karen's chicken diary

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: karen's chicken diary

Post by kitla »

maxicare near Wellingbro are a good place to take injured birds if you need to do that. They care for all sorts of wild birds there.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Happy New Year everyone!

Goodness me, what a time we've had lately. All very smooth in chicken keeping world, but I've been quite ill with this coldy-fluey thing all over christmas and it has knocked me for six. Typical - when you have time boked off work and you're ill the whole time! Plus we've had a house full of guests the whole time (still have) so all in all, a thoroughly miserable time! On the positive side, it's turbo-boosted my new year's diet so not all bad news :-D

But the girls are happy enough - they got their christmas dinner a little late, but they got one at least! Mango has stopped laying again and is alternating between being okay and looking sorry for herself so I am hoping its another mini moult she's revving up for (bit odd now) or she's just out of sorts. She is not enjoying being bottom hen, which kind of serves her right as she was such a madam to Willow.

The little white dove is still with us. Looks like she'll be part of the gang now (athough not in the coop as the girls don't like her - marley has learned to leave her alone though!) According to my dad, who used to keep pigeons as did his dad before him, and possibly even going back further, it's a late litter runt who will be perpetually moulting and therefore never able to fly. It's true there always seem to be feathers about, and she looks scruffy. Bless her, she flaps around a lot and wants to fly but just can't get off the ground. So I'll build her a more permanent roosting structure in the greenhouse and she can live in there as long as she wants. Apart from that, it appears perfectly healthy and doesnt mix itself with any other wild birds so I think it's disease free.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I think it is a case of it will never live a natural life in the wild . So you might as well hand tame it and keep it as a wild pet .
Looks much like a good life ahead for it for sure .
Best of luck with it .
Bob
Name ...
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes, we do need to find her a name. We call her Little Dove at the moment, she comes out for food when we're there but I doubt she'll ever be truly tame. Best we can do it try & keep her safe from predators for as long as we can (bully cat will be an issue, I'm sure)
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Aww Little Dove is a nice enough name, might end up as Little D. Lucky that your girls arent having a go at her/him. can it flutter up to a perch?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Little D can flutter and flap, but can't fly and mainly jumps. A bit like a chicken really. She is roosting on top of some books in the corner of the greenhouse, so this weekend we'll build her a proper little 'pad' of her own with a roof (to stop her getting wet when I water the plants) and a proper perch. According to hubby (I have hardly been around again this week) she has ventured out into the garden - possibly because we think the chickens have been going into the greenhouse and eating her food, but we're very happy that she's pottering around the garden. Mango does go for her occasionally so she is definitely not to be trusted on her own with her (Dory and Pokey seem to not be too fussed)

Silly chicken Mango is moulting again - this explains why she has packed in laying - and the never-to-be-outdone Dory Grey has for some inexplicable reason decided to join her! Which is a complete mystery as Dory has well finished her moult. Only Dory could moult through sheer willpower and FOMO. :-D

Pokey though has come into her own and has suddenly and very successfully started laying again this week, and 2 eggs in 2 days is very good going! They are perfect as well, none of this laying tiny eggs or softies to work her way up to it. Just waiting for Dory's FOMO to extend to egg laying now. For a while there, I thought we might have to start buying eggs yike*

Marley is enjoying having her house back, now that all our visitors have gone. All she wants now is an upturn in the weather, so we start spending time outside with her! It's supposed to be nice this weekend, so I may have to get out there and make a start on the gardening - I know it's early but if I don't get a head start I'm forever playing catch up. Got to tidy up the greenhouse at least, and hubby reported a strange poo smell in my shed which has to be investigated. I suspect it's chicken intruder evidence...
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Plans for building Litte Dovey a des-res were put on hold, as she decided to stretch her wings and fly off! Not too far - only to our roof with the rest of the white dove posse, but at least we know she can take care of herself. Hilariously though, she shows up again when the weather gets bad - she comes back to the greenhouse for a roost, some privacy and some dinner. I sat in the greenhouse this afternoon with the girls, as it was pouring down outside, and she trotted across the garden and into the greenhouse to see me and probably more accurately to get some corn - not before Marley in full stalking mode decided to help her on her way, startling the life out of little dovey, mango and pokey!

Mango and Pokey are both laying again now. Dory isn't bovvered, she's too busy living in Dory land. Yesterday was a super special day though - I sat down on one of the steps in our garden and of course Pokey hopped up, followed by Dory Grey! Dory stayed for a couple of minutes before getting down, and then Mango got up! That was a first. She soon got bored and went off to root around for grubs, but it's a start!
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Goodness Hurricaine Ciara has taken its toll on the garden while we were away (holiday) - loads of stuff knocked over, our gates have broken and some of the roof has gone off the girl's run. Luckily no damage to any structures, unlike our neighbour a few doors down who lost their chimney and arial! We're leaving repairs until this series of storms has blown over - there's apparently yet another on the way after this weekends. Our poor neighbours who were chicken and cat sitting for us had to tie the gates up, and the girls apparently were very unhappy with the wind, if not downright scared. Pokey and Dory are both fine but mango is very out of sorts, quite fluffed up and looking for cuddles (from her daddy, she is less keen on them from me - she is a dady's girl) and being very picky about her food - turned her beak up at mealworms, mash, corn and sunflower seeds, but gobbled up spaghetti and raisins today! . I picked her up and had a feel of stomach and crop and couldn't feel anything, breathing etc all fine, so i am hoping it's yet again another burst of her moulting.

