Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Re: Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Post by HenPen »

I think she's worse today. Much slower. Tail still mostly up though. I gave her a bath this morning, which she seemed to find very relaxing, but she kept closing her eyes and doing a massive shiver every ten seconds, and I notice her breathing is quite laboured. Her crop was empty but she wolfed down some grapes and oat mash. She's been indoors since 11am, so two hours, and no poop, which just isn't normal. I'm leaving her indoors to dry off completely and have made a vet appointment for this afternoon.

I did try to see if I could feel an egg but couldn't feel anything obvious and was terrified of breaking a softie.

Trying to stay optimistic. She was so bouncy a few days ago. {cry}
>fi<

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

HP, I really hope it's positive news at the vets. >fi< Please keep us posted
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Fingers crossed for you and Mirry at the vets today. >fi<
Amber.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Thank you both. You are kind.

Well here's my poorly girl, in the hospital wing, or loo as we usually call it. Actually preferring to be on the loo, which I think she likes because it's higher ground and nobody is going to open a door on her. This was before the vet visit, and much to my relief she has returned and is back in there. I can't say it's good news, apart from the fact that we are giving it a go. It is EYP (I had worked this out by the time I loaded her up to go and she was doing dark green poops and generally going down hill at a rate of knots) with the added complication of a slight chest infection which I believe started yesterday when the temperature plummeted. She has a very high temperature. He says she is a healthy looking bird in all other respects (you know, apart from the important one of actually being well) and a good weight.

The vet gave her an injection of metacam and of antibiotic to give her a good start, then a course of giant antibiotic pills (aren't they always? I got some tablets for my dog recently, and they are totally appropriate for a hen... But no, the hen gets ill and they bring out the elephant tablets) and metacam liquid for a week. But he said, while its worth a try, and she should perk up once the temperature breaks, basically there is a very high chance we are delaying the inevitable. But then I knew that. No stranger to EYP. Delay away, I say, provided we can get her to out of pain and pootling about for a bit longer.

Meanwhile Wiggy has made a right mess of the sandpit/dustbath for the first time since I put it in. She must have been having a fantastic old kick about - feeling either bored or uninhibited. Miranda is in the warm tonight, and I feel for Wiggy, out there alone. Lucky she's a big girl and hopefully can keep herself fluffed up and warm at night.

It's a worry. Well, they are, aren't they?
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Henny , you know sometimes meds and your wonderful care does work. I know Alice,Abbie and Janet all survived for many many months after the initial diagnose so sending an excessive amount of >fi< to Miranda and a big {hug} to you as we know exactly how you are feeling.
PLease do let me know the next time you are in Bristol, would be brilliant to meet you.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

HP, I really hope Mirry pulls through - treatment for EYP has worked, let's hope it does for Mirry. She has a chance, thanks to you >fi<

Yes, they are all a worry, at some stage.

I hate to have to say this, but you may have to start thinking about Wiggy, should the worst happen (sorry)
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Yes, I know Karen. As I said, it has been on my mind, but - as you know - it's not easy just now, not least because of the bird flu thing.

As I am considering giving up chicken keeping, I would rather rehome than go for point of lay. In an ideal world I would be rehoming an older lady that someone wanted to give up, and in that dream world, she would also be a nice natured girl who wouldn't give Wiggy a hard time. Well, a girl can dream. I have been looking, hoping such a girl will appear on the Hens Needing Homes section. But of course, Miranda couldn't cope with that right now, I don't think, so it would be dependent on her getting better or the worst happening.

Meanwhile, I am just hoping and hoping that Miranda will pull through. The two girls are so happy together. Wiggy has definitely been happier since we went down to three, and positively thrilled, I think, to be one of two fairly evenly matched hens.

I took Miranda outside two days ago and she even managed to oust Wiggy from a prime dust/sun bathing spot, so I found myself feeling hopeful. But things aren't looking quite so good today. On the plus side: her comb is a nice vivid red again instead of a frightening purpley blue; her poos aren't all green any more, and she seems generally more alert. On the minus side she is still breathing heavily, so the chest infection isn't clearing yet, she is still all big and squishy underneath and - more worryingly because those two things are really to be expected, since it has only been a few days - having eaten like a horse for the past few days, today she is rather off her food, picking at it and shaking it all around (pebbledashing the newly-decorated loo with mush) rather than actually eating. The only thing she is interested in eating is fish. It's definitely not a good sign, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Today, as it is warmer than yesterday, I am letting her have most of the day in the run. Wiggy will be glad of the company and Miranda will prefer it, I think. Wiggy has been a darling - there is none of the eyeballing that used to go on with the other girls when one was returned after having been poorly and taken inside for a while. She just carries on Wiggy-ing happily. I will bring Miranda back in mid-afternoon for a rest and some fish, then keep her in overnight. It makes giving her tablets in the evening and the morning much easier and it means she is in the warm.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Wiggy is a star )t'

How is Mirry today? I hope she's okay. She may be struggling to breathe a little if the fluid on her abdomen is pushing against her chest cavity. Jasper was the same (entirely different illness of course!)

