Ambers diary.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Ambers diary.

Post by sandy »

Amber I am so sorry to read you have lost Marigold. She had the bestest life with you and didn't have to suffer when her time had come thanks to your loving care {hug&kiss} And you make sure you look after yourself xxxxx
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Thank you for your kind words and "hugs".
Even though it was the right decision for Marigold it is still hard.
Amber.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Lily has laid an egg today the 1st one since she stopped a good few months ago. It is a good size with a good shell :-D
Amber
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lily is probably showing Sophie and Pippa that she is ALL hen {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi Thank you , I think E G will need all the help from everywhere.
Bob
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

I had hurt my ankle last Monday and was unable to spend any time with the girls until Yesterday when i could at last walk on it.
All 3 seemed to have settled down now, Pippa has been accepted into the flock and does not seem to be missing Sophie. She laid her first egg yesterday followed by another today :-D .They are small but perfectly formed.
I think something in the garden must have spooked them this evening as they were making a hell of a noise and would not go back into their run even with a trail of treats.
Sophie eventually went in then i had to catch the other two and put them in. They wouldn't go into the coop either but had settled on top so i have now gone down and popped them in as i don't want them getting cold in the night.
I think the rats may be back and one may have been in the run.
Amber.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Morning all.
The girls are officially now on "lock down" and they are not happy yike* .
I am waiting for some netting, to be delivered (should be here by Tuesday) to put over the outside part of the run as the wire i have on there at the moment has holes large enough to let the smaller birds in.
I gave them a good clean out today giving the floor of the outside run a scrub with Jeyes fluid and spread loads of Stalosan F over the soil part.
I am not taking any chances with my luck this year.
These next few weeks are going to drag for the girls so i am racking my brains (won't take long!) to think of things i can do for them to keep them occupied.
Hope every ones girls and boys are all well.
Amber.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Come up with any please share . 48 in flock now so need plenty to amuse . Leaves will not last long .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

I'm going to be haunting the reduced to clear section in the supermarkets for cheap fruit & veg. Grapes in particular. I saw a Facebook post a while ago where someone had stuck a xylophone to the wall and their chickens were having a great old time tapping on it. I'm also going to move some leaves into there so they've got something to scrat around in.

Good idea about the stalosfan f, must do that tomorrow.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Morning.
I hope everyone had a good Christmas and a happy New Year.
I am not sure if Lily is just cold or not well. She has been standing around hunched up, her tail is up and her comb is red but something is not right.
She is eating and drinking but her poo is dark green. At first i thought it was because she doesn't like to be shut in the run but i don't think its that. Could it be she is getting on she is 4 1/2 yrs old now?
She is still out with the other girls, do you think i should bring her in?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Amber

Has Lily moulted?
Have you done other checks ie her crop etc etc?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Karen.
Lily has been moulting with a fair bit of feather loss a few weeks ago, but to look at her you would think not. She is still shedding the odd feather.
I have felt her crop this afternoon and it felt full and slightly harder than Mollie's. I must admit i am not really sure what i am looking for, i will check it again in the morning when she gets up before eating.
She is still eating but not with the same gusto as before. I will give her until the weekend and if there is not improvement i think it will be another vet trip.
I have just heard that they need to be locked in until the end of Feb. Pippa seems to be going stir crazy after only 30 days i don't know how she will cope for that amount of time.
Amber.
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Thinking of you and hoping Lily gets better soon {hug}
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Thank you HenPen.
I have felt Lily's crop this morning first thing and it is the same size as last night and feels hard so i think she may have an impacted crop. I will make an appointment for today at the vets and hope i have caught it in time.
Amber.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

I took Lily to the vets and saw Gail, who seems quite knowledgeable about chickens.
She gave her a good look over starting from the beak down, including an internal examination.
Nothing was obvious but Lily was tender around the kidney area and ovaries but had no egg inside her. I have been given Tylan to put in the water for 5 days and see how things go.
Her feathers at the back were covered in poop so she has had 2 baths in the last 2 days and some extra treats to keep her strength up. I think it will be a case of wait and see.
Amber.