My chucks, by Pegasus.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
pegasus64
Learner Laner

My chucks, by Pegasus.

Post by pegasus64 »

Hello,
I've owned chucks since March this year. Researched for a whole year, got the coop, got the run built well in advance (August 2012), in preparation.
Was so excited when they arrived you just watch them for hours.
Light Sussex called Snowy, Lohmann called Ginger and Black rock called Blacky.
You learn so much and I think quite quickly, you have to.
They are so much fun. They are well trained and will sit on my lap and shoulder, had to be able to pick them up for my grandchildren to be able to pet them.
Blacky laid the first egg the very day we got her, the other 2 followed 3 days later. Wow, home grown eggs aren't they just brill.
As you may or may not know Blacky passed away last week. Bravely fought her kidney failure, despite trying to make her better.
Well despite considering ex batts, I have decided to increase my brood to 4 chucks and on Wednesday will be collecting to Bluebells from the chicken lady, so excitement again in all senses of the word.
I have a seperate pen ready and waiting and the anticipation of fireworks.
Snowy being top mama ain't going to like it much, she's also been more vocal since Blacky's passing.
I shall try and put some photo's up of them when they arrive.
Now I have a name for one of them, which going by my lack of imagination, will be Bluey, but what do I call the second bluebelle? I was thinking Bella just to keep some sort of tradition going :-D
I may need some assistance to post a picture on here so any suggestions I would be most grateful.
Snowy and Ginger are doing well by the way and getting quite big girlies. I will also post some pictures of them too.
Well I'll be back on Wednesday with an update and start this diary up properly.
Signing off Dom xx
Fatman, Gollum, Daisy the cat cow (cats), happy hubby, 5 fish, Snowy, Ginger, Bluey, Maggie, the chucks.

aishakali
Legendary Laner

Re: My chucks, by Pegasus.

Post by aishakali »

Look forward to it )t'
LYN
perchy

Post by perchy »

)t' )t'
pegasus64
Learner Laner

Post by pegasus64 »

All excited, one more sleep day, then here they come.
Dom x
Fatman, Gollum, Daisy the cat cow (cats), happy hubby, 5 fish, Snowy, Ginger, Bluey, Maggie, the chucks.
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

Post by Kuikentje »

Looking forward to the pictures.

If you go on Photobucket, it's relatively easy to upload pictures from your computer - they keep changing the way it's done and my only problem is finding them again when I want to share them online, however if you do it straight away it's quite easy. You get the uploaded-to-Photobucket picture you want onscreen, and to the right you will see a little box which offers you the code to share this with another site. All you do is right-click onto the box, when the word 'copied' will appear; you then return to the forum and 'paste' into your reply. Just remember to keep both sites open simultaneously, I find I swear less when I do that.
Life's too short to quarrel
pegasus64
Learner Laner

Post by pegasus64 »

Thanks for that kuikentje. I will try it when I get some photo's.
Dom x
pegasus64
Learner Laner

Post by pegasus64 »

They have arrived.
Didn't get 2 bluebells, got one bluebell and one magpie (black with white neck, lays brown/pink eggs). Nothing inventive but names are now Bluey and Maggie, must now change my attachment.
So far so good, they were separate, but a mistake by me and then they were in together. They had been apart for 3 hours prior though.
Bit of hen pecking going on but nothing to nasty, Snowy retaining top girl at the moment. Bluey is quite verbal and boistrous, Maggie obviously likes her food, which suits Ginger.
Bring on tomorrow, hope the neighbours don't mind the noise today.
Love Dom
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Good grief,they are fairly sociable after 3 hours, lucky you )t' Now come on Dom if I can do photobucket a trained monkey can +f+ Cant wait to see Ginger,Snowy,Bluey and Maggie
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
pegasus64
Learner Laner

Post by pegasus64 »

