Ambers diary.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Re: Ambers diary.

Post by amber66 »

Evening all.
At last i have a few minutes to myself so i thought i would do a catch up.
All the girls are happy at the moment. Roxy is still broody, but she does come out of the nest occasionally on her own to eat and drink. The only trouble then is the others do pick on her a bit. I hope this is a sign she may be coming out of it soon.
Mollie seems a little slow in her every day life, i hope it is that she is getting on a bit now. She is still eating and drinking with a good comb colour so i will be keeping a close eye on her.
Lola has taken second place in the pecking order now but i am sure she is thinking about becoming broody as she seems to spend more than the average time on the nest snuggled up with Roxy.
Pippa is still top hen and keeping order.
That leaves Rosie, bless her, she is in a little world of her own and just gets on with doing "chicken things" through the day. She is still bottom hen but has learnt to duck and dive to get the treats she wants before getting pecked by Pippa.
I was getting their fruit and veg ready for them this morning for their breakfast and i had a thought, am i the only one who peels a banana and slices it for their hens along with cutting up the fruit in little pieces so they all get a bit? {rofwl}
I hope all is well with every one.
Amber.

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Amber I was peeling fresh home grown garden peas for my fussy madams yesterday, as they wouldn't eat them with the skins on!! So i think slicing & dicing fruit is perfectly normal but just be careful as it's a slippery slope and you may end up like me yike* {rofwl}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Hi Amber, so good to hear Pippa and her girls are doing well, you do realise we are our girls chefs and it is our job to prepare their food to their liking! It is good isnt it went bottom hen is sparky )t'
How are you fixed for the meet up?
Understand if you cant but thought I'd best ask
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Hi Amber,

I'm glad you brought this up. It makes me realise that I'm not the only one that does that kind of thing :-D This morning it was rainy so as soon as I let the girls out for a leg stretch before I go to work they headed into the kitchen. After picking the remains of the cat food I popped down a corn cob and some chard for them to much while I went upstairs to get changed. I then let them out and they followed me back round to the run where they popped in for the day. I love this life. >ch< >ch< >ch<
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hi Amber, so glad your girls are doing well. I liked your comment about the fruit and veg. My first job every morning (after feeding the 3 cats) is to shred their cabbage, cut up their cucumber and tomatoes, apples or pears. I do one lot for the morning and put the second lot in the fridge for their supper. AND that's not to mention scrambling an egg in the microwave for a treat later. So, believe me, you are not on your own.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

No , I peel the bananas Cut the cabbage up into small pieces . I started doing this as they then ate all the stem as well . Rather than leave the hard bits. I mean why would you it the non best bits if you can get more of the better parts . I raised the water bowls etc up so they do not even have to bend down . I even break up the dirt so they do not hurt their claws on the hard stuff. Now I get new instructions every day on where and when they want their food.
Literally from (before) dawn to ( well after ) dusk.
Bob
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Morning all.
I think Roxy may be coming out of her broody faze at last. She is spending more time out of the coop now and coming out on her own without me having to turf her out. >fi<
They all had a day out free ranging on the patio this week and spent it eating all the veg that was left in the planter and sunbathing on the step or just inside the lounge near the patio door (don't tell the OH)!
I hope the meet up goes ok on the 9th. I am gutted i can't make it, work and other commitments, but will be thinking of you. )piicy(
Amber.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Never mind Amber, hopefuly we'll meet at the next one. Maybe we should have a Christmas meet-up?

Good to hear Roxy is pulling out of her moult. These silly girls waste the whole summer! Good to hear the flock seem to be doing well )t'
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Roxy is no longer broody )app( but has started to moult, not full on but the odd one every now and again.
Gave them a good clean out this morning and washed down the slabs in the run as the flies were starting to appear.
Roxy is being picked on a bit by Mollie and Lola but she is still eating and drinking, i think they must be re assessing the pecking order again. Poor Rosie is still bottom.
They had sardines in tomato sauces with peas and mealworms for tea as i am trying to build Roxy up again, she has lost some weight since being broody.
)ot: I spent all day yesterday putting up a green house with the help of some friends, it said in the instruction it should take 3 hours and 2 people to erect. It took an hour to understand the instruction before we started and another 5 hours to erect. It seems a bit flimsy so i hope when we get bad winds this winter it is still standing. Never again.
Amber.
stripeddonkey
Lively Laner

Post by stripeddonkey »

Hi Amber,

I hope your greenhouse does withstand the winter. It's great having one. I had a flimsy aluminium and poly-carbonate one and it lasted a few years but was a bit of a sorry state eventually. As luck would have it one winter a night of gale force winds flattened it. I claimed my house insurance and bought a potting shed instead. Windows and a bench down one side so I can grow on seedlings, etc and lots of storage. But that was after a few years so hopefully you'll have plenty of growing seasons to enjoy with it. :-D
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I know what you mean Amber about erecting a greenhouse. They are not easy at all. I have had mine years now but it took my husband and son hours and hours to erect - understanding the instructions was a mission in itself. Glad your girls are OK - sounds like your spoiling them with sardines in tomato sauce (don't they love that though??!!).
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

Its been a few weeks so i thought while i have the time i will catch up.
Roxy is now back to normal and is not being picked on any more, so that must mean she is back where she was in the pecking order.
Mollie is a little quieter these days and is taking herself off to bed earlier than the rest. She is also spending a while in the nest box during the day, i am not sure if she is still laying. Her crop and wattles are still a nice colour so hopefully just a blip.
They were all wormed last week, they wouldn't eat the pellets until they had been through the blender then they wolfed them down, little monkeys.
I gave them a good clean out at the weekend and changed all the wood chip on the run floor ready for the bad weather. I have also bought a clear tarp to cover part of the outside run and down the front. This should help keep the wind out and them dry. It will also work if they have to be covered again because of the AI.
)ot: The greenhouse survived the bad winds the other night (i was awake most of the night worrying about it) so that was a relief.
I hope every ones girls and boys are well.
Amber.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

You blended their pellets {rofwl} Amber just add water and mush them up, goodness you really are a very doting mummy )t' Good to hear they are all well
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Very good to hear everyone is doing well Amber. )t' I am expecting lockdown again this year so good idea to get prepped early this time - at least we all know what to expect this time.
Karen
amber66
Longlasting Laner

Post by amber66 »

I hope i have discovered the reason Mollie was under the weather. She is moulting big time, this is her first moult since we have had her.
I have to pick her up at night to put her inside the coop instead of on top and she feels like a hedgehog bless her. She has only one feather left on her tail and is looking scruffy.
I am feeding extra meal worms and sunflower seeds so i hope that the extra protein will help her.
All the other girls seem fine at the moment. Pippa is feeling very heavy, but she does like her food. They are all starting to roost about 7pm now so once it gets dark i go down and put them inside the coop and change the waters and sweep the run. I can settle down for the evening once i know they are catered for.
Amber.