chookaholics chookalicious ladies

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Re: chookaholics chookalicious ladies

Post by Chookaholic »

thankyou Bridget!

got my first Whitestar egg today of Casper ! They are a rather large egg I have to say. Silver our smaller Whitestar did lay an egg but it was only dinky so I pretended I hadnt seen that one to save her embarrassment )t'

the weather has turned and my girls are all hiding in the washhouse from the rain and the wind : one laid an egg in my basket on my bike ! Im thinking of laying egg boxes out just to save me hunting them down ..... little madams

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh I love their first eggs. Do whitestars lay white eggs?
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

yes ! :-D

Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

Normal day in the Forrester Farm....

Went to collect eggs and I would have lost 2 eggs today as one had laid a softy and 2 had laid on it... it had gone un noticed but obviouly me going out there they had to see what i was doing and noticed yolky eggs they were on it in a shot, i grabbed them and pocketed them before anymore pecking went on ... little b*ggers

One of the Speckledy girls: Miranda Crumpet or Puddin i dont know which as I aw at the last minute was strolling through the garden and out plopped a softy! Just as she was walking! These are obviously the softy layers as theyre the youngest and are in and out of the coops all the time digging deep scoops in the wood shavings. The others were on it before it had even hit the floor! YUK, wasnt the best look for them all walking round with yellow lipstick on {rofwl}

Went into the polytunnel to plant some squash etc and 3 girls followed me in . Now, normally i dont mind they nip the grass shoots and do some weeding: dont bother me at all. I quite like it we have little chats about how theyre going to be so well behaved and not eat Mums goodies but: not any more. I got a whiff of something ... sniffed again..turned round and the egg diet does NOT seem to agree with a chooks dietary system... the STENCH!!! yike* I ran out of the polytunnel with my hand over my mouth like my life depended on it (can still "taste" it now) .... sile} sile} ...so NEVER AGAIN... I dont think id survive

Both Leghorns are laying good sized eggs now so thats another 2 working nicely for their spinach treats and mealworms )t'

Went out today and noticed every coop was wide open ... I asked my 2 youngest and they hadnt been out there ... turns out my 19 year old Katie thought as it was nice she would leave all of them open : Then came the explanation from Me that anything could have just walked in and took a chook AND they wont lay in there if it is exposed and breezy }hairout{ .. needless to say i found some eggs in the sand pit and under the conifer: lesson learned...

Same again tomorrow?
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

My Grandaughter Alice Jayde feeding the girls some mealworms: Im known as Nana chicken : cant imagine why

opening the stable door to let them i : she always looked shocked like who let them in how naughty!

checking each mealworm :

Nana ive run out i need some more!!!

let me out!!

Nibs stretched out in the sunshine: feels great to see an ex batt do this

jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Aww what lovely piccies Nana Chicken {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Brilliant photos, hope Alice Jayde didn't pop a mealworm in her mouth? Its lovely when little ones get up close with animals, I expect the doze in the sun was much needed after their little visitor {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

Aww Jemberelli ! feels so funny seeing someone else say that :)

Sandy no: thats why she inspected every mealworm. because we dont like them.... (she eats all the spinach and broccolli for the chooks) .She is taught how to be good round them :) She always has her Nuna with her and has her hand wipes..(we have to wipe them before we come in and then wash our hands as theyre so little)
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

Gertie our Pekin is going broody again , we have to keep removing her so she will eat and drink ... doesnt seem that long ago she was broody ! If we didnt have so many hens i would let her hatch some but 17 is enough thankyou very much :-D

Caspers comb is getting huge and keeps flopping over when she is rooting about

silver isnt far behind

Nibs one of ex bats comb is looking better too

Merryweather having a dust bathe aand enjoying some rays

The new girls Betty (black rock)
and Lola have settled in. I tried to take a picture of both : Betty poses beautifully...

Lola on the other hand:

Loads to do in the garden.... as you can see this part of the garden is a tip. Getting it ready for some veggies and hoping some grass grows back (hardy ha ha).

Casper has a real problem with the local wood pigeons that come into the garden. They sit nervously on the bird table eating corn and she has now taken to launching herself at the bird table to scare them off then sits on the bird table as if say Ha! naughty girl

The very strange wrinkled shell eggs are in decline of the ex batts. Theyre now laying beautiful dark shelled eggs. I am more and more convinced rusty is a Rhode Island Red. She is a beautiful deep russet colour. Much darker than my other girls. We have a real mixed bag now . I started them on a little poultry spice which really seems to have bucked them up )t'

Mr Pepperpot needs a good bath he looks so dirty as the vaseline for his scaly leg has gotten into his feathers due to scratching and preening : he looks like an old greaser .. no wonder Mrs Pepperpot wont go near him {rofwl} hopefully after a nice bath he will look his usual handsome self
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

so im in and out of the "outhouse" : a big brick building in our garden we use to stash the mower etc while we wait for the new shed: and theres Miranda Crumpet sat in the basket on my bicycle ...she is purring her little head off and really squashed down to doze. there was already a bantam egg in there so it looks like im going to have to put a load of straw in there to stop my basket rotting

Is that what i think it is in y basket?

Snug as a bug {hug}

jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Aww how very cute! {hug}
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aha another chicken in a basket, this time as a take away? Your Black Betty is the image of my lovely much missed Black Betty )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Just catching up with all your photos - lovely ones of your granddaughter. Love the idea of Nana Chicken. My kids have always called my mum Grandma Dog and my mother-in-law Grandma Cat, so Nana Chicken sounds fab to me!

All your chooks are looking gorgeous. Love the chicken in a basket photo - she's got a ticket to ride...
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

Thankyou HEnpen ..My Mum is known as Nana Paddy (the dogs name) oopsie {rofwl} She wasnt too keen on that I can tell you

Sandy; Betty is a new chook off Dannyringking as she was bullying with Lola: seems Betty isnt the instigator Lola has been a madam today and was threatened with a box of PAXO... poor Mrs Pepperpot gets the brunt of her pecks so she was removed from the run today for while (Lola that is; they had a bale of straw thrown in for fun and she was being naughty so no playtime)

My Daughter Jess came running in panicking tonight. She is 14 and my youngest: helpful with the chooks etc and as i wasnt feeling too well she went to lock up. Horror of horrors: One was missing.......new girl Lola...... Mr Chookaholic went checking round the garden with her with torches and the dogs and couldnt find her. Eventually they looked in the outhouse and there she was snug in a corner on the biggest pile of eggs we`ve ever seen! I think the PAXO threat may have had more effect than I thought!! Seems my madams like the outhouse as they were of all shapes and sizes so tomorrow we have a new job... sorting out all the junk and making it safe for them as we know it is pointless trying to stop them and in doing so hoping they just might not like the changes and go back to the coops. Ive also put old tea towels in my bike basket ... as there was a speckledy and a bantam egg in there!

I tell you they do make me giggle with their antics. They know what they like dont they {rofwl} I have visions of me going down the street on my bike with Miranda Crumpet in the basket with flying goggles on and a white scarf flapping
AnnieG
Lively Laner

Post by AnnieG »

Love your diary Chookaholic. Glad the new girls are 'settling' in. :-D