they are very chatty.

No idea about names yet...

Early start tomorrow, I was toying with the idea of watching the super blood moon but I am already knackered!
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Karen congrats on new girls )like( I wonder why the team were late pulling poorlies? Did they leave them somewhere or did they seperate them in the holding pens waiting for rehoming? I am interested as we always put ours in a little cage where we can see them , or if they are shivering they go down our chest!

Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So glad you got your new girls and two lucky ladies will now have a lovely life with you. Good luck with the integrations - hope all goes well. Love to see some photo's of them.