Longlasting Laner

Re: karen's chicken diary

Post by HenPen »

How is Tiddly now, Karen?

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

About the same HP, if not a little worse, thanks for asking. A tumour I think, or perhaps eyp although I really don't think she was laying (she packed that in early last year) but I suppose you never know. My money is on a tumour. She seems happy enough in herself, still looking for treats but is definitely slower and her underneath feels larger, and she's breathing noticeably especially when she sits down. Poos are small but solid. She seems to be struggling more in the heat and perks up more when the weather cools down. I'm not going to stress her out until I have to. Bless her {hug}

Dory and Pokey absolutely fine, and Tiggs trying her hardest to keep up with them
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Karen are you ok?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes absolutely fine thanks Sandy. It may appear hard but you do grow to expect and accept these things. Tiggs is still pottering about, she is very slow but can't half shift when mealworms are thrown down! Dory and Asbo chicken are absolutely fine, and Tiggs is still in the thick of it, her little face often peering in at the cat flap. {hug}
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

I'm glad to hear she is still Bok Bok-ing on. I don't think it sounds hard in the least - she sounds like she is happy with her lot, and keeping her beak in, but you know what a hen who is slowing down looks like, that is all. Your girls are lucky to be in your care.

And now I suppose I must admit that, having come in from the sunshine and with my eyes not quite adjusted, I totally misread your last few words and for a second I thought Tiggs was in the thick of it and "peering in in a flat cap" - the mental image was brilliant {rofwl}
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

T'Northern en Tiddly in Er flat cap Eckythump

Actually, since we had to fit the new cat flap, we feel so sorry for the girls because we can't open it to flick treats through (it only opens both ways with a microchip) so they are knocking in vain. Probably the next batch of girls won't do it as there'll be nothing in it for them {cry}

So far the new cat flap is working on keeping bully cat out - apart from yesterday evening when hubby left the back door open a crack. I heard his bell upstairs - he'd sneaked past hubby & upstairs without him seeing {mr.angry} Marley was hiding when I went hunting for him. He ran into a bedroom and hubby rousted him out, chased him downstairs and then of course - he couldn't get out through the cat flap! He got the soaking of his life. Hope that will stop him for a while at least. Marley peered anxiously down the stairs, then sniffed around a lot. It must be so scary for her to have her home invaded like this.
Karen
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Bloomin cheek! you should send him home with a rude message attached to his collar!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Girls all fine, asbo chicken continues to peck me in the calf with sheer impatience at my lack of supersonic speed when fetching treats. She also is a dirty stop out who won't go to bed and instead insists on charging down to the back door and loudly demanding her bedtime snacks. Dory Grey drifts along as ever, still as daft as a brush. And Tiggs is still with us, back on tylan because why not, pottering and ambling around the garden, dashing (as much as she can) for treats and loving a little sit down and snuggles with me of an evening. I found lice on her 2 days ago so they were all ninjad with harkermectin - I saw a few still crawling round on her today, how long does it take usually? I might have to squirt them again tomorrow (forgot to do it tonight). Poor Tiddly!

marley is also perfectly fine, no more episodes with the cat down the road so perhaps his super soaking worked for a minute. He'll be back though!

Hope everyone's girls and boys are doing well
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Bully cat is back, although is wise enough now to steer clear whenever he sees us coming. But my usual routine with Marley is - go up the alley way next to our house at night, call for her and she pops up from wherever she's been hanging out and trots in with me through the front door (no servants entrance cat flappery for Lady Marley!) BUT a couple of nights ago, she pops up, hops down from the fence and immediately is pounced on RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!!! by the bully cat who had come leaping over our fence as soon as she'd shown up. I chased him off but she'd scarpered again. She came back eventually, but is super cautious, unsurprisingly. I chased him away up the alleyway again last night. Honestly, he has practically the whole street and obviously the street at the top now as his territory, and he is merciless terrorising Marley. She can't use her own cat flap half the time as he lurks around it, waiting for her. I am so seriously tempted to.. well, you can guess what. It's only my animal loving nature that is stopping me, but to be honest that is wearing thin.

Girls are absolutely fine. Dory and Pokey enjoying life, haring round. They've eaten all my strawberry plants and are so impatient haven't even waited for the berries to turn red before scoffing them. You'd think Dory Grey would know better, having waited for them to ripen last year. And she's dug out all the soil from my little alpine border on the patio to create a favourite dustbath, now they are banned from my greenhouse and veg patches. Plus she's been lurking in the fern again but so far no eggs in it. Pokey doesn't lurk anywhere, she's permanently in motion.

Tiggs is up & down. Yesterday she was slow, very late getting up, looking very sickly with a v dirty bum so I gave her a bath which she didn't like, and hardly ate anything. This morning she's sprightly in the run, still slow but looking better. Funny little thing. I've stopped the tylan as her breathing's much better but I still think she's got an internal tumour.

Sweetcorn dipping yesterday, which everyone enjoyed, even Tiggs. Not sure what cooling treat it may be today. I do have some corn on the cobs for them, and I might give them some tomatoes )t'
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Poor Marley she needs a strong sibling? Tiggs is amazing isnt she she has been up and down for months now, glad to hear she is more up )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I have a metre round puddle which is soaked daily . They scratch around in it and cover the claws a good few inches . I think this will help prevent scaly mite on legs . Maybe rubbish but cools them down splashing and digging the wet dirt .
Bob
I put fish food in the sand pit full of water they have to stretch to reach the middle , some even jump in to get there first .
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I didn't know they are fish food! Must try that

Tiggs put herself to bed super early last night, and is huddled in a corner of the coop (just behind the door so I can't open it without hurting her) so I think her time is short {cry} She's been a real trouper and is now one of my longest lived ex batts (which isn't saying much - about 2 1/2 years free) but she has been slowing down considerably over these last few weeks and has been ill really since Feb time. Still chasing around for sweetcorn yesterday. She is a tough little character, that is for sure {hug}
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Tiggs has gone {cry}

I've buried her in the garden near Chestnut, Tigger and Casper and will plant some flowers over her later today. We got her on the 9th Jan 2016 so that's 2 years and 5 months, pretty much up there with Nugget as one of our longest lived ex batts.

Pokey and Dorey seem in good spirits although Dorey was keeping Tiddly company this morning. Maybe she knew she was nearing the end.

Some pictures in remembrance of Tiddly:

Image Image Image Image Image Image
Karen
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

aww sorry Karen, farewell little tiddly.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

So sorry to hear the news about Tiggs Karen. Sending you a hug. {hug}
Amber.