Chalet Girl's Girls

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Re: Chalet Girl's Girls

Post by chaletgirl »

HenPen wrote: I could do with some Pilates training in a nice chalet instead of a freezing cold village hall (which put me right off) but that's a bit of a long way to come!

LOL Yes I'd agree it's too far to come for Pilates! Too bad about the cold hall! I also teach in a sports hall and am always in early to make sure the heating is on in the winter. Cold rooms are not good for my clients!

chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

I've named the red one Ginny, The grey is Mouse and I think the speckled one is Pepper (for now)

Ginny let me pick her up twice yesterday!

No eggs yet but no worries and no pressure!

Our Kitty "Miss. Marple" checking out the new arrivals

Oh look! There are SPIDERS to chase in the bark!!

I'm off to London for the weekend! I hope my guys look after the girls well! I feel bad because they will have to be in their run for most of Friday. They already ask to free range every morning! Ginny is the ring leader and she pecks at the door trying to get out!
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Love all the names - they're perfect. Do hope your cat doesn't get any ideas about Mouse!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

What lovely girls )t' You will find you will spend HOURS watching them
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

HenPen wrote:Love all the names - they're perfect. Do hope your cat doesn't get any ideas about Mouse!
:-D

Miss Marple (our cat) has a dicky ticker so knows she's not up to tackling the girls...She's been interested but so far keeping her distance. Wise girl that she is.

We did have trouble with our Choc. Lab. chasing the hens. I could see that she went right into predator mode!! It was a STUPID mistake on my part but I was there and handled it. No chickens were harmed. I've since limited her freedom in the garden and have been REALLY stern with her about the chickens....I don't trust her but she does know that she isn't to chase them.

Unfortunately she now likes to follow them around like feathery pez dispensers Image

I don't know if it's bad for her to eat chicken poop but she sure loves it...Gross!
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

The names Mouse and Pepper stay but the red hen is now Miss Kitty...she's gutsy and a red head and the one most ready for adventure.

Miss Kitty has given us five eggs so far. The other two haven't laid yet. Should I be worried? I've checked the garden for eggs...nothing.

Anyway...enjoying the girls immensely and Hubby was the one to find the first egg...we let them out a couple of hours each day. They now ask to go out when they see me in the garden. LOVE THEM!!!
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Miss Kitty, was that Gunsmoke?
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Miss Marple is a brilliant name for a cat!

I wouldn't worry about your non laying girls, they might just have decided with all the stresses of moving to have a bit of a rest. I assume they are old enough to lay. There's a possibility they may have found or made a little nest somewhere hidden away so do keep your eyes out in case you find anything in the garden, but if not I'm sure they'll start laying when they feel like it again. Hens can be very single minded - you'll find out! .ang.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

HenPen wrote:Miss Kitty, was that Gunsmoke?

YUP!!! Showing my age now :-D
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

KarenE wrote:Miss Marple is a brilliant name for a cat!

It's a great name for her!! She's SO smart!!! She stays well away from our busy road and hunts in the fields behind our house. She's also a very good judge of character )t'
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

Oh...I forgot to say that we got TWO! Eggs today...I think that Pepper gave us one early this afternoon...the egg was darker and smaller than Miss Kittys' :-D
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

I've been SO busy with the 'girls'! Their coop was too small so I found a used Wendy house and made some changes to it so the girls have plenty of room and are safe at night.

I cut a hole in the bottom of the door and installed their automatic door in it...
Image[/url]20140622_105534 by Delana Loevbak, on Flickr[/img]

A couple of unused storage boxes from IKEA are now nesting boxes.....I've got paving slabs all around the outside of the house and sand on the floor makes cleaning easy.
Image[/url]20140622_114206 by Delana Loevbak, on Flickr[/img]

The back window now has a double bolt on it and makes an easy access for collecting eggs. Two sides of the house are outside of the fence so I can collect the eggs and open an East facing window without going inside their run.
Image[/url]20140622_114321 by Delana Loevbak, on Flickr[/img]

I double secured the mesh with a wooden frame on the inside of the windows. I can open up two windows so the girls will have ample ventilation.
Image[/url]20140622_114340 by
Delana Loevbak, on Flickr[/img]

The girls have given their new digs 5 stars!!! :-D

I'm pretty proud of this! It's pretty and very nice for the hens. They still get out to wreak havoc in the garden )w(
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Oh it's gorgeous. Is there room for me?
chaletgirl
Lively Laner

Post by chaletgirl »

HenPen wrote:Oh it's gorgeous. Is there room for me?

Sure! :-D The girls will make you real welcome!!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

What a fantastic set up, looks like a motel with the nice big house too )t' Hope the henpals dont sneak a look! Your ladies are so gorgeous and so lucky :-D
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/