If the worst does happen (hope it doesn't) you never know - Wiggy may be a happy little solo chicken. Some chooks do seem to be quite content on their own, contrary to what we think. Or maybe she becomes a house chicken, moving permanently into the downstairs loo...
Karen
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

KarenE wrote:
How is Mirry today? I hope she's okay.

Thanks for asking, Karen.
On Friday, since her fever and lethargy were clearly gone and it wasn't too cold outside, I felt she would be able to cope and moved her out of the loo and back in with Wigs. I think this has perked her up - she has seemed happier since going outside, although I felt she was pretending to eat and she was hiding behind the coop a lot at first. Today though, she is eating better and rushing to the run door with Wiggy, far more like her old self.
This evening, I brought her in for a bum wash, some warm mash, tablets and a few grapes and she enjoyed everything except the tablets.
I've got to leave her in hubby's care on Tuesday, so >fi< I'm just hoping she continues to improve.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

perhaps, if Miranda recovers from this bout, that meds (cant remember what its called right now) that stop them producing eggs might be an option. It's a bit expensive, but then so are all the antibiotics & emergency vet visits aren't they?!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It's good to hear she's perking up a little. )t'

How are you managing to get the tablets down her?

And Kitty - are you talking about the implants you can get? Might be worth thinking about actually.
Karen
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Do hope Miranda improves (it sounds from reading your post that she is improving - fingers crossed for her). I hate this EYP - Having experienced it a couple of times, it is something that I dread. One of my old girls, however, did make quite a good recovery on her medication (know what you mean about the size of the pills!!). I think this Suprelorin implant could be a good option, certainly Worthing considering. All the very best.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Miranda seems worse today and is very hunched. I seem to remember this is often the way - you think they have turned a corner, but it's like one last blast of effort from them rather than a sign they are getting better.

I have been thinking very hard about the Superlorin implant.

I did the implant thing with Ginger and I learnt a few lessons from it: firstly that, while it can give them longer, it usually isn't a cure; secondly the vet will tell you it could (a) not work or (b) hold off laying for 6 to 12 months, but for Ginger it only lasted four months and the second one possibly made her end faster because (thirdly) it's quite hard on their little systems when they are already compromised by EYP. It tends to force a moult, which, as you all know, takes it right out of them - and in Ginger's case, the second implant was probably too much. And, although I know I was trying to do what was best, with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I wish I hadn't put her through the stress of the vet visit and the implant that second time.

Ginger was quite a bit younger too - she died in October 2015 aged three. Miranda is now about four and a half, so quite elderly for a hybrid hen.

And then, and I hate to mention this because anyone who reads these diaries must know the lengths I would go to for my girls, Kitla, when you say "it's expensive but so are antibiotics and emergency vet visits" - you are right of course, but I have just had to pay over £100 for both of those things for Mirry, plus £200 for my dog at the vet, and the only chicken vet in the area is so pricey.

I have seen how much other people say they pay to get their chickens seen, and it seems to me that generally they are paying half what I am and sometimes much, much less. I saw somewhere online that it was around £40 for the Superlorin implant. Well my vet charged me £140 plus consultation fee.

Of course, I feel like a heel saying all that, especially with all my DTL chicken friends thinking it is the way to go - I just down know if it is the best thing to do.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi HP - I agree that it is a difficult decision and I know I have done it myself putting my old girl Lily through more treatment (and very large pills) and vet visits. How old is Mirry? At the end of the day we can only do what we feel is in the best interest for our pets. I know this doesn't help much, but whatever decision you make will be the right one for your girl. Best wishes to you both.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Oh Henpen.
Sorry to hear Mirry has taken a turn for the worst. We all know how much you care for your girls and this is very evident by reading your posts.
You can only do what you think is best and what you can afford. Unfortunately a lot of vets, including mine, think we all have very deep pockets! {hug}
Amber.