Ambers diary.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Ambers diary.

Post by KarenE »

Oh it's the season for it now Amber. Dory Grey is a right state, and I think Tiddly is starting again as I'm finding big ginger feathers in the garden. Bless them they do suffer with it. But on the positive side, this means mealworms, sunflower seeds and gasp!! Sardines!!! Hope Mollie perks up {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

I felt sorry for her today so went and bought half a pint of white maggots from the fishing shop and gave them all some.
Rosey wasn't too sure and was watching them wriggling about and only started to eat them after Roxy dived in.
Funny girls.
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I remember I had to buy maggots for Amanda-Jayne but was told to pop them in their mouths, cannot remember why?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

All the other girls seem fine at the moment. Pippa is feeling very heavy, but she does like her food.
They are all starting to roost about 7pm now so once it gets dark i go down and put them inside the coop and change the waters and sweep the run. I can settle down for the evening once i know they are catered for.
Amber.[/quote]
I am exactly the same can finally relax and get into jimjams when girlies all locked up, mine and the Peds take until 7.20 to get to bed, have to wait until really darkish or Rita and Lil Ped wont stay put, so now I am sacrificing Emmerdale, last week it was corrie, yes my girls dictate what telly I see
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

I spent last weekend winter proofing the run and have put a big clear tarpaulin over the top and half way down the front to protect the inner run from the wind and rain.
Mollie is moulting badly and has lost at least half of her feathers. She is covered in purple spray and had sudocream spread on her back as the other girls had made her back bleed.
(Thanks for the help Sandy). She must be very sore as she is keeping away from the rest of the girls and spends alot of the time sitting in the corner protected from the wind.
I have been giving them fish and peas to up the protein along with extra meal worms and sunflower hearts.
We may have a mouse problem as i found one in the food bowl, it was not there when i put the bowl out in the morning but appeared about half an hour later. The girls must have killed it and left it there for later, then later on in the day i heard a noise and saw Pippa running around the run with a baby mouse in her mouth with the others in hot pursuit. She had soon swallowed it. I have not seen any since but am sure they are about.
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Good to hear Mollie is getting better, bless her {hug} mice are cute, especially to the girls but try and get rid of them as rats will follow yike*

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

How are the girls Amber?

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Sandy.
The girls are all good at the moment and long may it last!
Mollie is now growing new feathers. she still looks a bit scruffy but no more bare skin. I can still see a few feathers that are still purple colour after i sprayed her with anti peck spray, it must be the seasons new look {rofwl}
I have had to resort to putting the bait box down in the shed again as i am sure i have mice, there are alot of droppings near the food storage boxes and i don't want to be over run with them.
3 out of 5 of them are putting themselves into the coop at night with the other 2 sleeping on top until i go down after dark and pop them in. It gives me a chance to have a cuddle with who is sitting on top so there is a plus side. They are going to bed at about 6.30pm now. The egg count has started to go down in the last week from 4 most days to between 1 and 3, so the early nights are starting to take there toll.
I hope you and all your girls are well.
Amber.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Amber - Glad to hear your girls are all happy and well and like you say, long may it last. My girls are going to bed just after 6:00pm now and getting up later so at least I have time for a cup of tea before the demanding madams start shouting me.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

regarding the girls getting ill from eating mouse, none of mine or the Peds have had any ill effects. Lottie and Dottie have the disgusting habit of eating the mouse's head and leaving the body yike* There is a cute little big eared one in the Peds at the moment, having mice means you do not have any rats but unfortunately rats can follow they can work out where the mice are getting , kill them then take over so nice food in traps is the best way, Kitty usually takes any intruders she catches for a car ride !

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Amber update please, sooooo long since we have heard about your lovely little brood {warn}

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Morning all.
I am sorry i have been bit lapse keeping up with my diary, but i have been reading all the other members updates.
All the girls seem well at the moment and long may it last. Mollie has grown her feathers all back now, she has some still tinged with purple spray from back when the others were pecking at her. Her comb is a bit pale but i don't think she has laid for a while now, so i am putting it down to that.
They all put themselves to bed IN the coop for the first time on Wednesday night. They haven't done that for ages. I normally have to wait until they have roosted on top (apart from Lola who always goes in to roost) and then go and pop them in one by one. I don't mind as it gives me a chance to give them a cuddle before they go to bed.
I spent last weekend finishing off putting the clear tarpaulin over the outer part or their run so it stays nice and dry when it rains. They can now stay snoozing on the branch and in the dust bath and not have to run for cover every time it rains.
I hope every ones girls and boys are well.
Amber.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Evening all.
The snow arrived this morning and the girls were a bit scared to come out of the inner run to start with.
I went down to them first thing just as the snow started and as it had been raining just before there were pools of water on the tarpaulin on the roof of the outer run.
Thinking I would not be out for long I was wearing my nightie and dressing gown with a jacket over the top, I pushed up on the tarpaulin to clear the water and you can guess what happened next.....
Yes I was soaked in about 2 buckets worth of freezing cold water. I was only going to poo pick but the state of the coop needed a good clean so I did that giving them a lot of straw to snuggle down into tonight. By the time I had finished I was freezing.
Note to self make adjustments to roof covering. {rofwl}
Roxy was on top of the coop again when I went to shut them in this evening so she had a cuddle and was put inside. Since being broody she is bottom hen and may be they are not letting her in.
I hope everyone's boys sand girls are well.
Amber.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

aha - nighti, dressing gown & coat! and wellies I presume? Sounds like a mad chicken ladies' uniform to me! I wear the same uniform in the mornings.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi improvement on my night clothes don't wear them.......
wish I did one trip , if not cursing the boys at least 3 times .
Bob