Thoms Birds!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Re: Thoms Birds!

Post by HenPen »

Ooh yes >fi< >fi< for some DTL ducklings!

Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

I'm promising myself I won't update here every day as it's only day 5! However I thought I would pop up a couple of pictures, the first is mags on her nest and the second is her unimpressed his when asked to get off while I removed today's fresh eggs.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

You should update everyday if you can, love duckies )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Haha thanks Sandy!
Well today I was successfully given the position I interviewed for to study a 3year degree whilst being paid for the privilege which is incredible as it allows us a little more financial breathing space. More importantly however.......
Maggie is still sitting tight although she has now been joined by Rosie! This SHOULD be great news although I fear Rosie has disrupted her enough, and split the eggs into two smaller nests side by side that they may not be viable. I will continue to let them keep on keeping on and cross my fingers!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oooh two broody ducks. That can't be good news :-D

Congratulations on the degree funding as well. Brilliant news that you won't need to take on a student loan. What will you be studying?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Diagnostic radiography Karen. Thanks.

As for two broody runners, I'm not sure if it's good or not! I'm desperately hoping they will manage even a couple of fluffy little balls of cuteness between them! It seems like Rosie has disprupted Mags a little though. Getting today's eggs out was a little fruity, I thought I was going to get jumped on, they are very protective and Lex is doing a fine job of putting himself between me and the nest whenever he can too!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Congrats on getting the funding for your degree )t' I do sympathise with you having broody runners! I had to put up with an amorous runner and I was black and blue, it was like going to war {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Thanks Sandy, there are now THREE broodies sitting on the original 14 eggs (I thought it was 13) The girls are getting less and less impressed with me collecting the days eggs. So far it hasn't got as far as they actually pecking me, but I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of time!
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi ive just caught up with your diary and have been laughing like a loon at your gorgeous girls antics and.I love the pjc of both girls with thier hesds underwater. :-D
Lex is a very handsome lad so im not suprised your girls are happy with a stud muffin like.him wooing them
COngratulations othe wedding thehouse move and the funding you have certsinly been kept busy. Keep up the great diary iv loved catching up withit :-D linda
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Thanks Linda, they are entertaining, I will give them that!

Well things are getting silly now. The past two days there has been four of them trying to sit on the eggs! Only two were there when I went in this morning but they seem to be alternating their breaks. Poor Lex and Pickles are all on their own most of the day. When they do come out for food and water, Lex acts like its his last chance to 'spread his seed' and chases them around the run until he gets his way! Usually they are quite acomodating but not at the moment, they are having none of it.
I couldn't resist and candled 3 of the eggs this morning. I can see a few veins, but at 11 days I'm not sure exactly how they should look. Well at least something has happened and hopefully still is.

All is quiet as they (Rosie) are in the broody trance, but when I go in to change water and top up feed, they are making a serious racket. To be honest I didn't have faith that they would last this long on the nest but I'm hoping between the four of them that something should hatch. The DW says we will have to get rid of them as we wont have space, but I'm 100% confident that she wont be able to resist keeping a couple once she sees the fluffiness.

I keep saying that I don't think they will manage it, but really I'm just trying to prepare myself for the disappointment if all goes wrong. Because of the colours (3 chocolate, 1 blue, 1 white and a black drake) I have no idea what the possible colour outcome could be. In fact I think I will Google that!

Couple of short videos to come hopefully.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I think you should update your Ducky Diary every day Thom, it'll be brilliant to see your duck harem hatching their eggs. I bet they surprise you, they seem pretty determined from what you've said. Fingers crossed you get a few chicks >fi<
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Thanks Karen.
They are still trying although they seem to have 'lost' 2 eggs. Can't find them at all! If the number goes down any more then I will have to assume they are being stolen or eaten by something. Fingers crossed that I just missed them though.
3 girls nesting, here's two in the video.....

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

The duck's walk is so funny, they seem extremely upright! Your 2 nesting ducks seem to be saying 'Do you mind? We is nesting!' to you

Can't think what's happened to your missing eggs. Do you think the girls know they aren't hatching and have turfed those ones out? Surely if there was something getting in and taking them you'd see evidence ie of poo and other traces?
Karen
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

11 eggs left in the nest and 3 convincing broodies and 1 half hearted effort.
I candled a few again today which is day 16. I am not sure what I should be seeing but most of the egg is very dark and just a small section at an end that lights up and seems very clear. >dum<
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Looking at a reputable website, my 16 day eggs look like their 23 day eggs so not too sure what it means.
I wasn't intending to candle them at all and wanted to just wait and see but it's just too tempting to have a look! >fi<