Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Re: Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Post by HenPen »

Thanks C C, I am grateful for your thoughtful words.
Cheshire Chick wrote: How old is Mirry? At the end of the day we can only do what we feel is in the best interest for our pets.

She is four and a half. Quite a good age.

amber66 wrote: Unfortunately a lot of vets, including mine, think we all have very deep pockets! {hug}
Amber.

Oh, thank you, Amber, you are kind. Yes, it is very true. I'm sure they don't realise the pressure it puts us under - but I am a bit bewildered by the price discrepancy.

Anyway, that said, unable to decide what best to do I have just made an appointment to see the vet I saw with Ginge, rather than the one I saw recently with Miranda (because Ginge's vet was happy to go the extra mile, while Miranda's - whilst willing - sounded astonished when I asked to have the course of antibiotics extended. I think he thought we'd given it a go, and that was that).

Since making the appointment, I have been looking back - with some reluctance because it makes me feel very sad - at the story of Ginger's implant and how it came about, and it has made me unsure about taking her in today, actually. I had forgotten that I originally took Ginger in because she had blood on her bottom, having tried to lay a shell-less egg and been nipped by the others. She was put on antibiotics to stave off any infection- which was handy, and probably held off the worst of the early EYP, although nobody realised that's what it was until I went back some days later when she seemed under the weather.

So she wasn't actually properly ill like Miranda is now when she had the first implant. However she was like this when she had the second one, and she didn't survive it, I think as a result of not being strong enough.

Another thing I have noticed, looking back, is Kitla mentioned an injection called Delvosterin, which is far more temporary but a lot cheaper. I might mention that to the vet if I go.

However, at the moment, I am planning to go out and check Mirry again at lunch time and then decide whether to put her through the stress of the vet visit or whether to cancel and hope she will be able to her live out her days in peace. It's not easy, is it?

HilierWard
Lively Laner

Post by HilierWard »

hi HP

I think we are going through the same things.

Come on Mirry >fi< mommy's worried sick about you {hug}
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello HenPen.
I am sure what ever choice you make will be the right one for you and Mirry. It is just SO hard to make the decision. Thinking of you both. {hug}
Amber.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi sure this will help at all.
You have and always do your best . Sometimes you have to say nature makes her call . She has had a good life You have done your best . EYP is not always the route of the problem and they get better or have a extended life . As long as she is happy and still getting about I would let her continue. You will know when it is time to say good bye for sure .
No amount of money can always save your pets . I have spent fortunes and it always ends up in the chicken making the call .
Hope it all goes well and keep the fond memories .
let us all know how you get on .
Bob
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Thank you Bob.

I am afraid it isn't good news. Miranda has gone.

For all my to-ing and fro-ing about the decision, I suppose I always knew I would go to the vet and I would be totally prepared to get the implant done if that was what he thought best. I think I was really using the diary as a sounding board for all the thoughts whirling around my head.

What I wasn't prepared for was not to be bringing her home. Silly really. I knew how weak she was getting. I hadn't seen her drink for a week. Her appetite had waned and she wouldn't even eat her favourite sardines, just a teeny bit of sloppy oat mash (extra sloppy because I was trying to get some fluid into her) and some grapes, but I allowed myself to hope because she spent time today scratching and even chased a grape. I did notice her legs had been forced even further apart today by the increased fluid in her abdomen, her tail was right down whenever she felt she wasn't observed and a gust of wind nearly blew her over.

She stood on the table in front of the vet puffed right up, panting and closing her eyes as if wincing. He said there was no infection left in her lungs, she was panting because she was in a great deal of pain. He would have been prepared to do the implant if I wanted it, he said, but I asked him if he would do it if she was his, and he said he thought she was too far gone and in too much pain. I asked if I could take her home and let her fade gently and peacefully away - he said it wouldn't be like that for her, it wasn't peaceful when she was in so much pain and that it would be cruel.

I wish I had seen him instead of the other vet last Monday. Maybe she could have had the implant and it wouldn't have been too late. It is going round and round in my head - all the "what ifs".

Came home and spent some time with Wiggy.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh Henny I am so sorry you have lost Miranda. Of course you are second guessing yourself about what you could and couldn't do for your precious girl. I cannot say anything to reassure you as I too am still going over in my head about the ending of Haze over three weeks ago. The only consolation is they are no longer suffering and to convince ourselves we did our very best for them, because after all we know in our hearts that we did in the end as we both loved our girls and would never unintentionally not do our very best for them {hug}
Lots of love to you and Wiggy who will be missing her dear sister almost as much as you
Sandy xxxxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh HP such sad news. I really hoped it would be different when I read your post earlier this week.

