Ambers diary.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Re: Ambers diary.

Post by amber66 »

Morning all.
We have gained Daisy to our flock of girls and she has now been accepted by the others, especially Molly and Lily.
You have probably already read on another thread that we had a few problems with her to start with. After being on the medication for a week she has a new lease for life and enjoys nothing more than strolling around the garden in the sunshine and giving Marigold and Ruby a quick peck if they pass by to closely, i think she is working her way up the "pecking order".
Lily seems to be back to her usual self and is keeping everyone in order and is always first in line for any treats on offer, but i am still keeping a close eye on her just in case.
Marigold has had her beak put out of joint with the addition of Daisy, she used to be 2nd in charge but i think Daisy has taken that spot now and it seems to have upset Marigold a bit as she seems a bit lost at times and was pushed out of her usual nest box that she sleeps in by Daisy and spent a couple of nights on top of the coop, but now has at least moved back inside at night. She did have a couple of days of laying shell less eggs but i think that may of been down to stress over Daisy. I have upped the limestone flour and added Poultry tonic to their water so i am hoping that will help her.
Molly and Ruby are all fine, i don't think anything worries them they always seem happy and have such gentle natures.
We allowed our two Labs in the garden with the girls at the weekend (under strict supervision) and it all went well. I don't think the girls were over keen and took themselves back into the run after a while, but little steps.
Amber.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Such good news about Daisy )like( Funny how she is trying for second in command , Olive tried that and succeeded in jumping a place over Iris but not over 3rd in command Deirdre. It will be interesting for you to see how it all shapes up in the pecking order.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Everyone has settled down now and seem one big happy family (and long may it continue).
The girls have been free ranging all day over the weekend and enjoyed themselves no end, the holes in my lawn are proof of that yike .
They are happy when the dogs are in the garden now, one of the labs loves being with them and likes to lay on the lawn just watching them.
I have ordered some pellets with wormer as i saw one in either Molly's or Ruby's poo's, i wormed them not long ago with the half a grape method. Daisy will not eat treats from my hand yet so i have resorted to pellets so they all get dosed up.
Daisy had to have another bath on Monday as her back end was caked again in poo and red and sore, so it was bathed in Epsom salts and covered in Sudocreme, she is such a good girl she just stands still and lets me do it, i expect it makes her feel better. Her poo's are a bit odd at times they seem runny and a light brown colour, i am hoping it is just the medication she is on and nothing else wrong with her but i will keep a close eye on proceedings.
One of the girls has decided to lay in the run and not the nest boxes, i think it may be Ruby as she used to be pushed out of the coop by Daisy and her and Molly sleep on top of the coop at night. There was a shell less egg in the coop on Friday so i have been adding Limestone flour to there feed again to try and keep it under control and yesterday i have 4 perfect eggs from the girls.
I hope every ones girls, and boys are well.
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Good to hear Daisy is doing well, she is still on meds?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Sandy.
Yes Daisy is still on the meds. The vet thinks it is her kidneys that are a concern and if so she will be on them for the rest of her life. I must admit she seems like a different chicken now, she is eating well and mixing in with the others, where before she would just stand in the corner puffed up, not eating and not interested in life at all.
It is lovely to see her a lot happier and if she has to have the meds for ever then i don't mind it is just part of the routine now, but she is getting to know and is off like a flash when she sees me in the morning and evening and it looks like a Benny Hill comedy with me chasing her round the garden trying to catch her. {rofwl}
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Amber, can't you mix it in with her food? You just have to figure out how to seperate her from the others while she eats it. I mix Casper's meds into cat food, scrambled egg or whatever else she'll eat. She comes into the kitchen with the others and has learned to hang back while I get the others out and then happily eats her meds.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Aw Amber bless little Daisy {hug} Lucky lucky girl she has got a good home with you, can I ask what the meds are?

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Sandy.
She is on Frusol solution 1ml twice a day via syringe. The vet said it was a diuretic to disperse the fluid build up in her abdomen as her kidneys were not working properly.
Amber.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

I had a good clean of the coop and run this afternoon as the girls will be shut in for a week while they are being wormed. Its going to be hard not to give in when they start demanding their treats but i know it is for their own good.
Lily has not laid today she was in the nest box for about an hour and then came out for a wander round the garden then stood really still and was staring into space. Her vent was pulsating with a little dribble of yellowish goo. This lasted for about 2 minutes then she was back to her normal self again.
I have added Limestone flour to their treats tonight and Poultry spice to the water just to be on the safe side in case there is a softee brewing.
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Amber how is Lily today? I would check her vent very closely re the yellow goo just to be on the safe side. Of course she may have made a yolky egg with no shell, glad she has perked up but better to be safe {hug}

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Sandy.
Lily seems ok today apart from a dirty rear end so i may give her a bath later today so she can dry off in the sun.
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Lily still okay Amber? I hear from through the grapevine ( yes one of my girls who will remain nameless, the brown noser that she is) says Lily has had Marigold doing her posts

amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Sandy.
Thanks for asking yes Lily is fine at the moment. Her shells seem a little thin and she is not laying every day but is still bossing everyone about, eating and drinking with her tail up.
I ask the same question every morning to my OH as he is the one who is up at the crack of dawn to let them out, "did all 5 come out this morning" and wait with baited breath for the answer.
I have been posting under Marigolds name as she seems to be getting up to more things than the rest (and i have a soft spot for her +f+ ).
Amber.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello all.
Daisy has not been doing too well these last couple of days. She has swelled up with fluid again and her breathing sounds crackly. She is eating but nowhere as much as she normally does.
I have upped her meds hoping this will help and booked her in to see the vet on Monday morning. I have a feeling they may say this is the end and she may not improve this time, i really hope not as i have come to love her.
I have given her a bath in epsom salts, dosed her with Nutri drops and given her some scrambled egg white which she ate a little of. Is there any thing else i can do for her?
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Oh Amber, poor little Daisy. Lucy Ped had the same problem, she was drained twice but Chris the vet pointed out it wouldn't stop her filling up again so I think both you and I will be going to the vets on monday for sad news {hug&kiss} but we must do what is best for our girls. You have given your Daisy a great life Amber, I will be thinking of you this weekend, we are both in the same situation, I am afriad I have already started on the wine! {hug&kiss}