karen's chicken diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: karen's chicken diary

Post by KarenE »

We all enjoyed the better weather but it has turned again today, bitterly cold and the odd snow flurry. Tiggs has slowed down again, she really doesn't like the cold it seems and has just spent the last half hour snuggling up to me in the greenhouse. I might bring her in tomorrow afternoon as it's forecast to be worse I think.

Marley has discovered the joys of play and, having lost her little blue cloth mousie ages ago, has discovered her little orange mousie which she has completely unravelled until it's just a mass of string. She insists on me playing with her - I have to swing the orange mousie around by its tail and she has a wonderful time scrabbling around trying to catch it, although the lazy thing lies down and won't get up off her backside! But her front arms and head get a right workout :-D

The girls are getting wormed - it's been a year since I did them and their poos were so runny I thought it was time. Grape method, which is fun trying to prevent Pokey from eating them all up. So far there are no signs of anything coming out which I find astounding - they free range and it'll be a miracle if they've avoided picking anything up.

And on that note - a goodnight to all! :-D
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

As Marley has completely savaged her orange mousie (you should see the teeth punctures!) and has unravelled it till it's just a ball of orange wool with ears, I bought her a couple of new toys. A new cloth mousie which she was playing with today, and a monkey and feather (don't ask me why) on a stick which I thought she'd love and instead is scared of! She definitely still loves the orange mousie and fetches me from whichever room I'm in then lies down next to it in a heavy hint that she wants to play. Bless her, she is warming up into a lovely little girl. Here she is:

The girls are fine, although I am thinking of renaming Pokey to Asbo. She is a holy terror and I'm convinced she's going to get her head chopped off as she keeps squeezing it into the doorway just as we're closing it. Plus as soon as she sees Tiggs on my knee she's up there trying to muscle her off and I have to protect her as Tiggs does not like this one little bit.

They have been enjoying the warmer weather, I'm not looking forward to breaking the news of the cold weather that's on its way over easter.

Lovely regular eggs from the Asbo chicken and Dory Grey, none from Tiggs who I think is showing her (ex batt) age now bless her. She can still shift when treats are around though!
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Very pretty cat , I have a few chocks that would get more than a ASBO ......
Keep well.
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Glad that your chooks are doing well Karen. Lovely photo of Marley - what a pretty girl she is and it is so lovely she has settled in so well.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Tiggs is on tylan again, she's breathing heavily and sounded a bit gurgly so in to the kitchen she came while I dosed up grapes and sweetcorn with the tylan, just to make sure it got in her. Little beggar wouldn't eat the grapes and in the end got fed up of the sweetcorn too! Obviously the tylan went into their water as well but since they prefer drinking out of dirty puddles and the garden being soaked at the minute, I can't treat every puddle with tylan! I'll do the same again today and hopefully it will clear it up. I might keep her on it longer than a week just to be on the safe side.

Asbo Chicken pecks the backs of my legs when I reach a certain place in the garden, or when going into the treat shed (they must call it that). Just one poke, right in the calf. Little beggar {rofwl}
Karen
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Oh dear, I hope Bella is easier to dose with her cisapride than your girls are with their medicines. How do you house your girls that are brought indoors - dog crate?
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

KarenE wrote:Asbo Chicken pecks the backs of my legs when I reach a certain place in the garden, or when going into the treat shed (they must call it that). Just one poke, right in the calf. Little beggar {rofwl}

She must think she's trained you!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Karen hope Tiddly soon makes a recovery {hug} to her..
}hairout{ this darn tablet says out of range of my wifi when I sat it right by my router??????hence small replies for now x
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oooh sorry Sandy, I forgot you'd asked about the ipad. Is it still playing up? What's the make of the tablet?

Everyone fine my end. Tiddly still slow and looking puffed up and spends a fair bit of time with her eyes closed, but still right in there for treats, digging and marauding etc. She needs a bath today, her rear end is a right mess. But she's just finished her tylan so that won't have helped. I'm not sure she has a respiratory problem, I suspect it's a tumour. Her underneath feels fine. She's ok at the moment but will have to watch her carefully, I don't want her to suffer unnecessarily. We got her in Jan 2016 so she's been out around 2 and a bit years which is pretty good going for a little rescue hen I suppose
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

>fi< to dear little Tiddly…
its a sammysung tablet will work on all wifis except mine! Everyone who comes to the house can use their tablets on my wifi, JL reckon there cannot be a problem }hairout{
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

how is Tiddly now Karen?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Kitty

Am away at the minute on holiday, but she seemed pretty much the same when I left. Fine, then slow, poos ok, not eating much but running round after treats. Fingers crossed she is still ok, haven't heard from the neighbour looking after them but probably wouldn't anyway.

Bit of a tough time just before we left - we made the difficult decision to keep Marley locked in the whole time we were away, because the bloody cat up the road has been coming into the house through the MICROCHIPPED cat flap {mr.angry} somehow he has figured a way to flick it open with a claw, after having spent a week bashing his head against it. I saw him in myself while Marley had been in for ages snoozing on our bed - twice he's been in that we know of in 3 days. So we've locked the cat flap & warned the neighbour as we couldn't take the chance of him letting himself in while we're not there. And he's been pissing everywhere.

Staywell clearly know this is a fault & are sending us an upgrade (???) which better bloody work as these aren't cheap. And of course complaints will have to be made to The cat's owners, this is beyond a joke now. }hairout{

Hope she's okay, it's such a pity because she'd been playing with me, and hanging out happily in the garden.
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Meant to say Sandy - perhaps try getting your Samsung to forget your wifi network & try setting it up again? Failing that, it sounds like a problem with your wifi card in the tablet or a block on the tablet in your router (I would have though unlikely) Bit suspicious if others can connect & you can't. Has the tablet got an Ethernet cable port where you can use a cable from the router to the tablet to see whether it can connect wired? If it's under warranty, take it back. Have you tried connecting to another wifi service (so a friends of work) just to see if the problem is your wifi or the tablet?
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Got back late last night after a nightmare drive down the A1. Marley - who hadn't been seen by the neighbour for the whole time - immediately came out to say hellp and then insisted on me playing with her all evening. She also wanted to go out but that wasn't happening. Picked up the new cat flap today and she's now happily in & out to her heart's content. Fingers crossed it works.

Girls all fine, although Tiggs continues to worry me. She seems about the same, no better or worse. But she is around 4 1/2 in ex batt years which is pretty good going especially for the bad treat filled diet they always get, so I think she's got something like a tumour and is slowing down. She seems happy enough, chewing on a few grapes today and getting her strokers and cuddles.
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Karen , It is hard when the ex bats get to 4 years old , you know the worse can happen. Enjoy her company a if it was her last every day .
Makes you hardened but makes it no easier for sure .
try the energy powder it gives them a boost . Cat dogs bird it is used for as well.
Bob