Thoms Birds!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Thoms Birds!

Post by sandy »

More piccies please, I am getting runner duck withdrawal symptoms
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

More piccies please, I am getting runner duck withdrawal symptoms

There's got to be a bad pun we can make about that!
Prizes to the best bad puns!!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

If the sun is out tomorrow, I will take some more. I think I have couple of video us of them running guiltily out of my shed too. I hope those will be eggceptable to you! yike*
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I hope those will be eggceptable to you! yike*

Ouch!! :-D
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

KarenE wrote:
I hope those will be eggceptable to you! yike*

Ouch!! :-D

I know. I'm sorry, will try not to ever say something so shameful!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Well so far you're winning the worst pun competition )t'
Karen
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

{rofwl} {rofwl}

so they keep "peking" in your shed? arent they little terrors! tee hee

(sorry it was food related)

Our neighbours duck is super noisy at the moment : she only has 1 duck left and 1 chicken and they follow each other around. Is it right ducks dont need water when theyre young ? To swim in i mean?
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Equally as bad Chookaholic!
The saga continues..... I think the girls always being up to mischief is because I'm currently not working as I'm in the midst of a career change, that results in them having free range of the garden pretty much all day instead of keeping them in the run while I was working.

I went outside this morning to find lex standing on a spade lay outside the shed, he wouldn't be quiet and was reluctant to leave. I also noticed Maggie wasn't with the other 4 girls. She wasn't in the shed, but underneath it. This happens quite often but they can get in and out very easily but today she must have found a new way under and was trapped behind one of the floor joists. It did make me chuckle in hindsight but at the time I was worried. Thoughts of taking up the floor, or trying to jack up the whole shed (which is more like a small timber workshop). Eventually I got on my knees and had to dig a trench under the joist for her. While digging she went and lay down right at the back and I was wondering if she would be ok. After 15 minutes and more cursing than I like to admit she squeezed out of the trench and trotted back across the garden like nothing happened!
Through all of this, it was only Lex who was bothered. I guess the other girls are used to her being the 'special' one :?

I did take a few videos but after watching them back I'm not sure they are appropriate due to me constantly swapping between cooing caringly to Maggie and swearing. What will tomorrow bring?!

Another 5 egg day today.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

That was a worry, naughty Maggie! You know you could always put a soundtrack over the **** in the videos +f+
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

I might just do that if I can get the videos to upload to photobucket, it seems to reject them at random!
Yesterday, we let the girls out into the front garden-which is actually an area about 10ft x 15ft of unkept, very long grass that's full of bugs (which the back garden has been completely stripped of). After some VERY Cautious steps out of the back gate, they found a new world of exploring! We left them there for ten minutes and then herded them back into the usual area. Left the back gate open as I was pottering about and 2 minutes later they brazenly just wondered straight back out! As the weather is so good at the moment I will probably come up with a makeshift fence later and let the organic mowers do their thing out there this afternoon! Here's a couple of pics from yesterday, will probably have a few more to add later!

Also, yesterday and today we found 4eggs when we have been getting 5. This morning, my arguably better half discovered this;

Rosie was in there with two eggs! She isn't broody, but she has obviously found herself a private little hole in behind my fennel....and weeds. She must be laying late too as one of the eggs was warm and we didn't let them into the garden until 8am.

Funny little weirdos!
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

So they had another day of sunshine with us at home so they got free rein of whatever the spoilt tykes wanted! They are water snobs and refuse to have a bath unless they have nice clean water. Well all except Sally, she will spend every possible minute in any water given the chance.

We let them have a few hours in the front garden again, they couldn't be happier with all the undisturbed grass and insects in there.

I don't want to curse it but the weather has been incredible for the last couple of days, fingers crossed it continues for the week as predicted! I sat outside for three hours this afternoon sanding a slice of oak and it felt positively tropical!
Chookaholic
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chookaholic »

lovely pics of your girls yet again....

The weather is glorious at the moment isnt it?

I giggled at the thought of you digging under your shed then going through the videos and saying "cant use that...cant use that either "..... {rofwl} bet you never got a thanks for it neither :-D

Nice to know ducks sneak of to lay too..... sometimes i wonder if they thinks its an easter egg hunt or just do it to watch us walk round the garden rooting ...little madams
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

They have such a lovely garden to destroy, love love love these ducks )t' Brown bins? We dont have brown bins, what are they for?

Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Sandy, the brown bins are for garden waste, they have been super useful as they also take away messy bedding and duck poop! There's just too much to compost. Unfortunately, I'm moving to a different area, and the local council don't have those brown bins.
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

So I haven't posted in my diary in a couple of weeks. No real reason, plenty of antics from the girls on a daily basis and they are laying like absolute egg factories at the moment, good girls! We are still letting them potter around the front garden from time to time, but now they will stand at the back gate desperately hoping for us to open it!
Cindy has taken to sleeping RIGHT outside the patio door. Exactly the same spot every day when they decide to nap. Here she is
And another of nap time/stretch time, they do this stretch quite often but also one we call the 'ballerina' stretch. They will tilt forward and stretch out one wing and leg out straight, horizontal, directly behind themselves. I will try to get a picture of it soon.

Here's Sally, disguising herself as a distinguished, moustache wearing gentleman.

And finally a video of them reluctantly being sent back inside the garden......hope it works.

So far we have had 101 eggs this month! Quite ridiculous really! I guess that allows me to look at breeds of chicken that are not heavy layers....will probably still end up with ex-batty or hybrids, but at least my options are open.