The Awesome Foursome!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: The Awesome Foursome!

Post by sandy »

Whoa, Belle let Fawkes take a worm from her? Even the bottom hen wont let the top get a worm, maybe she was full up {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

Katiki
Lively Laner

Post by Katiki »

Another productive week. I gave my sister 6 eggs yesterday. That felt lovely. I'm promised some cooking apples off her tree in return!

My girls are doing just fab. We've had fun with a few little treats over the last few days. All are now bold enough to take corn from our hands :-D

Mealworms arrived today... Well I went and fetched them some. I had been meaning to but life does tend to get in the way. Especially with 2 on calls a week }hairout{

Absolutely totally amazing how quickly they have learnt where these delicious treats come from. I head into the garden and am immediately accosted by the girls. They run so so fast towards me in the hope I'm bearing goodies. They look quite put out and are very vocal when I just fetch the washing in {rofwl}

Also tried them with corn on the cob this week. Took a while of me breaking off corn kernels to get them interested. They haven't mastered the dangling cob yet but put it on the floor and there is total anarchy. Brilliant fun to watch!

Up to 3 eggs a day the last few days. Pretty convinced that May hasn't in fact started laying yet. I see belle and Hedwig go in to lay each day and I find one each morning which I believe is Fawkes. Still guess work involved though!

Hope all your girls and boys are well

Kate
[center][/center]Belle aka bellatrix, Fawkes, May and HedwigRIP

[center]One horse, one cat and two chinchillas.[/center]
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Katiki wrote:

Absolutely totally amazing how quickly they have learnt where these delicious treats come from. I head into the garden and am immediately accosted by the girls. They run so so fast towards me in the hope I'm bearing goodies. They look quite put out and are very vocal when I just fetch the washing in {rofwl}

I always find this hilarious. They run away from me if they think I'm going to pick them up or tread on them, but still follow me round, and as you say, if they think you're bearing gifts they all rush at you as if they are starving. One of the greatly entertaining things about chicken-keeping.
Life's too short to quarrel
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I think they need danger money when they accost you for treats. They get kicked, their little feet stamped on and yelled at, 'You'll break my neck one day then who will feed you" {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Katiki
Lively Laner

Post by Katiki »

That's so exactly right Sandy :-D

I've had 2 of my girls actually jump on my lap this evening. I might have a lap bird amongst them yet )t'

Katiki
Lively Laner

Post by Katiki »

Just a quick update. We had enough surplus eggs to pop round next door this morning with half a dozen... Our lovely neighbours were so surprised and grateful. Ann declared our chickens to be lovely and admitted that they had spent hours watching them in our garden from their upstairs windows. How wonderful is that?

I'm really pleased they like them. Their son has always fed our chinchillas cat and fish when we go away. If Ann is a fan then I may have just found chicken sitters for a possible October break!!

In other news Fawkes hurt herself this week and has been limping but after 3 days run rest has improved a lot. Not perfect yet but she's getting there just wish I knew what had caused her an injury!

May is so so close to laying. She does the bottom down stance when we go to stoke her and is visiting the nestbox a lot. She even jumped up there when I was changing their bedding this afternoon the bottom of the coop was at that point removed but she jumped in. I felt it best to abandon the task and not disturb her. She was soon out so I continued. As soon as the coop was all jeyes fluid clean and new bedding in she was back immediately rearranging the nestbox I had so thoughtlessly messed up :-D

Belle remains the friendliest. A proper kitchen hen although May occasionally beats her through the back door. Hedwig is bolder and allowing strokes. Such a joy to be around. So glad that my neighbours are enjoying them too

Kate

Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi Kate and a belated wellcome from me )wav(
Iv really enjoyed reading your diary and its obvious your lovely girls have captured the hearts of everyone they encounter :-D lovely entries and i look forward to reading more {hug} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Katiki
Lively Laner

Post by Katiki »

That's so nice.

Thank you Linda

Katiki
Lively Laner

Post by Katiki »

Well I was right about May!! Mr Kat let me lie in this morning and got the girls up, and the boys as the horses need their brekkie too :-D

He found a very small egg in the coop first thing. This is unusual. I have a clear pattern of who goes inside when each morning and no one lays before 9am at the moment. Given the cycle of course this will change but I was very very hopeful that this little egg might be Mays.

Sure enough. Fawkes laid an egg on cue. Belle laid a big of a torpedo egg that I then left insitu for my niece to find who we are caring for overnight tonight. Hedwig laid her usual utterly huge brown delicious egg shortly after.

So 4 eggs from 4 hens today. A blooming successful Sunday. And our daughter got a first and 2 seconds at the show jumping :-D Following this Mr Kat who doesn't really do much of the cooking made homemade burgers for tea. Wonderful. A meal I didn't prepare! Due to the fact he unfortunately got trod on earlier whilst unloading our 16 2 Irish sports horse. I took pity and tidied the kitchen after him.

I also finally got on top of the ironing. It proved easier as daughter 2 has not got dressed all week preferring to slob in pjs. Well it is the holidays and I like less ironing!

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So glad your girlies are all well )t' I wonder if Fawkes jumped down from somewhere?Good news she is improving and laying! It is great when you have lap girls nothing better for toal relaxation for their 'human'. I am not surprised your neighbours are fascinated as we know we could watch are girls for hours and not get bored. Well done to your daughter, could you pop in a photo of your boys +f+

Katiki
Lively Laner

Post by Katiki »

Katiki
Lively Laner

Post by Katiki »

Oh wow that worked! That is Belle our top girl. Always first for a cuddle :-D

Katiki
Lively Laner

Post by Katiki »

May

Hedwig

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Beautiful photos, what gorgeous girls they are )t'

Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

They are lovely, I especially like May's colouring.
Life's too short to quarrel