It is the hardest decision we all have to make - we all know that - and each and every time I have had to make it, I never feel it's been the right one. Is it the best thing to take them to the vets? Is it the best thing to have them go in a familiar environment, without the added stress of a vet trip? How long do we continue to treat, and hope? I just don't think there's any way we can know the answer, and so we have to make a judgement call for them. As Sandy says, we will all second guess ourselves and wish that such a thing could have been different but the fact remains that these girls have a short life with us, and the best we can hope for is that it's a happy life with as stress-free an end as we can make it.

I still bitterly regret some of the choices I made, especially with Nugget. And Remie. But the best choice I made overall, was giving them a home in the first place, and you know this is true for Miranda too {hug}

As for you wishing she could have had the implant last week - truthfully, it sounds like the infection might already have been too far gone for her {cry}

Final point for now - you never, ever have to worry about explaining yourself or your decisions to us on the DTL diaries and you certainly have no cause to feel like a 'heel'. You're a henpal mum, we know you absolutely always have the best interests of your girls at heart and will make the best decision you can for them, and for you - and that decision may sometimes be to discontinue treatment and let them go. None of us should ever feel peer pressure to take a certain course of action - the care of our flocks is our responsibility, and ours alone. And as Bob says, the damn chickens nearly always take that final decision out of our hands anyway.

I hope you know that you will always have our support here - as will everyone else who posts in the diaries. We are a henpal community (all of us DTL chicken keepers, not just those who post on the henpals diary)

Tomorrow, I recommend a heavy dose of Wiggy Therapy. It is scientifically proven to be most efficacious in every way.

{hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi, I hope people just starting with chickens can read these few words .
The flocks give so much and take plenty from our hearts.
Would I stop having them .No chance.
Nothing can cure a broken heart , be it people or hens. Time and plenty of photos to look at and the memories .
Bob
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

hello HenPen.
Reading your post it could have been any one of us writing it. We all go through the same questions and doubts but at the end of the day, as the others have said they usually decide for us.
I am often on here asking questions but at the back of my mind i usually already know what i am going to do just need reassurance from you guys as i know you will all understand. Your girls are loved and well cared for and that is all we can really do.
Thinking of you {hug}
Amber.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So sorry Hen Pen to hear your news. I agree with all the comments that have been posted to you. We all, as chicken-keepers, know only too well what you have been going through. In my eyes you definitely made the right decision (I cannot bear to think of any animal suffering). What a lovely life you have given her and 4 and half is a very good age (the oldest girl I have had was 4 years). I believe in quality of life so just remember all the wonderful quality moments she has had being a well cared for, loved girl. Unfortunately these feelings we feel as animal loving humans is the price we have to pay ... but Bob's right, would I be without them .... No way - although I have thought after I have lost girls "that's it, no more". I then think about the quality of life I can offer to some other girls .... and so it continues! Take Care.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Sorry to hear this Henpen. I go through those horrible guilty feelings every time with every animal I've cared for that's died, dogs, guineapigs, chickens, rescued wild baby birds, pet fish! You are a caring sole be proud of that, not everybody is! & you did your best for her {hug}
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

It is great to have you all - you understand joys and the agony of chicken keeping. Slept badly last night, going over and over it. Reading your comments has helped me make sense of things and made me feel better, thank you so much.
More than ever though, I am so sad and disappointed to be missing some chicken bonding with the Henmums and Hendad on April 8th. I hope you have a lovely time and look forward to being able to actually make one of these Hendays.
As Karen says, Wiggy Therapy is a wonderful thing and I have taken full advantage of it today, which did me a lot of good. Wiggy has had a rather nice day: corn on the cob, grapes, dustbathing in the sun, plenty of company - although, as always, she is in her own little world. At the moment, my daughter is out there keeping her company so she can get back to dustbathing, as she was interrupted earlier when I had to go out - and thought it was a dreadful liberty. I think she can look forward to being even more spoilt than usual, and I am sure she will think that is a good thing.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , the answer to the problem , name a day and place and I will come visiting .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes, why don't you give us a date and we'll work around you next time?

And how are you and Wiggy doing?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Henny if it is not one of my working weekends I will travel many miles to see an origianl henpal mummy :-D
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/