Well nothing major with them all. Bluey is very fiesty and Maggie just the opposite. Few scuffles but they settled ate together and drank together.
2 newbies didn't want to sleep in the coop so had to put them in myself. They are now in bed, tucked up and no noises coming from the coop.
I'll try photo bucket probably on Sunday or Monday as I'm on night shifts from tomorrow night. Ill get the photos done tomorrow if not too busy as have a lot to do before work.
Very lucky indeed Sandy, but I think tomorrow may be more challenges. No one injured so that's good so far. Bluey has a very red comb, so not far from laying, Maggie a little behind as still pink. Ginger and Snowy been laying since March. The new ones are as big as the old ones and very healthy looking. Will make sure they have sugar water tomorrow and they all like layers mash.
I will do what I did with Snowy and Ginger and start the training of being stroked, handled as the grandchildren will want to hold them, so tomorrow will sit quietly in the coop and invite then to hand feed. Ginger and Snowy are very tame and I have no problems picking them up and stroking them.
It's lovely to watch them and even more so now the team dynamics have changed.
Love Dom
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Sounds like you are having an easy time of intro's, makes life sooo much easier )t'
Agree with Sandy about Photobucket, If I can do it a baby elephant would have no trouble )t'
LYN
pegasus64
Learner Laner

Post by pegasus64 »

Not as smooth as the first day was I'm afraid, there was hoping.
Snowy top girl, poor Maggie at the bottom, but all of then laying.
Having to separate them unless I'm with them.
Putting Ginger, Bluey and Maggie together works fairly well and Snowy separate. All in the same run but partitioned off.
To newbies don't like going to bed in the coop, they seem to prefer to roost on the high perches, but they went in first tonight as Snowy and Ginger were in the section which doesn't contain the coop, so that worked well too.
Any other tips to try to limit the pecking at Maggie would be grateful. I'm presuming that removing the more dominant hen is the best way to go or is it worth just letting them get on with it? Am I doing things right or not?
Love Dom xx
pegasus64
Learner Laner

Post by pegasus64 »

Not too bad a day.
Ginger Bluey and Maggie okay together, but Snowy, she's being the bully. Poor wee Maggie getting the brunt of it. Waiting until they have all laid and then separate then. It was Maggie and Bluey together and Snowy and Ginger, as everyone else seems to okay, except with Snowy about, she shall be separated tomorrow.
Slowly but surely it's getting there. Trouble is that Bluey has been gorging herself and now I think she may get sour crop. Her pouch was really full, so I'm going to see if it clears by tomorrow morning, if not I'll start with what Skeksis has suggeted and go for acv, tomato juice to being with and a bit of massage, as she's still eating.
This sight is sooooo helpful.
I too pick mine up regularly to check them over. Think it helps with problems that you can pick up on easily. The new ones don't seem to mind at all considering and beat done before bed time.
Just sat there in the coop for a while, Ginger on my lap Snowy not perturbed and the new ones being inquisitive.
Still no pictures as yet, sorry guys, just thick. OH will show me how to do it tomorrow.
Love Dom xx
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh Dom do hope Bluey is better now? Dont forget if her crop is full and hard its impacted not sour, sending her lots of >fi<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
pegasus64
Learner Laner

Post by pegasus64 »

Hi Sandy,
Bluey is fine she obviously gorged herself before bed time. Got up early before the automatic door opened, checked her crop and it was empty. No problems today with her crop at all.
Think it may have been rushing her food from being picked upon by Snowy. Separated Snowy today and had a much calmer flock. Both Bluey and Maggie not standing for any rubbish. Snowy seemed happier too. Going to continue this for a while.
Snowy rejoined them at bed time after the rest had gone to bed, all 4 on the perch not just 2, so that's a step in the right direction.
See what tomorrow brings.
Love Dom x
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

You could always try a water pistol or squished if things get bad, that might help to teach Snowy to stop being so bad with the others. I used one when my little bottom hen Gabby was being picked on. It does at least put a stop to the bad behaviour for a while although you will need to be persistent and keep squirting.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper