Ambers diary.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Ambers diary.

Post by KarenE »

I wonder if they are about to move into a little moult? My Remie and Casper were Point-of-Lay when I got them, and Casper's been moulting very slowly for a while now, and Remie's losing the odd feather. Casper's also stopped laying. Could be that age where they start to lose a few feathers?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Karen.
It might be due to moulting as there have been a few feathers laying about the run.
Marigold did moult a few feathers over a few months not long back and has only just started to look presentable and not "scraggy" looking. maybe she has started again bless her.
Amber.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Morning all.
Just a quick up date while i have a few minutes. The girls are still on strike re the egg laying. I had one on Friday and one shell less, so the girls had that, none yesterday and so far today one and one shell less again. I am not sure of the reason why, it could be all four are on a mini moult as the odd few feathers are in the run or maybe the hot weather.I have checked for red mite but can't see any signs of them.
Just to be on the safe side i have added Limestone flour to the feed and Poultry tonic to their water but no improvement yet.
Its not necessary the amount they are laying but am worried about the softie's as i don't want them rupturing inside them for obvious reasons.
The dynamics of the flock haven't changed after losing Daisy, Lily is still top girl and Ruby bless her still at the bottom.
They were out FR all afternoon yesterday "gardening" and re shaping the lawn for me and then when it got too hot they went for a snooze down the side of the house in the shade.
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Good to hear Lily and her gang are doing well )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

I am feeling a bit over whelmed at the moment. Lily and Marigold seemed to be taking it in turns of showing signs of illness, it is Lily's turn today. She has been spending quite a while in the nest box of late so i assumed (rightly or wrongly) that she was starting to become broody so after an hour i turfed her out only for her to keep going back in with Marigold joining her and when i tried again to get both of them out Marigold started pecking me. I eventually got both of them out and shut the coop door.
I thought that was it but Lily has been standing around and sleeping a lot today. She is eating but not as much as usual. They were wormed a few weeks ago and their poo seems normal.
They both are laying a lot of softees so maybe Lily is gearing up for that. She may have laid one this morning as she had egg yolk on her comb.
I am giving them Limestone flour, Cod liver oil and poultry tonic in their water. Is there anything else i have missed that i should be doing?
I don't know if this would have stress them but we have had new people move into the house that backs on to us and they have a child that screams all day and a couple of Terrier dogs that cry and bark when they are shut in the garden, which is quite often
and can go on for hours. {mr.angry}
Sorry for moaning but needed to "talk" to someone that understood how i felt.
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Amber

Sorry to hear Marigold and Lily aren't well. Perhaps you're right and the dog barking is stressing them out a bit. I'm not sure what else you can do about the softies above what you're doing already. Maybe a bigger moult is coming?

Is Lily still eating okay?
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Karen.
Lily is still eating but not with the same gusto as normal, having said that she did eat some apple and cucumber this morning but seems quieter in herself. I couldn't find any evidence of any softees laid overnight.
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh Amber I do hope your girls are better tonight? Karen is right stress can really affect them. Please keep us upto date >fi<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Karen and Sandy.
Lily seemed slightly better yesterday but no where near her normal self.
Cleaning the coop this morning in the spot Lily sleeps (they don't roost) was a large soft shelled egg which i gave back to them, Lily had a few pecks at it and a Lash. She has eaten some meal worms and sunflower seeds this morning and has now taken herself off to stand under the shrub in the run, the same spot they all go to when under the weather.
I am hoping now she has passed these she will start to improve.
Marigold seems back to normal )like(
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw Amber I am getting a few 'sick girls' and then a softie comes or a lash , maybe its the weather upsetting them I mean one day they are sunbathing and the next sheltering from the wind and rain!

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Lily seems nearly back to normal but her and Marigold are moulting more now, Marigold is the worst.
It has affected the amount of eggs they are laying and the quality. I have to be really careful picking them up or the shells break they are so thin and i often find one in the nest box that has broken before i can get to it and the girls have taken advantage and eaten it.
I am feeding more sunflower seeds and meal worms as treats to help solve the problem and tonight they will be having sardines in tomato sauce for tea (with added cod liver oil and limestone flour).
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It's good to hear the girls are okay and it's nothing more serious than a moult, even though it makes them pretty miserable. Mine are the same, softies when they lay and definitely not as often. Poultry spice might be good too?

At least they will have lovely feathers!
Karen
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello all.
The girls all seem fine at the moment apart from them all moulting and looking really scruffy.
Mollie and Ruby still insist on sleeping on the roof of the coop instead of in it. I was worried there was red mite inside, even though it is a plastic coop so had a good look in all the cracks and crevices as well as the ends of the perch that is in there, even thought they don't use it and found nothing, bearing in mind Lily and Marigold both sleep inside.
I did try and put them in on a few nights but they just came straight out again and sat on the roof. (I leave the coop door open as it gets hot inside in the summer).
Egg production did increase for a few days but we are down to just 1 a day now. I am sure one of them is laying soft shell eggs again as a few mornings when i have gone to let them into the outside runs there is yolk running off of the roof.
The little madams are laying in the flower beds and having a dust bath at the moment and generally enjoying life while the sun is out.
I hope every ones girls and boys are well.
Amber.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I have agirls who perches outside watching the garden etc. It is safe as I can make it and it is not to cold ,so let her get on with it. She is happy.
If your girls are safe then I would not get to concerned. Chickens do their own thing and cannot be persuaded diferent . enjoy the good weather.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh Amber they will sleep where they want to wont they }hairout{ So glad to hear all your girls are well and happy )like(