Ambers diary.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Re: Ambers diary.

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Amber. Mary seemed to pick up a little Weds/Thurs and started to eat a little. I decided to see how she goes over the weekend. I am keeping everything crossed. Thanks for asking.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hey Amber, how are you doing? And how's the flock? So sorry to hear about Lily {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Amber - How are you and your flock doing? All's well I hope. Mary had a lovely weekend last weekend. She was eating well and dustbathing - so lovely to see after her "blip". Keeping everything crossed that she carries on this way. I tend to get a bit paranoid as they get a little older (although Mary is only just over 2 years old). Just realised that Violet and Rose will be 1 year old this month.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Karen and Cheshire chick.
Molly and Pippa seem fine at the moment. They did seem to be missing Lilly the first couple of days but have settled down now.
I have been in a bit of a quandary these last few days and have still not made up my mind.
With only having the 2 hens now i am worried if i lost one the other one will be on her own.
1, Do i get some more now and keep them in a separate coop and run.
2. Or wait until the lock down is over and then get some more?
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oooh that is a tricky one. Can you do intros in the run ie can you divide it or knock together some other arangement? I wish we knew for sure whether they were lifting the ban or not.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Amber. It would be nice for you to get 2 more girls. When I only had Mary I got my 2 youngsters and kept them in a separate run made up a temporary coop out of a dog crate. I used chicken wire to separate the run area so they could all see each other. I must say this did work very well and I think they were all integrated and living together after 2 weeks. Let us know what you decided - good luck.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Morning all.
I am still deliberating with regard to when to add to the flock, i am a Libra and can never make up my mind!
I used to use a dog crate as a temp coop Cheshire chick, but it would have to be in the area that is not covered (a big tree in the way) so that part of the run is shut off and there is not enough room in the other part of the run to put it as the other coop gets in the way.
If i did decide to get some more i would need to put the old coop and run back together and place that on the patio.
The girls are being wormed this week and are not happy with not only being shut in the run with no free ranging but also no treats yike* . They are fighting back and not laying so often.
I do hope this lock down is lifted by the end of the month.
Amber.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Amber, Worming seems to be on the agenda this week in the Forum - I think I might leave it a while, because as you say, NO TREATS no FREE RANGE. What do you normally use to worm your girls? I have always used Flubenvet pellets, but am never sure that they are eating enough as they don't seem keen on them (it's as if they know!!). Mary's having a big moult at the moment - just started on Saturday, feathers everywhere so I'll let her get over this first.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Amber - How's the flock doing - are you still worming? Wondered if you had made any decisions yet about adding to your girls. Hope you have a nice weekend.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Amber how are you and the girls doing - hope that all is well. Have you got any new girls yet?
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Hello Cheshire chick.
Thank you for asking. The girls are ok at the moment but getting fed up being cooped up, excuse the pun.
I am in a so called high risk area near the coast in Essex. I haven't heard any reports of any cases in Essex at all but i am still unsure as what to do re the new girls.
I am a little confused as if i am allowed to acquire any new girls under the DEFRA regulations or not.
I think i will wait until the end of the month to see what the upshot is and go from there.
I hope you and your girls are coping with the lock down alright.
Amber.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I dont think there'd be a problem getting new chooks if you're not in a "controlled zone" around somewhere where there's been an outbreak. But you're right its probably best to wait, the advice might change next week!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Amber- I think this whole Avian flu thing is confusing. As far as I am aware, I am not in a controlled area so I am hoping for freedom for the girls soon. To be fair, they have been very good and I think they have got used to being in their run now (don't get shouted at half as much as I used to!!). Yes you are probably wise to wait, hopefully it will not be too much longer. Glad everyone is OK.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

The girls were very scared yesterday in the storm, especially Pippa who was screeching at the top of her voice for most of the day.
Mollie was just running around in circles not really knowing what to do.
When i got in from work at about 10.30am i shut them in the inside run as it is well protected before i went back out. I am glad i did as the wind ripped the tarpaulin off the roof of the outside run so they would have been exposed to all sorts. The felt was also pulled off the roof of the shed and that was flying round the garden.
Guess what my jobs will be over the weekend! }hairout{
I hope everybody else is safe and getting back to normal.
Amber.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

I have just finished separating the run and putting a temporary coop in the outside part as i am hoping to pick up 3 new girls tomorrow. They will be next to Mollie and Pippa but will be separated by the wire door. I hope this works as i intend to keep them like this to make sure everyone is in good health for about 2 weeks before intros.
Intros are the bit i hate!
Amber.