Might worm them all anyway, its almost that time of year.

Dory Grey has started laying again yesterday! So that's Pokey and Dory back in business, and needless to say Mango has stopped again.

We are thinking of getting another 2 in one of the Spring rehomes - I'll just give Mango a bit of time to get better before we add to any stress she may be feeling.
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Good to raed , hope you had a good break.
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Everybody is well, including little Dovey who keeps popping over for some corn and a shelter in the greenhouse when it's open (which isn't much as blooming Dennis blew the window off and we can't fix it back again - which means the greenhouse is blowing all over the place) So much repair work to be done but there's just no chance of doing anything in this crappy weather.

Mango seems to have bucked up a bit today, although she's still very whiny. She's less fluffed up, tonight is sleeping on the perches next to Dory Grey as opposed to in the nestbox underneath her (and geting heartily pooed on) and she's been a bit more eager about food. She's stuffing mealworms like nobody's business. I'm hoping we start seeing feathers soon, otherwise I don't know what the problem is/was.

Pokey absolutely fine and since she started laying again, Dory Grey has become quite chippy - possibly because her comb's grown again and she can only see out of 1 eye again. That would drive you crazy!

Marley has become really quite affectionate, for her - reading LLs stories of Lucas reminds me what Marley was like and how much she's come on, and how much further she still has to go. I think she missed us while we were away - she's been positively clingy. She's moved back onto the couch, as long as there's a cushion there for her to lay on, and she's been enjoying getting pats and strokes while snuggled on her cushion of an evening, watching eastenders (!!) with me. She still startles easily but is letting hubby pat her more now too. It's only been 2 years )t'

We were only remarking yesterday that she's become much more confident since bully cat moved away. And then who did I see creeping out from under our back gate? Yes, him - I hope it doesn't set her back. I'm also worried about little Dovey if he gets his claws on her - Marley loves to chase the dove around and i think the pair of them treat it as a game as Dovey always comes back for more, whereas George will definitely not.

Speaking of cats, and for all you cat lovers! We went on holiday to India - the main attraction for me was going on a tiger spotting safari in the national park where they live in the wild. Just had to post one of my photos - we were extremely lucky and saw 3 tigers - a mother and her adolescent cubs!

Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

India is a interesting place to go. I reacon they spoiled you rotten.
They did SHMBO . Did not see tigers but elephants and painted cows was a wonder to see .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Gosh what an adventure Karen and such a treat to see tigers in their own habitat. Glad all your animals are well and I bet Marley really missed you. When we have been on holiday our cats can be very standoffish with us as if to say what right have you got to leave us.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Good to hear Mango is picking up )t'
Am looking forward to your photos from India
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Have been out & about again, just got today at home and am off again tomorrow. India seems ages ago now!

So I haven't really seen the girls much, especially as the weather has been so awful on the few days i am around at home. Mango seems to have perked up, although there still aren't feathers everywhere. But hubby did say he found a lash last week in the nestbox, so it might have been her feeling the effects of storm dennis and co - she doesn't seem to be laying though so maybe not. Dory and Pokey are laying fairly regularly now.

Little dovey is still around, she arrives in he mornings and evenings for ehr corn, and mingles with the girlsquite happily on the rass as long as she doesn't get too close to Mango. And marley of course, who loves the game of chasing her around

The girls have broken into the compost bin, and are taking all the veg peelings out and eating them. Little beggars! }hairout{ I spent a bit of time in theg arden today (freezing cold!) with them and my camera, have a few photos to post up at some stage!
Karen
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I haven't posted in quite a while! Hope everyone is doing well so far with the self isolation & social distancing business. I'm not bothering to social distance at all with the girls, they have no concept of personal space anyway :-D

As bizarre as it seems, and of course understanding the seriousnes of the current situation (I do think things are about to get really bad) I am quite looking forward to being around for a change and spending a lot more time with the girls and marley. Especially since Dory Grey has a rather large bumble on her foot {mr.angry} so we've been bathing it all week with hibiscrub. i even tried a vet wrapping of hibi soaked dressing with drawing ointment on it as well - it was coming off but staying on most of the night. It's hard to get it on though so now I'm just putting some drawing ointment on instead, and hoping that helps to bring the bumble out.

She is taking it all in her stride and in fact has become noticeably more possessive of us, coming right up to us in a very bold manner and demanding treats! Because when she's had her foot soak she gets raisins and grapes and is very happy!

I'm still doin the midnight ninja thing though - taking her off her perch when she is good and sleepy, and she's fine with a teatowel over her head as she goes straight back to sleep again - until its raisin time!

Pokey is absolutely fine, as usual. Mango did shed a few feathers, but has stopped again now and is laying softies at the minute. I've given her some limestone flour, I'm hoping its just a blip as she gets back into laying, but she's fairly irregular at the moment

Still planning to get 2 more in the spring rehomes, if they haven't stopped taking requests completely.
Karen