Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Henpen's hens and Eggstremely odd eggs

Post by KarenE »

Photobucket's working again now HP, although I dont know how long for. I use imgbox now, much easier than photobucket: https://imgbox.com

{rofwl} to Wiggy, she certainly has you wrapped round her claws! I never wrapped Dory or Casper's feet, my vet again with contrary advice to yours said not to bother, which I was very relieved about actually. But then again my 2 never had ops on their feet.

6 years old eh for Scary and Wiggy? Goodness I feel old OLD OLD now. I can't believe we've all been active (ish) on here for that long. Definitely Scary and Wiggy have outlasted all of my girls. Perhaps there's something to be said for being a single hen after all.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Where are you?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Here I am!

Sorry, the summer seems to be getting away from me.

Wiggy is bandage free, at last. Gosh, that was a long run of bandaging - we were both pretty fed up with it.

The Big Woo seems to be enjoying the summer, loving her dust bathing, and I get a lot of laughs from the way she sprints across the garden at full pelt, head down, every time she spots me, then swaps over to diffident ambling for the last few feet. "What me? Thrilled to see you? Nah - I was doing some exercise".

There have been no eggs for several weeks now after a run of having them every other day. As far as I am concerned, a mature lady like Wiggy can take as many breaks from egging as she wants to. She can stop all together and enjoy her retirement, if she likes. She is, after all, guaranteed bed and board (and lots of treats) whether she pays for it or not.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Here I am!

Sorry, the summer seems to be getting away from me.

Wiggy is bandage free, at last. Gosh, that was a long run of bandaging - we were both pretty fed up with it.

The Big Woo seems to be enjoying the summer, loving her dust bathing, and I get a lot of laughs from the way she sprints across the garden at full pelt, head down, every time she spots me, then swaps over to diffident ambling for the last few feet. "What me? Thrilled to see you? Nah - I was doing some exercise. But while I am here, have you got anything for me?".

There have been no eggs for several weeks now after a run of having them every other day. As far as I am concerned, a mature lady like Wiggy can take as many breaks from egging as she wants to. She can stop all together and enjoy her retirement, if she likes. She is, after all, guaranteed bed and board (and lots of treats) whether she pays for it or not.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Ooh blimey, no posts for ages, then two exactly the same...
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

)like( The Wigs is doing so well isnt she , proper madam as her senior years permit her to be. Good to hear her foot is all better, I can well imagine the two of you are glad the bandaging is all over .
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Excellent to hear news of my godhen! I am offering board & lodging to all henpals if Wiggy is ever in need of a temporary abode. My lot would be entranced by her wisdom.

Good to hear the bumble has gone. Dory Grey's also is quite deflated and hasn't recurred - just daily baths with hibiscrub. Odd, eh? I'm so glad I didn't need to wrap her foot, I'm sure one of us (at least) would've outright died.
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

How is my godhen doing HP?, you know since the sad loss of Scary she is now the only remaining original member of the Henpals left!

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Hiya - sorry I haven't been on for ages. One thing after another here, not least a total computer calamity which has made it hard to write online }hairout{

Well I don't want to worry you, Sandy, but she's not too good just now. A horrible hard moult is combining with a mini bumble on the pad of her foot, and the situation is probably not helped by old age, so she is pretty low. Today I can't tempt her out of the coop, she is just glaring at me from the nest box.

I wrapped her foot two days ago and felt her all over and couldn't find anything, not even a messy bum, but she's very light and is eating treats but not much else, and even then, she is being picky (fruit is current favourite and she's had a few eggs. Sunflower seeds - her usual top treat - stay untouched. Will try sardines next).

Having said all that, she does moult quite spectacularly and it does sometimes hit her hard, so I'm hoping tomorrow will be better >fi<
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh dear, so sorry to hear the Wiggy Woo is less than her stellar best. I do hope it's the moult - they do go very off food etc at the beginning. Hopefully the fact that she has the energy to glare at you is a good sign

Try the hibiscrub soaks. It really did work for the Dory Woo, took about 2 weeks and if it's small it may take less time.

Obviously wouldn't recommend this as a rule but special circumstances and all - have you tried her with some (non chicken) cat food?
Karen
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw Wiggy...lots of >fi< {hug&kiss} to my lovely godhen...how is she doing HP?

HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Wiggy is doing pretty well for an old bird. She has just had the mother of all extended moults - very down in the beak, which was a bit of a worry. She still seems to be spending a lot of time in the coop, which I think is her feeling her age more than anything, but is much better in herself.

It's been a bit of a sad time here. We had to say goodbye to our darling dog, at the grand old age of 16 and a half, after a couple of difficult and worrying months. And a few other things going on too, so haven't had a chance to go Down The Lane for a bit x
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So sorry about your dog {hug&kiss} my cat was 16 and a half when i lost her, was devastating.
So glad to read about Wiggy though )like( i was a bit nervous opening your post,, what. little trooper she is, still cant believe there is still n original henpal with us.
You take care , hopefully in the new year when the nights are lighter we can catch up again with the other henpal parents x

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, we all understand just how devastating it can be when you lose a much loved member of your family (because that's what they are). I hope you're taking care of yourself

Sandy is right, I would love us to meet up again - maybe when the weather is kinder and the season less mad we could head your way. I can bring my gear and we can do a photoshoot of the incomparable Wiggy (fingers crossed of course, I too like Sandy get a bit nervous when I see you've posted!)
Karen
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , Having lost my close friend Harley in June I know what you mean and going through.
Best wishes .
Bob