Pixie's Chix!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Pixie's Chix!

Post by PixieDust »

Well I have finished my coursework and indeed my course and now it's all excitement as the Girls arrive on Saturday. The sand floor is down but still requires another couple of bags which OH will get. The coop is creosoted and has been airing for 3 weeks. I am going to have to put mastic along the joins obviously the clear corrugated roof. OH in his infinite wisdom built HIS design without consulting me, which was to be a chicken wire enclosure with a bird netting roof. So he had to adapt the roof and it probably needed better battening but it will suffice.

I am getting 4 hybrid Girls but have 6 reserved which are:

Withy Black (Black Star)
Withy Blue (Bluebell)
Withy Blacktail (Columbian Blacktail)
Withy Sussex (Light Sussex)
Withy Amber (Amber)
Withy Copper (Black Copper Maran)

No idea what any will be like temprement wise. I want to get as black a bird as possible so it all comes down to how nice the Black or Copper are. Will the Black be a leg horn based hybrid?

Not really any other news at present. Will post some run pics later.
4 Girls Arrive 15th November 2014

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Pixie's Chix!

Post by Mo »

Are you (by any chance) getting them from a breeder called Withy?
Sounds as if they are his own hybrids, in which case his website should tell you what the crosses are.
My preference is for Rhode Island Red crosses - Black Rock (or Rhode Rock if not bred by the owner of that trademark name) are beautiful and vary between mostly black the quite ginger. The xRIR are good layers.

Godd luck whatever you choose. How exciting.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Pixie

Oh I bet you can't wait! My top hen is a copper black (which i think is the black star) and is a very sweet girl (with me, not so much with the other girls!). Very chatty, a lap sitter and a good layer. It doesn't matter that much what breed they are as they will all have their own little personalities. You'll love getting to know them! Just be prepared for some less than ladylike behaviour as they settle the pecking order but once they're done they'll be as good as gold.

And keep us updated on your diary! If you're a regular poster and it seems like your girls are having brilliant adventures, you may well even find them recruited into the henpals :-D
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
By Halves
Lively Laner

Post by By Halves »

Ooh hooray it's getting really close now! Look forward to seeing your pictures and hearing all about them.
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Thank you all for you replies.

Mo, I think someone breeds them for him as he gets them in. He does breed his own pure breeds though. Will have to ask him tomorrow.

Well, I had my delivery of 5kg corn yesterday, just to start with. I went and picked up the Aubiose for in the coop and their Marriages layers pellets. I need to pick up 3 hooks and eyes and a parcel containing mixed grit and some mini trugs. It arrived yesterday and I was out so the post office have it.

We are awaiting a delivery of a dustbin with a lid in our local garden centre which give us huge discount. Til it arrives I have a plastic bin which will suffice.

We need more sand for the floor. It's on a membrane so should drain better. OH doesn't have time to fetch any more this week but it'll suffice for now.

Oh what a baptism of fire with this weather! Still even snow, if we get it, will be less of an issue than relentless rain. If I can get through a winter like this, the rest of the year should be a doddle.

We are picking them up at 2pm tomorrow. I guess after choosing and chatting, we should be home 3 - 3.30pm. Should I put them straight in the coop til the morning?

I guess I am so excited I am having doubts about this and my ability to look after them. Last minute nerves and stuff.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, straight in the coop. They may stick their heads out for a quick drink but don't worry if they don't. Shut the pophole when it gets dark and open up in the morning (and you may still be more eager to see them than they will be to come out).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Thanks Mo. I have some mini trugs. I wondered if I should put a bit of food and water in them and put that in the coop and just leave them til morning? Only as a one off, mind.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi

No, don't put food & water in the coop, put it in the run where it will usually be. Make sure you have multiple food & water sources as some hens bidding for top hen may stop the others from feeding and drinking.

When you get them home, pop them into their coop with the door open and leave them to it. They'll need a bit of time & quiet to adapt to their new home. They'll make their own way out.

You may need to swish your finger around in their water just so they get the hint, as they may not recognise the container. They should be fine with food, assuming they're used to pellets.

It'll probably take them a while but they'll eventually come out for a nose and a scratch.

Enjoy them! They're lovely pets, with the bonus of eggs.

Lots of pics and regular diary updates please! )t'
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Ok Karen. Will do.

Well got to the post office and they had shut at 2.15pm }hairout{ Need to go to back in the morning.

Can't believe the day is almost here. )like(
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Have the 'Hens Landed'?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Yes they have. I got a Black Copper Maran, Bluebell, Light Sussex and a rank outsider, a Columbine which is a Cotswold Legbar hybrid. They are all hybrids of course. However our phone line is out and Internet very intermittent so will post some pics when I can.

The Bluebell came "pob pob pobbing" around me whilst I cleaned their litter tray. The Black Copper Maran is very friendly too. The Columbine and Sussex are the most shy. The Sussex is quite flighty. Only one I have not touched. Bit scared of her. The Black Copper put herself to bed. I put the Columbine to bed and OH sorted the other 2.

The dog has been squeaking and screaming to go out all day. He doesn't bark or lunge but excitedly high pitch yelps. He is being let out on the lead at the moment as it's all a novelty. I am working on desensitisation so he can go out and play in the garden whilst they are in the run. Many months hence, methinks!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Sounds lovely, I bet you can't wait to get out in the garden with them. Soon they'll all find their own way to bed.

I am so jealous you got a columbine - such beautiful birds (you should get to know HenPen's Wiggy, who is a Skyline and very similar to columbine's with the legbar heritage I think). My Copper Black is a very friendly girl too, you may even find that you have a lap sitter in there which is very special!

The Sussex will calm down soon enough, especially once she associates you with food and treats. My Coral Nick, Casper, was very flighty when I first got her and still is the shiest of my 3 but has really come out of herself. Just give them a bit of time to adapt and you'll see what they're really like.
Karen
Bridgets Mum
Longlasting Laner

Post by Bridgets Mum »

Ah, first chickens. What a lovely experience. Wishing you the best of luck with them although I'm worried they might just be figments of your imagination. We'll only be sure once you )piicy( or even several dozen pics!
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

They all sound gorgeous so of course we will want to see them asap. First hens are a great adventure and trust me they will all develop their own little personalities. Life will never be the same +f+
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
HenPen
Longlasting Laner

Post by HenPen »

Ooh yes, what do we want? Tons of photos!
When do we want them? Now!!

Please

And I do hope your columbine gives you as much pleasure and hilarity as my Wigs gives me (and none of the worry). Honestly, I think these flighty ones can be such characters and it's hard not to have a soft spot the girl at the bottom of the pecking order. They need a bit of extra love!