Pixie's Chix!

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Re: Pixie's Chix!

Post by PixieDust »

He told me to not bother with vets as well HP.

Very angry. I even told him I didn't blame him and never once asked for money back or help with vets costs. He has a 5 star rating on Google, but having been there I am quite surprised.

The place really stank and there were rats running around us. The girls were crammed into a small wire cage - about 14+ of them. I had no choice with the Sussex and Columbine as they were the only 2 there. I am not one to bemoan people but I was as honest as I could be with him and I feel he let me down.

He poo-pooed the use of Tylan saying it's too strong for chickens and shouldn't be used, and tried saying she had an allergy to Aubiose - "Ah, there's the problem, she's isn't used to that bedding. It'll be an allergy". Never told me what bedding he used so I could try.

I think the birds were just kept in the wire cage as it had food and water pots in. There were other birds in small cages too just sitting on the mud and stacked 2 high. Some bantams and some English game birds.

All my fault. I should have walked away. :oops:
4 Girls Arrive 15th November 2014

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Oh that sounds awful. Disgraceful conditions to keep birds in, even the ex batts are probably kept better than that.

I know some people don't have a choice about where they buy their birds from but if you do, go somewhere else that takes care of their birds.

But on the positive side - your Autumn had a few weeks of being out of there and had a chance to enjoy life even while sick. It sounds like she would've sickened and died in that place, without any attempt to get treatment or care. And you've given your others a fighting chance by getting them out of there too. Did the vet give you any advice about the others?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Pixie I am so sorry you have lost your little Autumn, as has been said she may have only been with you for such a short time but what a lovely time she had being loved and cared for. PLease dont be angry with yourself about buying girls from what seems like a terrible place, you have saved your new little family from there {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Thank you all for your kind words.

Do chickens moarn?

The other 3 are quite subdued and seem a bit scared of me, especially if I pick them up like they will be next.

Realise now how small she was.
manda

Post by manda »

I don't know if they mourn in the same way we do but they will be effected given the pecking order is effected with a hen gone.....it changes the whole dynamic.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Well the dynamic certainly changed; either Lillith the Sussex or Pixie the Bluebell laid an egg!

Will post a pic in due course.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I do think hens mourn, my Abbie wouldn't shut up for the best part of a day when Alice died. She just wailed and woke up the neighbours. But they will sort themselves out into a new order and get on with life.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Ok things have changed.

I have 2 egg layers who sing the song of the egg and they are all muddling along without a fight. All 3 are much more relaxed about being picked up too.

OH was saying when different animals have passed on at the farm, when they become an odd number they somehow seem to be more settled.

They desperately want to come out of their pen but I need to clip their wings. Although we are rural our garden backs onto a road and we have one 'attached' neighbour.

Dog still screams in excitement and is still on lead training in the garden. :?
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hi Pixie

I'm so pleased to hear things are settling down with the Pobs, 3 is a good number (mine usually settle into a 3) and they will love free ranging round your garden. Mine are quite happy pottering about mine. I haven't clipped their wings and they show no interest in making a break for it so you may not even need to wing clip (although mine is fenced off). Mine are more likely to sneak through an open door than fly over a fence - they are fat little lazy dumplings!

I hope you're enjoying chicken keeping a bit more now )t'
Karen
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Yes I am. To be honest I am so busy with Christmas I am just longing for some time to spend with them. The Sussex, who I wasn't fond of initially, is fast becoming my favourite. I don't mind poo picking or cleaning even when it was freezing! Really wish the dog would settle too so he can be out in the garden whilst they are in the run.

I wish they had a bigger run. 10.5ft x 7ft isn't so big really.

They have a treat ball and a big treat cube for Christmas. They love sprouts and broccoli and carrot greens.

They are just lovely )x(
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Merry Christmas from Lily, Winnie, Pixie and me.

)x( .san.jump. .sn< )x5( )x3( )x(
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Happy New Year Pixie and flock love from Sandy's Pink Ladies :-D

PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

sandy wrote:Happy New Year Pixie and flock love from Sandy's Pink Ladies :-D

Thank you Sandy and we wish you all a Happy New Year too! >mmm<
PixieDust
Lively Laner

Post by PixieDust »

Well 2015 has started. The Pobs are still pobbing along. I never heard back from the guy who sold them. Feel very disappointed in him. It seems Pixie, (Bluebell), is a daily layer. Every other day we get 2 eggs which as far as I can see is Pixie and Lily, (Light Sussex). Lily laid a yellowy mustard coloured egg and initially Pixie's had a plum blush, but now all are a mid brown colour. I did have one darker brown egg this morning along with a mid brown. This is the first morning of getting 2 eggs. Usually it's one in the morning and one in the afternoon. I have no idea if Winnie, (Columbine), is laying but it would be just my luck to get a Columbine that lays mid brown eggs.

I will post some pics later.

Winnie is the new Pob, in that she jumps on me all the time. Very curious and just loves laying on my arm chattering away. She did escape the run yesterday but I got her in quickly. They have not been out yet. Dog still howls the house down every time I go out to see them. He is able to go up to meet them on the lead and the minute he squeaks or claws at the wire he is immediately and quietly taken in the house. It's going to be a long time before he will have off lead use of his garden. He can't help it. He was born with nerve issues.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

It's so good to hear the Pobs are doing well, and you have a lap sitter again. Chickens are very friendly birds on the whole, but lap sitters are special. Winne may surprise you with a lovely blue or green egg one day. My Copper Black Rembrandt is supposed to lay lovely dark brown eggs but she lays mid brown ones too, as does Tigger my ex batt. I went for a Coral Nick to make sure I got a lovely white egg and Casper does me proud. Maybe go for a white star or coral nick next time if you want some guaranteed egg variety.
Karen