Pixie's Chix!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Re: Pixie's Chix!

Post by PixieDust »

Sick Pob, she is currently known, is very affectionate. All but Bluebell were in the coop when I came up to lock them away for the night. As soon as she heard me, she jumped of her perch and came running out, much to Blue Pob's dismay. She constantly chatted as I poo picked and then jumped up on the coop. I was still picking when I suddenly found she was on my back :-D

I slowly stood up and she sat on my shoulder chatting for about 20 minutes and played with my hair. Eventually she went to bed but it was a lovely moment. Her tail was a bit low, but her eyes were a little better and she loved a neck tickle. No gasping for breath and no sneezing, but I know this may have been a goodbye, I hope it isn't.

I will be adding garlic to the water tomorrow.
4 Girls Arrive 15th November 2014

PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Still pobbing this morning. Garlic in the water is going down a storm. For today I just added a crushed clove of garlic to warm water. Let it steep for a few minutes and top up with cold. Tonight I will add 2 crushed cloves to hot water and let it steep overnight so it is ready to serve in the morning.

Such cold damp weather for Sick Pob to be dealing with this.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

AwPixie sending a lot of good wishes to Pob, luckily Manda always gives great advice {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

A friend of mine works at a vets and her boss also keeps chickens. She is going to ask his advice and see if her will sell her any Tylan at cost. The other Pobs were a little sneezy today. I have also found a poultry vet who charges £17.95 as a consult fee. So if my friend doesn't have any luck I will take her there.
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Vet appointment booked for Friday.

Emailed the poultry guy who says none of his hens have sniffles or sneezes, Tylan is extremely strong and they cannot catch Mycoplasma as they are vaccinated. He suggests she is allergic to the Aubiose.

Quite surprised about this. I have not blamed him but feel he has to justify himself.
manda

Post by manda »

As far as I know (re the UK) there is a mycoplasma vaccine marketed by Intervet but it is recommended not to use it in breeding birds. All the lit suggests that this is because it appears to be because the manufacturers do not know how long the vaccine is effective.

So whilst they may be vaccinated whether that is actually effective given Myco is neither a virus nor a bacteria - it lies somewhere between the two.

Hopefully the antibiotics will get it to a low level (they won't get rid of it completely because ...well they don't).

After that it's just about keeping them as healthy as you can (but that's what we all do) and keeping their stress to a minimum (but again what we all do). :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

She has been standing like this today

HOWEVER, today they finished worming so I figured some mealworms at 2pm and some mixed corn at 3.30pm just because. Poor girl ain't got much to look forward to at the moment. Anyway, she bolted across the run pushing the others out of her way. Ate very well. I am hoping this bodes well for tomorrow at the vets.

Something I missed out. They have been putting themselves to bed since night 3. Brilliant!

Sussex is squaring up to Bluebell and Columbine. There were a few black feathers in the run and coop. Hoping they are not Sick Pob's.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

She still looks out of sorts doesn't she? The fact that she's still eating is a good sign. She's too young to be coming into a moult isn't she?

Good luck at the vets today, I hope you find out what's wrong with her and get something to help her
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

She was a star at the vets. She was quite bright and pecking the table but fluffed up. He saw the photo I posted here, examined her and said respitory disease. Explain she may not recover, may be a carrier with some outbreaks or may never have another outbreak.

He gave her a shot of Tylan. He wants me to let him know how she is come Monday. She may need a second shot. Apart from that she is very healthy, good weight and a good size.

The other Pobs were very concerned when I bought her back and let her out of the box. She jumped out and hit the food and water and the others looked very surprised. The Sussex and Columbine fronted each other up and that was that.

He thinks the others are fine but if they show symptoms he will give me Tylan to add to the water. He believes they would have shown worse symptoms by now having been in close quarters for 2 weeks.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It sounds like she's fighting it off really well and the tylan will help. As long as the infection doesn't get into her air sac (which is what I think happened with my Nugget) then she'll stand a really good chance.

You should ask Richard to change the name of your diary to Pixie's Pobs :-D
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

He checked her and he said her lungs and air sacs were clear. She was first to bed and off to sleep. Bit of a big day for her. He said to let them have some TLC and mealworms and corn to up the protein and keep them warm.

Fingers crossed.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

She certainly is a beautiful little girl )like( tylan works wonders on respitory problems , sending her lots of >fi< for a full recovery
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Thanks Sandy. She's such a pretty girl and so very friendly. Today when I fed her the mealworms, she, along with the others, craned their necks and I can see her markings are so pretty. I hope she recovers as I want to name them :-D
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

She dust bathed today! Only a small one but still......!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How is Sick Pob doing today Pixie?
Karen